Northumberland coast? (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Having recently spoken to a couple about taking 2 to 3 weeks in west Scotland at end July and beginning of August, we have changed our minds. Apparently there are swarms of midges at that time of year and both of us prime candidates for being bitten. He suggested that the Northumberland coast is beautiful but we have never ventured over that way. Can anyone tell us what it's like please? Are there places we can just park up or is it all campsites? Any information will be gratefully received. Many thanks.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Good choice, though the midges are not that bad on the West coast.

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
Alnwick Castle is worth a visit and the poison garden. As for midges, Avon so soft and simple works for us. The SAS use it. You can tell an SAS man because he smells nice.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
We wer thare last year and the east cost of Scotland found lots of places to park up with verry little problems
Bill

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Northumberland is lovely - as it the south of Scotland. There are places you can park overnight if you are discrete and don't leave a mess - but not on Lindisfarne, check the tides so you don't get stranded. I am not sure what they could do if you were stranded and had to sleep in the MH though - maybe a fine????

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Northumberland is beautiful. We go at least once every year. The west of Scotland does have a lot of midges. As above Avon skin so soft, works well to keep them away. You could continue up the East coast from Northumberland. Scotlands East coast whilst less dramatic than the West is still beautiful. There are some great beaches and small harbours to visit. Have a great trip.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
The area is beautifull ,we stayed at a cl site with EHU ,cant remember the name of it ,but we travelled around the area looking at the sites, there are lots of castles and lovelly sea side towns suc as seahouses ,the best part of our trip was when we went to Dunsanburgh castle ,it was about 4 oclock and the castle shut at 5 ,i was not going to pay the entrance fee for an hour so we walked along the castle wall and down to the sea ,i then spotted a fin and upon closer inspection it turned out to be a pod of pilot whales and it looked like the adults were teaching their young ,there was about 16 in the pod,adults and juveniles ,it was a magical moment

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
The area is beautifull ,we stayed at a cl site with EHU ,cant remember the name of it ,but we travelled around the area looking at the sites, there are lots of castles and lovelly sea side towns suc as seahouses ,the best part of our trip was when we went to Dunsanburgh castle ,it was about 4 oclock and the castle shut at 5 ,i was not going to pay the entrance fee for an hour so we walked along the castle wall and down to the sea ,i then spotted a fin and upon closer inspection it turned out to be a pod of pilot whales and it looked like the adults were teaching their young ,there was about 16 in the pod,adults and juveniles ,it was a magical moment
Agreed, Dunsanburgh castle is a must see.....:)

Dunstanburgh_castle_2_Northumberland_Coast_Path1.jpg

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Northumberland is lovely - as it the south of Scotland. There are places you can park overnight if you are discrete and don't leave a mess - but not on Lindisfarne, check the tides so you don't get stranded. I am not sure what they could do if you were stranded and had to sleep in the MH though - maybe a fine????
I nearly was.....the tide was starting to lap up to the causeway, it's really fast sometimes, many an unfortunate driver has been caught :(
lindisfarne-causeway-hero.jpg

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
"Fantastic" part of the county.... (y)

And will be more so when we move up that way..... :giggler:
Didn't know you loved the north east so much to move here. I live near Durham City and really love Northumberland. I'll give you a reference when you apply for your passport! !! Where are you fancying?

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Lovely area.
Try to fit in a boat trip to the Farne Islands.
Maybe a day or two around Kielder Water/ Forest.
You'll be spoilt for choice with castles, market towns, gardens, wildlife, excellent walks of all levels...

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now 😢
Exp
Coast or countryside Northumberland is fantastic, as are the Scottish Borders and coast, we spend lots of time there and really love it, castle after castle, beach after beach, not mentioned before are Warkworth and Alnmouth, Berwick on Tweed where you should walk the ramparts, St Abb's for its quaint harbour and Coldingham Bay, inland wonderful border towns, Kelso is a favourite with Floors Castle, and the stunning Cheviots. If you want a laugh go to Chillingham Castle. Try The Ship Inn at Newton By The Sea for real ale and The Joiners Arms nearby for the biggest fish (and chips) the boat could safely land. Can't really advise you about wild camping except we do see people parked up out of season. Lots of sites all up the coast, if you like sea food park up near Berwick Shellfish at the side of the tweed and treat yourself to some crab and lobster. The weather there is pretty good lots of grain grown up there, often a few degrees cooler but usually bright, just occasionally you can see the sea fret roll in from the coast though!

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
You are right this thread needs removing!
No no, keep it going. It might make a few go there instead of Yorkshire. That way we get to enjoy a more peaceful trip round our own county.:D2

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Lovely area.
You'll be spoilt for choice with castles, market towns, gardens, wildlife, excellent walks of all levels...
I went SCUBA diving in the seas around the Farnes years ago, the local seals were playfully nibbling at our fins, and swimming around us, those teeth looked very big close up underwater, great experience(y)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If you are in the National trust Cragside near Rothbury is well worth a visit,there is a very basic CL a few miles away at as otter and you can cycle to Cragside over the moor tops and Lord Armstrong's carriage drives if you have off road bikes or carefully on hybrid bikes.

