Now don’t laugh but I just broke my knob (3 Viewers)

Sep 10, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 309
Exp
since 2011 but years in a caravan
Now don’t laugh but I just broke my knob:whatthe: (stop it) it’s on the fiat Ducato 2.8 jtd gear stick
Looking at a few forums I see Im not on my own but it seems the only place to get a replacement is the fiat main dealers and they are arounf £30.:Eeek:
Anyone know where I can get one cheaper

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi :thumb: well somebody's got to ask :Doh: which / what knob
terry

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
If its just come of the gear stick,why not buy one from the custom car suppliers,either Halfrauds or ask your 'friendly neighbourhood chav'.
To find one just go to MacDonalds any evening and look for a Corsa or Saxo wortyh about £50 with a can on the exhaust!:ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
John-Laika
Sep 10, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 309
Exp
If its just come of the gear stick,why not buy one from the custom car suppliers,either Halfrauds or ask your 'friendly neighbourhood chav'.
To find one just go to MacDonalds any evening and look for a Corsa or Saxo wortyh about £50 with a can on the exhaust!:ROFLMAO:
I looked on ebay but they are not any good for the type that as a lift to get into reverse

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Link Removed
or ebay search for Ducato gear knob :winky:
terry
edit- crossed post heehee
try local scrapyard/breakers-- or -find a part

Last edited:

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
i had the same problem last year on my 2.8jtd and tried sticking it with some sikaflex , did not work and had to buy a new one from a fiat dealer £35:Sad:

OP
OP
John-Laika
Sep 10, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 309
Exp
i had the same problem last year on my 2.8jtd and tried sticking it with some sikaflex , did not work and had to buy a new one from a fiat dealer £35:Sad:
Thanks freelanderuk, I dont mind spending money when it needed but £35 seems a lot to pay for a ball, think I will glue it back on.
John

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Maybee you arebeing a little rough with it:Doh: Broken Link Removed:ROFLMAO:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Ours came off in France whilst doing a 3 point turn on a busy road ::bigsmile: I had the knob in my hand and the spring flew past my ear.
I wrapped gaffer tape round the shaft and hammered the knob back on-once a week for a month !!
The replacement part for mine,an 06 Ducato 2ltr JTD,was £40 from the main dealer.

Mike.

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Now don’t laugh but I just broke my knob:whatthe: (stop it) it’s on the fiat Ducato 2.8 jtd gear stick
Looking at a few forums I see Im not on my own but it seems the only place to get a replacement is the fiat main dealers and they are arounf £30.:Eeek:
Anyone know where I can get one cheaper
look in Halfords new gear lever knobs from £6.99

Incamania

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Preston
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2002
Gear Leaver Knoob

Hi JnC
Same thing happened to me when in Germany last year, luckily I had some
quick set epoxy and glued it back together again (Its still together now and in use) Tried to obtain one in Germany but continental ones are not compatable.
My Inca is a Peugeot ( in name but basically a Fiat 2.8Hdi )so forced to buy a replacement through Peugeot cost £38. I searched everywhere for a cheepee but no luck.
I thought of the local scrap yard but you never know whether you've got a good one and its a bit disconcerting when you're in traffic and a shower of plastic, spring, etc flies off in your hand.
I keep the new one handy in case the Araldite parts company, 'fraid you'll have to bite the bullet!!! sorry.:cry:.
ATB
Incamania

OP
OP
John-Laika
Sep 10, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 309
Exp
Hi JnC
Same thing happened to me when in Germany last year, luckily I had some
quick set epoxy and glued it back together again (Its still together now and in use) Tried to obtain one in Germany but continental ones are not compatable.
My Inca is a Peugeot ( in name but basically a Fiat 2.8Hdi )so forced to buy a replacement through Peugeot cost £38. I searched everywhere for a cheepee but no luck.
I thought of the local scrap yard but you never know whether you've got a good one and its a bit disconcerting when you're in traffic and a shower of plastic, spring, etc flies off in your hand.
I keep the new one handy in case the Araldite parts company, 'fraid you'll have to bite the bullet!!! sorry.:cry:.
ATB
Incamania
Araldite, thats the way I was thinking of going so now I know yours is still on I will give it a go.
John

Incamania

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Preston
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2002
Repairs to gear lever Knob

Hi
Tks for info on Gator Glue.
Just been looking it up on 'G', hadn't heard of it before, but will definitely get some for the Mhome repair kit as I've had mixed results with super glues.
However, as I understand it Gator is a contact adhesive not a 'Gap Filling' bonding adhesive, so it wouldn't have repaired the gear knob as the breaks were not clean and slivers of plastic were missing.
Horses for courses! :thumb:
ATB
Incamania

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Hi
Tks for info on Gator Glue.
Just been looking it up on 'G', hadn't heard of it before, but will definitely get some for the Mhome repair kit as I've had mixed results with super glues.
However, as I understand it Gator is a contact adhesive not a 'Gap Filling' bonding adhesive, so it wouldn't have repaired the gear knob as the breaks were not clean and slivers of plastic were missing.
Horses for courses! :thumb:
ATB
Incamania

Ahhh, but it IS a gap filling adhesive - it forms a foam expansion which you can leave or trim to suit.

I wouldn't use any other glue now, it's replaced Bostik; Araldite; and various Superglues in my toolbox.

I have no connection to either manufacturer or importer, just sharing my experience.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back