NOW what the hell have I done !! (1 Viewer)

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Same here cant wheelie if life depended on it.
Did clear a double on the Gas Gas in a competition last Sunday though frightened the crap out of me 1st time. Shouting with pleasure the more I did it by the end.
Who cares what we ride as long as it makes us smile.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have a suspicion that I might finish the project Bird, sell it on and get an R6 or CBR6 as a track bike so I can from one extreme to the other.
The Bird is a great mile muncher and will cruise on the autobahn ( unlimited sections of course ) at an easy 150mph, but if I am gonna use the armchair for EU travel will I still need the Bird ? A track bike would make far more sense

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Who cares what we ride as long as it makes us smile.

Now that makes some sense, but I have to admit this might just make me smile.

$_12.JPG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Bloody lot to keep clean after owning fully faired bikes for the past gawd knows how long ( cept the MB.. but they just gets jet washed and wiped down ! )

Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007
We had a Wing a while back but Shirley complained it wasn't comfortable !!!! She was quite happy on the pillions of the Pan European and the R1100 RT though.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
That will not go in the garage. you will need a four wheel trailer and put the van on that and tow it with the lump.

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
Your wing is lovely, had a few 1500's but never an 1800. After very bad accident (three and a half months in hospital ) for both myself and I found out that I could no longer ride a sole wing so imported a, California Sidecar Trike, toured Europe with going to "Wing Dings" and "Treffens" and towed it behind our motorhome too.
Was great for about 3 years then wife stared having flashbacks to the accident and would not go back on it again so it was sold.
But, several of our friends have trikes and only last week we went and looked at a "Motortrike" 1800 !!
Went for a run on it and she came too ! so keeping my fingers crossed that maybe we will get it, still have to work on her though.
You enjoy your new "Wing" they are fantastic machines, all the very best with it.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Hope to gawd the one that is coming has some better bowlers on than that thing ! With the amount of grip displayed I suspect it has been shod with some original solid plastic Goodridge things from the mid 1960's !!

Will not be getting mine for a couple of weeks as it has a private plate on it and they are gonna put a date related one on

Avon Cobras are the way to go John. Stelvio won't be a problem

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Avon Cobras are the way to go John. Stelvio won't be a problem
Good to know.. I am a massive Avon fan any way and still have my trade account with them !

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
No need for Solvol, most of the stuff that needs cleaning is plastic. Check the service sheets to make sure that the two factory recalls have been done, one for possible frame cracks on a batch made 2002-3 (very few were affected) and one a couple of years back for a rear brake problem.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Now a bike like that I wouldn't be scared to go on. 2 proper seats. Looks lovely.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Excellent...
No need for Solvol, most of the stuff that needs cleaning is plastic. Check the service sheets to make sure that the two factory recalls have been done, one for possible frame cracks on a batch made 2002-3 (very few were affected) and one a couple of years back for a rear brake problem.

Just the sort of info I need. The thing has been baby'd and has only one previous owner so hopefully the recalls will have been attended to.
Any idea where the cracks manifested and what the brake issue was ?

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
The frame cracks were on welds on the rear sub frame. Allegedly there was a batch of rogue welding wire on the production line. Most were OK, some were re-welded (apparently without the need to strip the bike down) and a very, very small number had the bikes replaced. Honda collected my bike and took it away to be checked and then brought it back, all with no problems. The rear brake fault was down to a valve sticking which could cause the rear brake to bind and overheat. Again not many were affected. This check was carried out at local Honda dealers.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Aha ! The rear brake thing was across a few models.. It was the PCV unit that was failing. Screwed up the brake balance point too !
I will look carefully at the rear disk for any blueing and take a good gander at the rear subframe..
Might end up designing some goody bits for the thing ( such as a delink kit, bar adjusters and a few other things ) ..
Just did a design for bar risers for the ZX12r Kwak.. got a nice healthy moola related out come to that wee project.
Once I get a bike that I can play with and get talking to folk about what they would like to change, the rest is pretty easy

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Its called retail therapy Gail ! Needed something to sort my head out with ;)

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
If you do your own maintenance and intend keeping the bike,may I suggest putting a K&N air filter in.
I don't want to get into any arguments about performance :mask:
but there is a long and tedious dismantling time to get to it,lots of plastic to remove,if you do make a cardboard template for the fittings around the stereo etc,some are different,after that all of the cable connectors are different colours and sized fittings but a long job compared with a NORMAL bike!
I found a bike lift a godsend,could lift the whole bike enough to facilitate easy rear wheel removal.
OH just a thought,don't get helmet intercoms,you will live to,regret it :mask:

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
Not really, as I have one of those already !!