Martin

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Didn't know you loved the north east so much to move here. I live near Durham City and really love Northumberland. I'll give you a reference when you apply for your passport! !! Where are you fancying?

Don`t really know much about the North East.... visited a few times..

The wife comes from Durham area.... so thought change of scenery and luck and all that...

Not actually looking at Northumberland...

More North Yorkshire.... Northallerton and the Leeming Bar area..

Near enough for the misses to pop up and see her relatives..

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Don`t really know much about the North East.... visited a few times..

The wife comes from Durham area.... so thought change of scenery and luck and all that...

Not actually looking at Northumberland...

More North Yorkshire.... Northallerton and the Leeming Bar area..

Near enough for the misses to pop up and see her relatives..
North Yorkshire is also very nice. Durham and the surrounding area is a wow for us as we've experienced many part of the UK but up here there's so much to see from seaside to remote countryside within a very short drive. Very good luck with your search and decision. If I can help in anyway please let me know.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Lovely area.

A little word of caution here, Kielder's midges rival the west of Scotland & them some, I guess no-one told the Kielder midges that their area is not in Scotland tis bloody close. :whistle:
Northumbria is stunning though, I've never tried wild camping there but I presume it'd be easy enough to find nice spots to camp. So go for it, you won't regret it.

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Check these out on Google Earth.

BEADNELL - Clifftop car park 55.55222 -1.62916
RADCLIFFE - Beachside spot 55.30666 -1.55889
SEAHOUSES 55.59253 -1.6742
WOOLER 55.53895 -2.0383

I've used a couple for overnighting in the past but not sure what rules are in force now.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Having recently spoken to a couple about taking 2 to 3 weeks in west Scotland at end July and beginning of August, we have changed our minds. Apparently there are swarms of midges at that time of year and both of us prime candidates for being bitten. He suggested that the Northumberland coast is beautiful but we have never ventured over that way. Can anyone tell us what it's like please? Are there places we can just park up or is it all campsites? Any information will be gratefully received. Many thanks.
It's awful, don't go there. The food's rubbish, the scenery's pathetic, and it's not surprising there's no one on those miserable cold windy beaches. Several castles are ruined - just look at Dunstanburgh, derelict or what? Stay in Sussex, it's much more civilised and it's not really overcrowded. Leave Northumberland and North Yorkshire to those who can't think of anywhere else to go...
(And as for you lot giving recommended places, stop it!)

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
I AM doing the West Coast of Scotland, the NC 500, immediately after the rally at the bus museum. If the midges are too bad then I shall reconsider and drive further inland. Northumberland, my home county is stunning with more castles than any other county.
I always wildcamp respectfully, the beaches are stunning but you just need to get the weather right, however that applies to most of the UK.
Have a great trip.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
I wrote this in "Scotland the long way up" last year:-

It depends what floats your boat: N Yorks moors has excellent steam railway, lovely seaside resorts (inc Scarboro, with marine parade, peasholm park; Whitby; Sandsend; Staithes; (try Skinningrove for "off beaten track?) Saltburn; Redcar (vertical pier?)

Hartlepool marina and historic docks are worth investigating; Crimdon Dene; Blackhall; Seaham are all much improved Durham seasides with easy, free parking.

And why would you not visit Durham City?

We exited Tyne Tunnel and soon turned eastwards to visit Newbiggin by the Sea (free parking by museum) then little coast road from Lynemouth to Cresswell, Amble (lovely Britstop - no 766; park on quayside for good views at 50p per hour), Warkworth castle. Free parking by coast at Beadnell, cheap parking in Seahouses (1st hour free), free parking at Bamburgh (THE best castle in the world?), excellent Britstop (no 768) only a few miles away.

IF you prefer inland activities, don't miss Wallington (Nat Trust), Cragside (Nat Trust), Alnwick Garden (take out fresh mortgage/bank loan?). Or why not experience Kielder Forest (£4.50 for all day parking transferable amongst all carparks)?

Don't forget that Hawick has a free camperstop.

Enjoy - Gordon"

Coming from "Down South", you might consider turning right near Doncaster to visit Hull (City of Culture) either along the motorway or across the Humber Bridge. From there you could go to Spurn Head and along the coast to Bridlington/Filey/Scarboro'.
Alternatively, you could get to Scarboro via York or Thirsk, or if on the A170 take a main road to Stokesley (from Helmsley) or Whitby (from Pickering). Or cross some of the wilder parts of the Moors through Rosedale or Goathland.

Why not cross the Tees in Middlesbrough using the transporter bridge, one of only 4 in UK?

The 2017 Britstop numbers are 785 & 787.

Gordon

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Try 'Eat & Sleep Lindisfarne' for a stopover near the Holy Island
Can you stay overnight on their car park?
Looks like a very handy stop-over if you can.
Just had a look on their website and there is no mention of motorhomes.

Richard.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back