Free Member
Jul 5, 2014
North Norway
Funster No
MH
Kabe Travel Master i910 Q
Exp
Since 1990
Talking Tirpitz, I remember watching a documentary on the sinking with a follow up telling the ship was broken up eventually by a German/Norwegian team and bits are still apparently being sold off. So I assume there's nothing to see apart from in the museum?

Edit: Note to self: read the Museum link.

Correct,nothing there except the museum,there are some fantastic pics in the museum and off course loads of bits and pieces from the tirpitz time

Kris

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
"Fjære fisk" = Fish caught close to the shore line,

It was 'Ufda', Kris my Norwegian friends always said this when they were amazed at our 'British' stupidity when dealing with (or rather failing to deal with) extreme weather and so on!

ArcticKris

Free Member
Jul 5, 2014
North Norway
Funster No
MH
Kabe Travel Master i910 Q
Exp
Since 1990
It was 'Ufda', Kris my Norwegian friends always said this when they were amazed at our 'British' stupidity when dealing with (or rather failing to deal with) extreme weather and so on!

Hahahaa ok i see,ufda (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
All these direct links from the UK falling by the wayside are a real disappointment. We were there for 5 weeks in 1978 with a Cortina Estate and a trailer tent and crossed to Goteborg with DFDS before touring up the coast to Oslo and across to the coast at Andalsnes and back south via Bergen. The Flam railway was awesome as was the climb over a mountain in a snowstorm where a driverless car passed us in the gloom and we heard a shout of "Kaput" from somewhere as it disappeared.

Back in '95 with a caravan and friends with a trailer tent via Esbjerg and we did a similar route apart from getting hopelessly lost round Oslo where we went through the same toll three times, wonderful country.

Twenty years on it seems time to go again before it's too late.

I had a contract to run airbags to Vargarda in Sweden and used to take the DFDS boat from Harwich to Gothenburg. It was mainly unaccompanied freight but they were allowed 6 passengers, but you had to eat with the crew. I used to then catch the boat from Gothenburg back to Fredrikshaven and reload out of Hamburg back to the UK. I spent more time on the North sea in those days than I did on tarmac. It did give me a feel for Scandinavia which I have never lost though. How anyone can not love Scandinavia is beyond my thinking. Even above the circle in summer its hot. Have been up on the Lofoten when its been almost 30 deg in July. Just watch out for the flying teeth.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I seem to remember there was a choice of Esbjerg or Gothenburg in those days, I don't remember the ship on our 78 trip to Gothenburg being any different from the Esbjerg route but then it was awhile ago.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Its a few year but been up to Lapland a few times. twice Harwich - Esbjerg (DFDS now gone - new service starting up). Once tunnel via Hamburg (to visit niece) then Puttgarden ferry to Denmark (no need to book) The Swedish bridge expensive, ferry from Hellsinger "used" to be a cheaper alternative (no need to book) but best check prices.

saying that used swedish bridge when it first opened..it is some bridge!

Sydvesten

Free Member
Oct 2, 2014
Norway
Funster No
MH
Alcove
Exp
Since 2014
Nice that people want to travel to Norway. Ferry from Denmark Hirtshals is recommended, Color line or Fjordline. Fjordline is less expensive than Color line. Fjordline travel to Langesund, Kristiansand, Stavanger or Bergen. One sailing per day. Colorline goes to Larvik and Kristiansand (several crossing per day). Crossing time is between 2,5 to 4,5 hour, depend on route and vessel.

The challenges in Norway are the toll road, and our politicians have been so kind that they even have introduced more toll road for us this autumn. All toll stations are unmanned and fully electronic. with camera and from time. I’m not sure how they handle UK vehicle, but I expect they have an agreement with UK authorities regarding invoicing.

So to drive from Larvik/Langesund to Oslo cost 10-15 £ only in toll. But if you have time, use smaller road without toll. More to see, but it take slightly longer time. Most og the toll roads are located around the main cities, and on highways between and on some bridges on the west coast. In mid and to northern part of Norway, there’s is hardly no toll roads, but the quality on the roads reflect that.

In Sweden there is no toll road at all, same in Denmark. Except form a bridge or two.

It is possible to use DFDS freight cargo vessel from Immingham to Brevik(10km from Langesund and 50km from Larvik). But this only has accommodation for 12 passengers, I will use this for my trip to UK/Scotland in Easter 2015, but we will travel by plane our self)

If you want to see something in Norway, I will recommend the west coast, take Fjordline to Bergen (leave at 8pm from Hirtshals and arrive Bergen around noon the day after), then drive the west coast, north. Some of the small cities close to the coast line in the southern part are also worth visiting during summer time (if the weather is fine). But don’t plan a summer holiday in Norway, if the intention is sun bathing on a beach.

