Norwich and Peterborough (1 Viewer)

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Bugger, N&P are being closed as a brand by owners Yorkshire Building Society and YBS don't offer current accounts. We loved N&P because they didn't charge a foreign transaction fee but that's gone now.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a current account that doesn't charge for foreign transactions?

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
SHIT ! ! !
When does that become effective ? ? ?
We are in Spain till March, with N and P visa cards from our joint current account ! ! !
Mitch...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 20, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
IH N680CRL
Exp
Since 2006
That's a real shame. Latest news says they will be writing to account holders over the next year setting out options. I think we're about to test the bank account 'Switch Guarantee'

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I have a N&P account, I like the card usage overseas facility, if this continues when it returns to its original Brand Name, then I will continue as now. However if this is no so, I will be looking for a replacement service.
Looking into it just briefly this morning I noticed some new products available, these offer similar overseas use benefits.

OP
OP
iandsm
Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I have a N&P account, I like the card usage overseas facility, if this continues when it returns to its original Brand Name, then I will continue as now. However if this is no so, I will be looking for a replacement service.
Looking into it just briefly this morning I noticed some new products available, these offer similar overseas use benefits.

Perhaps I missed something but as I read things he brand is to be no more , there in no mention of returning to an original brand. The owner of N&P, the Yorkshire BS, don't offer current accounts so it's a case of finding an alternative What new products have you found and from where please

Last edited:

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
There's me thinking the thread was news about the Norwich and Peterborough motorhome shows :doh:

OP
OP
iandsm
Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
As he said:) they also do bank accounts(y)
I am looking at that and will probably go for the Halifax credit card for free transactions and atms but as it's a credit card I imagine any ATM withdrawal will attract interest from the day you draw it out. I will compare the cost of that as opposed to just having to pay the transaction fee from drawing money out via a debit card. I do think the Halifax current accounts look decent though. But I am waiting to hear of the new products mentioned earlier (y)

El-Nido

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
We use a Halifax Clarity Card when abroad and use it for everything (except for cash) and have a direct debit to automatically pay it off in full. It means our current account balance stays high for a long period and we don't need to worry about paying off the credit card when away. For cash we use the CaxtonFX card and just top it up when needed.

Adie & Sophie (of Motorhome Wifi) wrote a good blog comparing the costs of using the Halifax Clarity Card vs CaxtonFX, which includes the cost of withdrawing cash on the Halifax card: http://www.europebycamper.com/2012/06/halifax-clarity-vs-caxton-we-saved-over.html

Paul

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We use a Halifax Clarity Card when abroad and use it for everything (except for cash) and have a direct debit to automatically pay it off in full. It means our current account balance stays high for a long period and we don't need to worry about paying off the credit card when away. For cash we use the CaxtonFX card and just top it up when needed.

Adie & Sophie (of Motorhome Wifi) wrote a good blog comparing the costs of using the Halifax Clarity Card vs CaxtonFX, which includes the cost of withdrawing cash on the Halifax card: http://www.europebycamper.com/2012/06/halifax-clarity-vs-caxton-we-saved-over.html

Paul
Just had a quick read of the article but it includes some assumptions and comments about Caxton that I find skew the final figures, if you take it as if it was all in € they would have been worse off using the Clarity card than the Caxton card IMV!

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Angela has a Nationwide current account. We always use her credit and debit cards when we are in Europe and the USA because they do not charge for transactions and also give a very good exchange rate. Much cheaper than Lloyds or Amex.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You are much better off switching than just opening an account with another bank and closing your N&P one yourself - you should definitely use the 'Switch' service as you'll get paid to do so! Check out which bank is best for you and also what benefit you get for doing so, as well as which perks each account has (interest, cashback etc) there are various ones out there that pay you up to £150, check it out here:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/compare-best-bank-accounts

Some info here about using cards abroad:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/travel-credit-cards#debit

