Feb 21, 2015
Darlington
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi to all
For some reason I am being drawn to owning a motorhome I am doing my research online but any advice would be appreciated on what to buy or not to buy and what to look out for
Cheers

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Welcome to "Fun"....

Lot`s of information on here and knowledgeable folk ... what size M.Home, how many berths, what sort of lay out would you want.. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

trekkin

Free Member
Sep 12, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
5 years but still learning
Hi

Easy really,

Decide where you are going to park it, this will give indication on size
What driving licence you have will dictate the max weight,
Where you are going to get it serviced/repaired this may indicate the chassis and engine
It's going to be a home more than a motor, so get the layout right. Spend a few hours, day camp, sit on the toilet, stand in the shower, does it all feel right, go through the motions of making a drink, do you have enough work top etc

Then you just have to look around to find "the one" you will know as soon as you set foot in it

Easy really, no very difficult take your time do not rush, you can only spend your money once....and when it's gone it's gone.

The best advice, buy your third Motorhome first as you will be well knowledgeable with hindsight.

Adrian

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Hi and Welcome to Fun.
How about going to a dealer near to you and just have a wander round, sit in them all, look at the storage, the layouts, bathrooms and kitchens.
You'll probably get an idea of what you don't want from that, then you can start a list of what you do want.
Like everything, there's usually a compromise but just trying out lots is a start.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
just make sure that you will have enough time to get away to justify the outlay.....

Reactions: CWH
Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
try hiring one for a week first.

Reactions: CWH
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
What ever size you think you need............. a smaller one will do it just as well (if not better) :rolleyes:

It is really too easy to get caught up in the drama, and in the showroom to get 'showroom fever' and convince yourself you must have the biggest baddest one ............ ;)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
All good advice above.

Another idea is to come along to a meet or rally as a day visitor and lots of people ill show you their vans and be honest about the good and not so good points.

There are quite a few Funsters near you so you might even get some invites anyway :)

Oh and

hello.jpg

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello welcome, the best start you could make is investing £10 for full membership that will get you discounts and advice at your finger tips :welc:

Nov 8, 2014
DORSET
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Nuevo EK
Hi to all
For some reason I am being drawn to owning a motorhome I am doing my research online but any advice would be appreciated on what to buy or not to buy and what to look out for
Cheers
Read the dealer review page on this website, remember BUYER BEWARE, do your homework, and enjoy it. Also think that Jims book available here is a good start.
Be lucky

Bing

Free Member
Feb 20, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
We have been looking for 10years, (after borrowing one for couple of weeks). We bought our first just before christmas as a pressie to ourselves. Don't rush but don't wait as long as us!!!!

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
Hello and welcome :welc:. Take your time researching , this place is invaluable ! .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back