Wild camping is allowed more or less all over the country, max 2-3 nights at the same location (theoretical by the law) I don’t think any bother if you stay longer.

Fresh water for motorhome you get all over the country, free of charge. “All” petrol station have a hose you can use, and all water are drinking water. Emptying waste water and the black stuff can be done on a lot of petrol stations (you will see a sign), and all camping sites.

Be aware of the beer price. And other alcoholic drinks, and bottled water at shops and petrol station, it cost a fortune and even more

Links:
https://www.fjordline.com/
http://www.colorline.com/

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
What did you do about emptying loo and filling you water?

Further N there are earth closets in lots of places where you can empty provided, of course you have no chemicals or just green chemicals. There are lots of more conventional emptying points further S. There are also lots of taps in garages and rest areas.

We went to Nordkapp 2 years ago, it was a wonderful trip, lots of wildcamping (no choice as when we went there were few sites!

In answer to original question Colorline were excellent, super modern and quick boat.
But make sure you stick to the rules about imported goods. We were pulled aside in Larvik and searched very thoroughly - they were looking for alcohol and tobacco.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Nice that people want to travel to Norway. Ferry from Denmark Hirtshals is recommended, Color line or Fjordline. Fjordline is less expensive than Color line. Fjordline travel to Langesund, Kristiansand, Stavanger or Bergen. One sailing per day. Colorline goes to Larvik and Kristiansand (several crossing per day). Crossing time is between 2,5 to 4,5 hour, depend on route and vessel.

The challenges in Norway are the toll road, and our politicians have been so kind that they even have introduced more toll road for us this autumn. All toll stations are unmanned and fully electronic. with camera and from time. I’m not sure how they handle UK vehicle, but I expect they have an agreement with UK authorities regarding invoicing.

So to drive from Larvik/Langesund to Oslo cost 10-15 £ only in toll. But if you have time, use smaller road without toll. More to see, but it take slightly longer time. Most og the toll roads are located around the main cities, and on highways between and on some bridges on the west coast. In mid and to northern part of Norway, there’s is hardly no toll roads, but the quality on the roads reflect that.

In Sweden there is no toll road at all, same in Denmark. Except form a bridge or two.

It is possible to use DFDS freight cargo vessel from Immingham to Brevik(10km from Langesund and 50km from Larvik). But this only has accommodation for 12 passengers, I will use this for my trip to UK/Scotland in Easter 2015, but we will travel by plane our self)

If you want to see something in Norway, I will recommend the west coast, take Fjordline to Bergen (leave at 8pm from Hirtshals and arrive Bergen around noon the day after), then drive the west coast, north. Some of the small cities close to the coast line in the southern part are also worth visiting during summer time (if the weather is fine). But don’t plan a summer holiday in Norway, if the intention is sun bathing on a beach.

Wild camping is allowed more or less all over the country, max 2-3 nights at the same location (theoretical by the law) I don’t think any bother if you stay longer.

Fresh water for motorhome you get all over the country, free of charge. “All” petrol station have a hose you can use, and all water are drinking water. Emptying waste water and the black stuff can be done on a lot of petrol stations (you will see a sign), and all camping sites.

Be aware of the beer price. And other alcoholic drinks, and bottled water at shops and petrol station, it cost a fortune and even more

Links:
https://www.fjordline.com/
Broken Link Removed

Many thanks for that information. I understand 6.00m is the critical length of a vehicle for the bridge and ferry tolls but ours is 6.05m! How accurately do they measure length? Is it done with a laser or machine?

Sydvesten

Free Member
Oct 2, 2014
Norway
Funster No
MH
Alcove
Exp
Since 2014
Length is only a question on ferries, and they don't measure at all. They trust you when you tell them your length. Height may also be an issue on ferries. But normally below 6 meter is standard length for a normal car. Some places you pay additional fee per meter o per second meter.. it vary from company to company. 6.05, wil be below 6 meter. Tell that the vehiclhe is 5,99meter.. A lot of vehicle in Norway is “having” this length on ferries so they are used to it. I'm 8.55 and I'm not sure they will accept 5,99 on my car.. But i will try, if it's a young student working for the summer holiday. They may not know how much 6 meter is.

In general try to avoid ferries and toll road. If you have a GPS, they can navigate on toll free roads and ferry free roads. It’s recommend if you not intend to drive from A to B on shortest time.

When you arrive at a Norwegian port, the customs like to ask question as stated by motorhomer, and they also like to search your car for alcohol and tobacco. This is extremely costly in Norway, a can of Guinness cost around 3,5£ in the shop, 20 cigarettes’ 10£

Regarding the earth toilet mentioned, yes you can use them., but bed carefull don’t drop anything you don’t want to lose in this toilet.. It can be an interesting exercise to search after it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back