Now for the next by pass - Armour media unit (1 Viewer)

Nigel&Debbie

Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
Having sorted out the issue of having rear lights on with the engine running, next project is now to be able to use the Ext 2 function on the Autotrail media unit with engine running.

The reason for this 'bypass' is to allow an ipod to be fitted to the input so that it can be used whilst driving along. The ipod does not work via the mini usb as the file system is to big.

The unit is made by Armour Audio. On initial examination, it would appear that the 'safety off' is operated via a wire labelled 'handbrake +ve' Disconnecting this cable does not work.

Any help gratefully received on finding a solution

nigel

Deckard

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
...looking
Exp
Noob
Well I am no expert....but i would proceed as follows....

Set the unit up with the wire connected - have a multimeter connected to read the voltage state - set handbrake on (check reading) handbrake off (check reading)

I would expect that one state passes a voltage - and this is key - as it maybe easy to assume a 12v read but it could be less or more - so this part is important to avoid damage to the unit.

Checking the voltage state will allow you to discern when this actives the disable or enable state on the unit. As it doesnt allow the device to function disconnected (and therefore nil volts) it would initially appear that a positive voltage of some kind would be required.

Checking the voltage is important, as if the application of a voltage to the sensor wire you describe, requires a "manual" feed - ie connecting a 6/12/24v "feed" to fool the unit, you MUST supply the right voltage or in the case of over-voltage supply you WILL damage your unit.

If you are not comfortable messing with wires, meters and such like, find a trustworthy auto electrician, is shouldn't cost much to have a mod fitted.

Just as a footnote, if you make the mod - put a note in the vans manuals - i HATE having to figure out someones mods on electrics!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
It will be a live circuit - you will need to power the handbrake wire, rather than disconnecting.:thumb:

Make sure it is fused, check voltage as above post.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nigel&Debbie

Nigel&Debbie

Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
Done it ::bigsmile:

We can now have an ipod connected via Ext 2 and play it in the move.

There is a brown wire going into the rear of the unit, marked "handbrake +ve" . If you follow this wire, it will lead your to a relay unit which has been merely dropped down into the depth of the dash board (approx. 12" of cable). Simply disconnect the red wire going to the relay at its connector, and hey presto it is sorted.

I had to fit an AV switch unit as I also use EXT 2 for sat TV. The unit was £9.99 from maplins.

Before lectures start, I have no intention or desire to use video functions whilst on the move. The purpose is to allow Ipod usage whilst on the move and to avoid losing video when starting engine to power B2B whilst stationary.

Thanks for the help.

Nigel

ps if any body needs more info, let me know.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back