Now we are really b*ggered!!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by savantuk, Feb 12, 2010.

1. savantuk

savantuk Read Only Funster

Big brother is really watching now:Eeek:

A suspected car thief who hid from police in thick undergrowth became the first arrest made by a remote-controlled, heat-seeking hover drone.

The Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) - a four-rotor flying camera, operated by a police officer on the ground - spotted the 16-year-old suspect from 300ft away.

Its thermal imaging technology located the teenager on a dark night and pinpointed his hiding place.

The UAV has a top speed of 30mph with a ceiling of 400ft and comes with flashing police lights.

Merseyside Police, who took delivery of this hi-tech tool in November, reckons it can be used from serious firearms incidents and hostage situations to monitoring large public events and football matches. At £40,000 each, are far cheaper to use for small-scale operations than a conventional helicopter.

Chief Inspector Nick Gunatilleke, from the Anti-social Behaviour Taskforce, said: "We are the only police force in the country currently using a UAV like this, and this is the first time the thermal imaging equipment has led directly to an arrest since the UAV went live in November so we are very pleased.

"It also has a wealth of other technology on board and we will use it whenever we can to support other resources such as the force helicopter and dog patrols in dealing with incidents when they arise."

The incident happened in the Bootle area of Liverpool on January 26. A second 20-year-old man was also arrested, and both have since been released on bail pending further inquiries.

2. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

I am all for anything that catches the scroats. :thumb:

3. SandJ

SandJ Read Only Funster

Both youths who were well known to the judiciary were each given 100hrs community service, the judge commented.......the two lads were unaware of this new device so therefore may have well co-operated with the police. All charges were to be paid for by the tax payer.

I could go on but you get my drift :Angry:

4. Steve1087

Steve1087 Read Only Funster

The Force helicopter is a fabulous tool when villains have gone to ground. It used to give me a lovely warm feeling when the chopper led you straight to a suspect that you otherwise could not see. You really felt you had the upper hand when the 'eye in the sky' was there. This sounds like another good piece of kit which will also be useful in search and rescue operations.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  5. geoff1947

geoff1947 Read Only Funster

Go for it

I'm all for it as long as they catch the scroats that think they can nick from honest hard working citizens.:thumb:

6. Losos

Losos Read Only Funster

I am not really bothered if some people see this as 'Big Brother' the fact is that the law has been tilted so much in favour of the criminal that, as mentioned above, the Police need all the help they can get

7. Dreamchaserrv

Dreamchaserrv Read Only Funster

Now they have this fine machine, why don't they do a proper job and fix a couple of missiles underneath? It will save the time and effort with the idiot magistrates and stupid judges.:Rofl1::Rofl1:

8. grandpabeard

grandpabeard Read Only Funster

Its Alright if its used for the fight against crime but it will soon be turned against the man in the street because he is an easier target

9. dazzer

dazzer Read Only Funster

How long till they strap a speed camera on them?? :Doh:

10. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

I wish they'd use one round here - we get sick to death of the helicopter overhead in the middle of the night!!!!:cry:

11. Bulletguy

Bulletguy Read Only Funster

This reminded me of a clip shown on a recent TV Police series where a microlight pilot who was giving rides to the public had just taken off with his fare paying passenger onboard when he spotted something odd. A Transit van which did a quick reverse into someones driveway, hitched up a caravan and towed it away. Unbelievably when he looked closer he realised the caravan belonged to a friend of his.....so he called him up on his mobile and asked if he had lent his caravan out to anyone!

The microlight pilot told his passenger what was going on and that he may be in for a longer ride than expected as he began to follow the Transit.

Meanwhile the caravan owner had got in his car to give chase following directions given him by his pal in the microlight.

Eventually the Transit pulled into a lay-by and this was where the owner caught up with the astonished thief. As the microlight was fitted with an onboard video the entire scene was caught on camera.

One very very lucky caravan owner!

12. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

I wonder how long it wil be befor they become a motor home accessory, launch if from your roof, send it ahead to find a aire, land it to reserve the place....all piloted by the passanger.................

13. Hycon

Hycon Read Only Funster

So whats the point we the taxpayer pays for the drone and police and then, when they catch the culprits we the taxpayer pays the fine cost etc via the benifits system .
    Heads they win tails we lose.:shout:

14. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Probably this one. It will be very interesting when they get the first failure/error and it drops on someone.

No way should it be used over a crowd.

No way can it be used except under ideal weather conditions.

So don't panic just yest unless it's right over you.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ3sa1iGcZo[/ame]

15. geoff1947

geoff1947 Read Only Funster