Not Good In Calais Last Saturday - Migrants Ggrrrrrr!!

Discussion in 'France' started by brimo, Jun 11, 2015.

1. brimo

brimo

Drove into Calais last Friday 5th June and parked at Citie Europe after travelling down to Croatia and being away for 8 weeks. We have parked at Citie Europe for the past five years, four times a year without a problem but last Friday afternoon we sat in our van (there were about 8 other vans there) and watched migrants, about seven of them, checking out the underneath of coaches and buses parked just further up the car park we were parked on.

About 6.30 they started blatantly checking out the motorhomes themselves including our own. The cheeky beggar then had the brass neck to casually walk down the side of our van and peer in the windows to give my wife a cheesy smile !!!! These guys had no fear at all.

I got out and had a word with a few of the other English motorhomers. I told them I was going to the big aires by Bleriot beach but one guy said it was 20 times worse there. They were talking about Gravelines being the safest nearest aire so we, and about three other vans elected to go there. It was quiet and safe there.

As stated before we've been to Citie Europe many, many times and its always felt safe but I do know that they now put the lights out there come about 11 pm and we just did not fancy being parked there in total darkness with so many migrants hanging around and being so bold and desperate.

What has changed? personally I think the numbers of migrants have increased dramatically and either the French police are understaffed and unable to cope or the French are letting the situation get out of hand.

Personally, I won't be stopping in the Calais area until this is sorted properly. Things are simply getting out of hand now !!!

• Like Like x 4
  2. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

have heard from a few people that some people have been stupid enough to actually help smuggle people in, in their vehicles

3. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

You're right when you say they have no fear at all. They've nothing to lose, French police don't want to arrest them, they are fed by a few churches/ charities and the French authorities are probably glad for as many to disappear as possible. If they disappear to the UK via lorries, buses or motorhomes then they're someone else's problem.
    No other European country hands out benefits & it is relatively simple for anyone illegally in Britain to become invisible. Cultural ties and mores are strong, providing shelter, employment and often exploitation until the debt is paid off.
    I think you were wise to move somewhere you felt safer.

• Like Like x 1
  4. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

As you drive up to the Calais Port gates the two lanes split into freight on the right and tourist traffic on the left, a few hundred metres from the gate. Trouble is, if the Police pull a truck over to check it, they pull it into to the left lane, which snarls up the tourist traffic. Anyone turfed off a truck then wanders back down the traffic jam eyeing up alternative means of transport.

So, if the left lane stops, join the truck lane if it's still moving - you won't get stuck in it because you can pull back across just short of the gate.

• Like Like x 2
  5. MikeD

MikeD Funster

We have already made a decision not to travel home via Calais. It will be a ferry from another port back to Britain until they sort this out.

It is not so much that we feel unsafe, more a feeling that I don't want my motorhome damaged. Bike rack safe working load 35kgs. Illegal immigrant using it to climb on the roof = 100kgs.

But we are stupid in the UK. We give everything away. :(

• Like Like x 3
  6. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Stopped on CalaisAire last Tuesday night plenty of vans a few immigrants wandering around doing no harm. Take pity on them and buy them a big bag of frites to share that's what we do.
    We had a good safe nights sleep and a nice cosy feeling from doing a good deed.
    Don't understand this terrible fear folk have of them they're just people, plenty far worse of the home grown variety already here.

• Like Like x 23
  7. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

I agree they are just people and they are struggling, however they are desperate and desperate people are potentially dangerous. seeing all the obvious wealth of people owning motorhomes when they themselves have nothing must add to the desperation to get here to their perceived land of plenty

• Like Like x 3
  8. Cobweb

Cobweb

We had a similar experience in Cite De Europe 4 years ago when doing our shopping . One of us stayed in the van . No way would we stay there overnight!

9. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Hughman on here picked up two last year overnighting there....only discovered when he got to tunnel?

And you will still get mebell saying everything Tickety boo in Calais! lol

We use gravelines as well

There ste so many of these lads there because it works! They manage to get across eventually,..

