Nothing to do with motor home but a techy question about Sky+ (1 Viewer)

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
I have a Sky+ box that has not been used for several years since I stopped paying for Sky.
On that box is a brief recording of my father-in-law being interviewed for a local news item. My father-in-law died last week and I thought it would be nice if I could get a copy of the interview off the Sky box for my wife. Can anyone of the experts on this forum let me know:
a) can I access the recording without having to have a valid Sky viewing card? and, if so
b) is there any way I can get this recording onto my PC?
I suspect the answer is 'no' to both questions but I'd like to be sure.
Thanks,
Bill

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I think you should be able to access what's stored on the hard drive as long as it wasn't recorded from a subscription channel which a local news story won't be.

I don't know if you can transfer it to another device though.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
There is a solution:

Connect from the Sky box to a DVD recorder set to Line In.

Put a blank DVD in the slot, press record and play back the item from the Sky box.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
^^ this ^^
but
you might need to reactivate the sky subscription to access recording playback.
I wouldn't risk a new subscription as it might wipe the existing programmes.

http://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/skypluscopying.html

Possibly but I think, although not 100% sure, that this would only apply if it was something you had recorded from a subscription channel i.e. Sky 1 or Sky Movies. Something that you recorded from a free to air channel, which I'm assuming a local news item would be, should be accessible without a subscription.

That's a good link though, there are a couple of other options there assuming the content is accessible (y)

OP
OP
Bill_OR
Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
Thanks for your suggestions. The link from Langtoftlad has reminded me that I have a VHS to PC transfer cable/box that might just do the trick. However the current position is that I have fallen before getting to the starting line as I can't find the bl**dy Sky+ box! I know we brought it with us when we moved house 3 years ago and I'm pretty certain that I didn't unpack it as I switched to FreeSat straight away - but where did I put the box? Bother!!

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
You need a valid sky+ subscription and viewing card to playback.
If it is a free to air channel, then any Sky+ activated card should work
If it was on a sky encrypted channel, then playback will only work if the card is paired to the box,.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
a) can I access the recording without having to have a valid Sky viewing card? and, if so
You need a Sky viewing card to view the recording contents.
Suggestion: Contact Sky, and see if one of their subscription free cards will let you watch the contents.

b) is there any way I can get this recording onto my PC?
Sky use their own proprietary encryption to stop the great unwashed copying programmes off their "boxes". Even a hard drive removed from a Sky box can't be read from a PC / Mac :(
Suggestion: Contact the broadcaster who aired the news piece, and ask for a copy of the interview ? It won't be an uncommon request, so maybe they already have processes / prices in place ?

OP
OP
Bill_OR
Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
Looks like I've wasted everyone's time as there is no sign of the Sky+ box in the house - I'm wondering if we've given it away :-(
Sorry!
@Gizmouk - that's for the suggestion about contacting the TV station. We'll try to work out who it was and contact them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back