Not a motorhome to store, but a Berlingo van - near London??

Discussion in 'Motorhome Storage' started by YukonJac, Sep 17, 2015.

1. YukonJac

YukonJac Funster

Hi gang,

I'm letting my rented flat go and am planning a good 8-9 months of motorhoming on the continent come this Christmas. I need a safe, inexpensive place to leave my little work van while I'm away. I don't have family in the UK and most of my friends are London-based (ergo, no easy parking).

Any ideas, suggestions/recommendations within an hour or two of London?

Thanks in advance!!

Jacquie

2. westy407

westy407 Funster

Hi

We store our motorhome at Barnfield storage near Braintree Essex, it's a secure site and costs us less than a tenner a week and It take about 45 minutes into East London .

• Like Like x 1
  3. YukonJac

YukonJac Funster

Thanks for that westy407,

Sounds very reasonable indeed, and they take different types of vehicles too. Will look into it!

Jacquie

4. Mel

Mel Funster

Is Sandwich too far away?
    There is a farm there where you could leave the berlingo under cover.
    And leave the Motorhome there when away in the small van
    If its any good will try to find the farmers contact details.

Mel

• Like Like x 1
  5. Zains Pops

Zains Pops Funster

http://www.assuredcaravanstorage.co.uk
    These guys store any vehicle, you can rent a container if you wish and keep your van dry. It's about 20 minutes to Chelmsford Station (by bus) then 30 minutes to Liverpool Street. Give them a call, I've always found then ok to deal with.

• Like Like x 1
  6. YukonJac

YukonJac Funster

All good thanks! Mel, I would love the details of that farm if you come across them. I worry a bit about mice chewing away at the insulated wires etc on a farm, but perhaps I will stumble on a way to avoid that. Assured looks good too ZP - nice to have a choice!
    Thanks guys

7. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

I would strongly suggest the swiftest most lethal way of sending them to meet their maker - I've had MH wiring chewed by rodents on rural storage sites. There are numerous MHF threads on this topic. Traps have a limited value once they're sprung and you're away for a long time. Bait blocks might be a better option, including outside the van near the obvious access point, which is the front wheels. I've found the best option here is to suspend a good few of them on wire inside a wide plastic rainproof container with an entry hole cut in it. The small containers you see in B&Q et al can easily get bunged up with expired rodents.

Your van's battery will go flat during that time unless you take it out and arrange for it to be trickle charged somewhere. You can get a small solar top up charger that you put in the windscreen but I'd question whether that would work over winter.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Terry

Terry Funster

If I was you I would sell the Berlingo and buy another on your return -save the headache-they are cheap enough and would prob loose more than the storage costs in a year -ish
    terry

• Like Like x 2
  9. YukonJac

YukonJac Funster

I've got good reasons for hanging on to it, thanks. It will also serve as a storage container for other things saving me money on that.