Norton renewal too pricey (1 Viewer)

cookingfat

Free Member
Apr 25, 2010
British West Hartlepool
Funster No
Exp
brand new
My norton anti virus is up for renewal, they want £60 odd for that (robbing bounders).

Being a tight wad, I don't want to give norton more money. Any suggestions for an alternative effective anti virus package.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Microsoft Security Essentials ..
http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
all you need.. :thumb:

Microsoft Security Essentials provides real-time protection for your home PC that guards against viruses, spyware, and other malicious software.

Microsoft Security Essentials is a free* download from Microsoft that is simple to install, easy to use, and always kept up to date so you can be assured your PC is protected by the latest technology. It’s easy to tell if your PC is secure — when you’re green, you’re good. It’s that simple.

Microsoft Security Essentials runs quietly and efficiently in the background so that you are free to use your Windows-based PC the way you want—without interruptions or long computer wait times.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
My norton anti virus is up for renewal, they want £60 odd for that (robbing bounders).
Being a tight wad, I don't want to give norton more money. Any suggestions for an alternative effective anti virus package.
That will be for three applications so you can share it with the family, you should also be able to get it for less than £60 I still like Norton.:thumb:
Virgin cable also do a free package if you are with them.

TandH

Free Member
Jan 7, 2009
Banffshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
2 year

Currys/PC world and others are selling it on CD for £28 for single user/3 machine use. I never renew, always buy the CD when mine expires.
Cheers, Tom

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Didn't realise my Norton renewed automatically in the summer and I was away so couldn't do too much about it, £60 ouch! :Sad:

I've since had problems with Windows updates and the solution pointed to my security systems so I uninstalled everything it could have been on the laptop which I use most, Malware Bytes, Zone Alarm, Norton and downloaded MS Security Essentials which appears to be working unobtrusively BUT ... I still can't get Windows to update. No problems with the desktop but I will certainly look at alternatives to Norton next year.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp

Tescos' £30 - I always wait until someone has an offer on. Just updated the main computer with the laptops' one (3 licence) - so now they will all run out at the same time!

Have a look at staples etc - if n ot, ebay have them for £25. No need to download again, just just take the product code from the box and type in.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
It makes sense to me to go with Security Essentials. It is made by microsoft who are the people that have designed the os.

MS must have the best tech's around and if they cant design an AV/Malware deterent for their own systems then I dont see how anybody else can.
Jim
:Smile:

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
If you use online banking there is a good chance your bank will provide a premium AV product for free. Barclays supply Kaspersky.

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Understand that, its cheaper for me to go to PC World and buy new Kaspersky than to renew online. Bit cheeky I thought !

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
Microsoft Security Essentials is all you need these days. Its getting better results than the other free options out there.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
If you use online banking there is a good chance your bank will provide a premium AV product for free. Barclays supply Kaspersky.

Just what I was going to say. I have it from Barclays (up to 3 computers) and I like it. Jane :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back