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Angela has a Nationwide current account. We always use her credit and debit cards when we are in Europe and the USA because they do not charge for transactions and also give a very good exchange rate. Much cheaper than Lloyds or Amex.
That's the one where you pay £10 a month and get extra perks too I believe such as travel insurance etc, good if you want those things but if you don't then it would cost £120 a year.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
That's the one where you pay £10 a month and get extra perks too I believe such as travel insurance etc, good if you want those things but if you don't then it would cost £120 a year.
Its called a Flexaccount and she has had it for 15 years at least from memory. It does not cost her anything, but she gets no other goodies. But she doesn't need them because we get them from our shared Lloyds Gold account which also doesn't cost us anything. I have been with them for 50 years and when we first took the Gold account out (about 30 years ago) they promised it would be free for life. It is the only thing that stops me from leaving Lloyds.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Its called a Flexaccount and she has had it for 15 years at least from memory. It does not cost her anything, but she gets no other goodies. But she doesn't need them because we get them from our shared Lloyds Gold account which also doesn't cost us anything. I have been with them for 50 years and when we first took the Gold account out (about 30 years ago) they promised it would be free for life. It is the only thing that stops me from leaving Lloyds.
Ah, that explains it .. its not available to new customers though.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yes it is. It is the tLink Removed.
I think we're talking at cross purposes, I'm talking about the one with no charges for ATM withdrawals as per the OP's comments, the one you're talking about charges 2% plus £1 per withdrawal.

Link Removed

Last edited:

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Bugger, N&P are being closed as a brand by owners Yorkshire Building Society

Yes but not today. Some branches will be closed over the next 6 - 18 months and the name will disappear from your lives.

But don't blame the Tykes - the chain was pulled some years ago when N&P bosses were selling deals under the name Keydata, that firm collapsed leaving N&P with a bill of £57m about 10 years profits.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Still a shame for those losing their jobs & and for the communities who are losing another High St facility.
But don't blame the Tykes - the chain was pulled some years ago when N&P bosses were selling deals under the name Keydata, that firm collapsed leaving N&P with a bill of £57m about 10 years profits.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I think we're talking at cross purposes, I'm talking about the one with no charges for ATM withdrawals as per the OP's comments, the one you're talking about charges 2% plus £1 per withdrawal.

Link Removed
Sorry I was getting confused. We use her nationwide Credit (not debit card) card for spending. We take enough currency (via Post Office on line usually) to last us so don't make cash withdrawals

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
All the calculations re Halifax current account are now wrong as at 1 Feb the reward is cut to £3 not as previously £5 a month

OP
OP
iandsm
Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
You are much better off switching than just opening an account with another bank and closing your N&P one yourself - you should definitely use the 'Switch' service as you'll get paid to do so! Check out which bank is best for you and also what benefit you get for doing so, as well as which perks each account has (interest, cashback etc) there are various ones out there that pay you up to £150, check it out here:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/compare-best-bank-accounts

Some info here about using cards abroad:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/travel-credit-cards#debit

N&P tell me today they are NOT part of the switch service, you have to arrange the direct debits yourself with the payee so they can take the payment from whatever new bank account you set up. You wil NOT get the £100 or whatever the switch servicecwould have paid. So as far as N&P/Yorkshire BS are concerned, to all their previously loyal customers its F you.

OP
OP
iandsm
Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Now a little further forward, the plan is its going to be the Halifax Clarity card for everyday spending repaid by direct debit when the statement comes in so no interest or charges to pay. Also going to use it for ATM withdrawals but then use a telephone banking app to immediately repay whatever amount the withdraw was from our normal current account, thus we will pay no interest on the ATM withdrawal either.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Now a little further forward, the plan is its going to be the Halifax Clarity card for everyday spending repaid by direct debit when the statement comes in so no interest or charges to pay. Also going to use it for ATM withdrawals but then use a telephone banking app to immediately repay whatever amount the withdraw was from our normal current account, thus we will pay no interest on the ATM withdrawal either.
I would check that works first . I took cash out with my credit card once by mistake but did as you suggested and repayed said amount by internet but all it did was reduce my balance on the card and charges were still applied .

OP
OP
iandsm
Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I would check that works first . I took cash out with my credit card once by mistake but did as you suggested and repayed said amount by internet but all it did was reduce my balance on the card and charges were still applied .

Thank you, absolutely right I will need to repay the whole outstanding balance whenever I take an ATM.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back