Last week driving back from weekend in Brighton on M23, overhead sign flashing "pedestrians on motorway" everyone slows right down, big jam and there he was on the hard shoulder walking towards London, as young black lad with a mobile phone calmly sauntering along oblivious of the danger..

But agree with forestboy they are on the whole decent happy young lads, most of them educated and none we have seen are threatening.....
    My main worry is I don't want one falling of and being killed.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  10. denisejoe

denisejoe Funster

If they try it with our van this weekend they're in for a shock - they'll end up further into France!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

And they won't bat an eye lid.
    Happens every day.

• Like Like x 1
  12. brimo

brimo

To reiterate, I wasn't bothered about them getting under the van because there's nowhere to hang on under there. I was more concerned with them possibly breaking into one of the lockers during the dark hours of the night when the lights have gone out.

I'd rather not take the chance nice lads or not as stated they are desperate !!

• Like Like x 2
  13. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ex Rochdale now Tavira, S. Brittany & Europe
    Never seems to happen when I stop on a site, funny that.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Ladylea

Ladylea Funster

We stayed in Cite europe on Saturday the 6th June there were 10 other motorhomes there we planned to stay in Wissant aire but it was full by midday a few other motorhomes ended up in Cite Europe also finding the aire at Wissant full. We saw only 2 migrants walking around about 6 o clock . Had a good nights sleep and left earlier next morning for the tunnel. No sign of any migrants there.

• Like Like x 2
  15. iandsm

iandsm Funster

Laudible sentiments,yes they are just people, desperate people who don't live by our standards. I wonder if the terrible fear you speak of is caused by the knowledge that there are regular riots and fighting with weapons between these people and the knowledge that they desperate people who in most cases have come from countries where this is no rule of law and has for many years been little regard for others. I don't wonder that some motorhomes would imagine that given what they have gone through and the way they live, these people wouldn't think twice, given the opportunity to break into a motorhome and take whatever they can, to try to secrete themselves in or on it.

I really do pity them and their predicament. But when it comes down to it I would apply what I believe is their own code of conduct. Me and mine come first and look out anyone who threatens that.

• Like Like x 10
  16. Jonkil

Jonkil Funster

Back from Germany yesterday by light aircraft and I overflew Calais and the amount of plastic/tarpaulins/tin huts in the wooded area close to there is staggering. French definitely dragging their heels and the governments of Europe need to get together and define a strategy of solving this. While I have sympathy for these emigrants, it is nothing more than economic migration of people.
    Don't know how it can be done but it needs addressing earlier in their journey rather than attempting to prevent entry at a French-England bottleneck.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
    • Like Like x 6
  17. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

We have always tried to arrange our Ferry crossings to avoid overnighting at Calais.
    We live about 4 hrs from Dover,so,set off around lunchtime,overnight at Dover.Get early ferry (0900 ish),land at Calais and drive to the Auchan at St Omer to shop and get fuel and LPG if needed,then drive a couple of hours to wherever we decide to spend first night.
    On return journey we like to spend a couple of nights at Wimereux (Municipal camp site) wander along the promenade,have nice lunch and evening meal/s.On 'Ferry Day' we leave after breakfast, go to Auchan at St Omer do a major shop,fill up with fuel,replenish LPG tank if necessary,have lunch then drive to Calais for mid afternoon ferry. (y)

• Like Like x 2
  18. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I always timed my travels so my overnight stop was about 2 hours from Calais. No migrant gangs that far away. Then a two hour drive to Calais to get on train. I would never stay near Calais overnight...

• Like Like x 5
  19. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Watch out watch out the Bogeymans about
    Sleep with one eye open or he'll get you
    Can often be seen late at night in Calais France
    Sometimes with a gas cannister under his arm. bogeyman.jpeg
    :rofl::rofl::rofl:

• Like Like x 8
  20. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

You didn't think a couple of Bombing runs were in order ? :D
    & yes you are quite right it needs addressing as they leave the African coast & stopped there.

Me, I always use Dunkirk & the last person who looked in to my motorhome door window (Santander along front 1984) ended up with a fractured skull when he fell of the rear step.

• Like Like x 1