LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Having not "camped" in the UK for around 10yrs and then it was in a tent, we got this week a real taste of British camping again...

Now I have to say that some things on this site have confused me since joining as we have only been used to caravanning in France, Germany, Switzerland and Italy in the last 7yrs or so. Could never work out why there were so many posts about aerials, TV's and satellite dishes etc, plus the generator thing and then I remember reading about people saying they sometimes get stuck and need tractors to pull them out ??? Remember we're used to Euro sand pit campsites etc...

So during our annual homage to Blighty this year we came in the Ice Cream van and made some over nights on route. On Tuesday we went to Ambleside and stayed one night at Millers Field which I have to say is a great field and good value at £10 p/night. As we exited J36 off the M6 something very strange started to fall from the sky and the children had to ask what it was, "it's called rain" was the answer they received. After quite some time we arrived in Ambleside although we did have to pass through lots of cars which the locals called "traffic" ok you get the point. Arrived at said field and had basically 3 options to pitch up, hard standing near the entrance, field in the middle or hard standing opposite the field: as usual the furthest away was chosen. As it rained all evening it did cause us to have a great fish and chip dinner which was a nice treat although we couldn't help but notice that pretty much all MH's or Tin Tents had a TV on, well I guess there's nowt much else to do when it's p1$$ing it down:thumb: OK now I see why everyone here has a TV etc all starting to make sense now. Had a good nights sleep even if it did rain through the night and then woke up to hear what sounded like wheels spinning:whatthe: Yep an early (ish) departer had attempted to leave but the site wasn't allowing it, the field had a very firm grip on his tires and he was going no where except further down into the mud... Now I see why you need tractors near sites in the UK, definitely making sense now. OK in the end someone worked out there was a back entrance and he managed to get out that way so all was good, and we quickly did the same.

Must admit we had a great 2 days up there but I have to say that camping, motor homing etc is certainly different in the UK and all part of the out doors fun experience.

Might try Padstow next year (missed it off this year) and then we'll take our motorized satellite , plasma TV and TOAD with Tractor so we're prepared:ROFLMAO:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Don't you telling all those frogs how good it is over here, we don't want them flooding over.

[ apart from one of course ]

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Welcome to summer UK style, TV is important so that you can check where the sun might be shining and then head in that dirrection

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
[HI] As we exited J36 off the M6 something very strange started to fall from the sky and the children had to ask what it was, "it's called rain" was the answer they received.[/HI]

So it never rains in Lausanne! I didn't know that! I suppose your lake must fill up with the rain that falls everywhere else:RollEyes:

Pete:Cool:

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
[HI] As we exited J36 off the M6 something very strange started to fall from the sky and the children had to ask what it was, "it's called rain" was the answer they received.[/HI]

So it never rains in Lausanne! I didn't know that! I suppose your lake must fill up with the rain that falls everywhere else:RollEyes:

Pete:Cool:

Fills up with melted snow that came in winter:thumb:

Think they'd jus never seen it raining so hard and then for s long. Guy in the walking shop in Hawkshead said he had taken some photographs the day before, first in 6wks due to low hanging cloud and rain that the had experienced recently

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back