Not How I Wanted To Get Home

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by camocam1, Jun 7, 2015.

1. camocam1

camocam1 Read Only Funster

image.jpg 6 weeks round France covering 3600 miles since left home end of April and get to Strsthclyde CC site last night 200 miles from home and get bad burning smell at about 9.30pm then no power from leasure or van battery
    Disconnect both batteries and used EHU only and recovered this morning at 2nd attempt !!! First truck too bloody small
    Now waiting to hear from the dealer as too how we get repair done as due off again at end of month for 4 weeks

What a welcome back to the UK

2. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

So sorry to hear of the problem. Hope you get it sorted soon and that it is a simple, cheap and quick fix.

The bright spot is that you did not have to be recovered 1,000 miles away from home - I suppose.

3. Martin OSullivan

Martin OSullivan

Horrible feeling, had it last year in France, we had 3 lorrys that were too small though LOL. Hope your sorted soon

4. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Sympathies, puts our little problems over gas in perspective. But at least it happened close to home!

Many years ago I had an engine literally fall out of a car, failed engine mount, the sump was dragging on the road.

Rang the RAC and told them it needed a flat bed to recover me. They sent a guy on a motorcycle!

But it kept their statistics for responding on track...

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  5. scousebird

scousebird Funster

Hope you get it sorted soon

6. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

Sorry to hear that but as others have said far better closer to home.
    Just an aside with all these threads about "weight". In your photograph I just cannot see that the recovery truck cannot be overloaded on the rear axle? Especially when you note how much of your MH is behind his axle !

7. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Hi gus-lopez.
    Take it from me......... "It's an optical illusion officer" ....... And OFF you go....LOL
    Tea Bag

• Like Like x 1
  8. colinw

colinw Read Only Funster

After seeing the wiring on my van , I pity the person that has to sort out electrics on any van !
    Hope it gets sorted soon for you .
    How did you enjoy France ? , we're going on the 28th for 6 weeks .(y)

9. camocam1

According to the driver it can carry 5ton !!! I saw a plate that said " max load 3.5!!!
    Dealer who is 175miles away has agreed that MH can go into local dealer who I know and trust next week so time will tell how easy it is or not
    ColinW as for France I have mixed feelings
    Loved the Country ( been many time without MH) but found that getting about and parking a large MH rather stressful at time especially when sat nav packing in first week there
    Too many villages that we wanted to visit had 3.5t restrictions !!! But will go back at some point and give it another go
    Hope you enjoy your beak

• Like Like x 2
  10. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Being a recovery driver makes you exempt from common sense.....took years to regain mine.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Adbt

Adbt Funster

Update re cause of breakdown? Cheers

12. Jimbohorlicks

Jimbohorlicks Funster

i thought the 3.5t restriction only applied to trucks etc -not motorhomes. I understand the 3.5t limit was to stop lorries etc going thru the villages:cautious:

13. Adbt

Adbt Funster

?

14. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I am not taking any chances, got caught on a 'technicality' many years ago in France, not risking it again, they like our cash and plenty of it at the roadside, cost me 700 euros

Bypass for me every time. sometimes if there is a lorry symbol I might take a chance but not if only the number 3.5T

To OP, glad things are getting sorted (y)

• Like Like x 1
  15. campa cola

campa cola Funster

Hope it gets sorted soon, not a nice experience :(

16. tjay

tjay Funster

Hi Camocam, had similar problems last year with our Bailey Approach when in Benidorm, we were wakened up by the smoke alarm going off !! Once out of bed I discovered the cause of it going off. It was the RCB/12v leisure battery smoking and giving off fumes had no 12v power !! the 240 was alright as was the vehicle battery, we were only two weeks into a ten week holiday !!.
    Called Bailey after having it checked by the guy below who happened to be onsite and we had made friends over a few drinks.
    Fell out with them as they said I had to go via the dealers, told them that I was in Spain and they had better get a replacement sent to me, it took 8 days to arrive !!
    Bill fitted it for me and did the attached report (this was copied to Bailey's and the Dealer
    Was also informed by the dealer that this is a known fault and since then the dealer has given up on Bailey motorhomes and no longer sells them.
    The report given to Bailey's was never replied too and upon our return to the UK we sold ours as we both felt very unsafe with and I could not sleep that well ever again.
    I sincerely hope that you get your motorhome sorted asap and also hope that the copy of Bills letter will give you added leverage.
    Regards
    Tom & Jen

Date of Report; 01.09.2014
    Date of Inspection; 31.08.2014
    Place of inspection; Orange Grove Camping Site, Benidorm. Spain
    With regards to your concern of a possible electrical fault as per vehicle details in heading above, I can confirm that;
    Findings;
    A. The 240v/12v mains switch is tripping at the "Consumer Board".
    B. A visual electrical inspection at the "Consumer Board" showed severe burning at the cable connections to the 240v/12v transformer.
    C. A direct short between +Ve and -Ve exists at point "B" above.
    D. The smell of burning is clearly present around the "Consumer Board".
    E. Without performing an intrusive test the root cause is most probable being a poor electrical connection from cable to 12v transformer resulting in overheating thus partial discharge leading to full discharge and burning.
    Recommendations;
    A. Remove the damaged "Consumer Board".
    B. Test vehicle electrics.
    C. Install new "Consumer Board".
    D. Test electrical performance of the "Consumer Board".
    Safety recommendations;
    A. Do not attempt to switch on the 240v/12v mains switch at point "A" (Findings), this could result in further damage to the vehicle electrics, and surrounding area of the "Consumer Board". The12v supply is just now unavailable to you but cannot be avoided until a new "Consumer Board" is installed and tested.
    Your bill will be sent accordingly.
    Please contact me should you need further information.
    Regards
    William Lygate (MSc Electrical Eng, BEng (Hons) Electronics)
    Lygate Systems (UK) Ltd
    Mobile; 07584658345

• Like Like x 1
  17. camocam1

Cheers Tjay
    Our problem is definitely related to the rear lights as the traylar socket not working now either. When this happened we had no lights on drivers side rear but yesterday we had breaklights today none but we have indicators !!
    The power feed to the truma heater for some reason runs up through the lighting ducting so problem at the moment is
    Is it a Peugeot fault
    Or a Bailey fault
    As both wires are burned
    Hopefully the local guy will be able to fix it as Im lost as never seen so many wires in one small space
    Have to say I am beginning to loose confidence in the van so may sell it once fixed despite not having had it a year !!! Will be a big hit on the picket