Bought it cos of Woman.. She has a bit of trouble getting on the GS nowadays sooo.. And when I ride alone I am using a proper bike, and will not be using this two wheeled articulated lorry .............

The FJ's are ok if you like slow of course ;):D, but for play time I will stick to one of my Blackbirds (y)

Do you mean you have one that runs?:imoutahere:

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Just about everything you ever want for a Wing is available, usually Stateside, including risers. The air filter is a bit of a bind to get to. I've got it down to about one hour to get at it and a little less to put it back together again. You can get the rear wheel OUT by removing the centre section of the back plastic behind the number plate. However if you have a towbar fitted, you can't. As said a lift table is great but failing that put a piece of carpet on the floor and lay the bike down on it's right hand side and then it's a doddle. If you send me a PM with your address on it, I will send you a workshop manual on CD.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Do you mean you have one that runs?:imoutahere:

Runs perfectly, is MOT'd and is now also sold !!

Just about everything you ever want for a Wing is available, usually Stateside, including risers. The air filter is a bit of a bind to get to. I've got it down to about one hour to get at it and a little less to put it back together again. You can get the rear wheel OUT by removing the centre section of the back plastic behind the number plate. However if you have a towbar fitted, you can't. As said a lift table is great but failing that put a piece of carpet on the floor and lay the bike down on it's right hand side and then it's a doddle. If you send me a PM with your address on it, I will send you a workshop manual on CD.

Brilliant !!!
PM on the way :)

Like the BMW GS bikes all parts are available.. But they have been around for ever, had no design updates and little thought put in to them for years and years.. They are also damned expensive.

To put this in to perspective a Touratec throttle lock for the BMW's sits around the 64 quid mark.
My version ( similar but made with a bit more thought and therefore different ), £28. :)

Of course it is equally possible I will not do a darned thing with it other than ride it !!

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Wellllllll it was delivered yesterday morning..

Tassles had already been removed !!
I asked the guy why, he said even THEY thought they were completely tasteless tat and having spoken to me on the fone a few times knew full well I would be taking the bloody things off straight away !

JEEEZ its a heavy bugger..
Only rode it a wee way and it is the first bike I have even ridden where the weight does not go completely when moving.. ( But have not been over about 30mph yet as had to try it on a tiny bit of private road .. no tax or insurance yet, and indeed, not even a legal number plate !! )

The engine seems stonking.. as good as the Bird ( but of course no where NEAR the fun and urge )
It has bloody silly lights all over it, all sorts of gadgets and widgets, and even a big chrome bracket affair which holds two BIG flag poles ( as mentioned, it has been used as a parade bike )

Only issue I have found so far are a couple of LED's out..

Mind you, I have NO idea what half the stuff does.. Aint got an owners manual for it yet ( though do have a workshop manual !! )
There are extra switches all over the place, a light control box in the back box, another in one of the panniers, both of which ( apparently ) control the LEDs

There is a scrolling notice board mounted on the back too.. It comes with a big remote control used to program the thing ( and from experience of other boards will be a bloody nightmare to sort out )

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The Starship Enterprise has fewer controls! What an amazing machine. :) Only thing it seems to be missing is a dashcam, but someone here says he is putting in a new order soon....

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Only seen one Wing close up, in use. Totally creased me up when Mrs Wing decided to take off her waterproof overjacket (ie it had stopped raining and showed no sign of doing so again) and place in one of the side panniers. The 'lid' opened hydraulically .......

Can't say how it looked as if it handled really because although Dave & Jan were also with us and we'd pre-planned lunch at the Snake Pass inn, so you can work out some of the rest of the route - Mrs W didn't like twisties ......... oopsie !

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
They will go wherever any other road bike will go and in the correct hands, just as quickly. However many GoldWing owners buy them for the image and the ability to dress them and therefore are never going to be confident as riders, a trait I am sure that many H-D owners have. I take ride outs for my friends and the joke is that the run isn't finished until we've been down roads with grass down the middle.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Only seen one Wing close up, in use. Totally creased me up when Mrs Wing decided to take off her waterproof overjacket (ie it had stopped raining and showed no sign of doing so again) and place in one of the side panniers. The 'lid' opened hydraulically .......

Can't say how it looked as if it handled really because although Dave & Jan were also with us and we'd pre-planned lunch at the Snake Pass inn, so you can work out some of the rest of the route - Mrs W didn't like twisties ......... oopsie !

Not only hydraulically but from the remote key fob too !!

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Oh yeah, forgot that John! Rest of us with only Givis or the ones supplied by Triumph eg, have to do this manually. Such terribly hard work. Besides which - one supposes - if one has actually got any - one might even break a nail ........

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back