Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
Bonjour funsters,

Just returned from our trip to The Dordogne and although the weather wasn't great, when the sun came out we realised why everyone loves the area. So thanks to all the advice supplied from you guys for places to visit - spot on.
OK, on to the next trip - we are off to northern Spain in July, taking the ferry to Gijon, we have limited time (2 weeks - bloody work!), so want your must do's, must see's, best wine, best food, architecture, vista's, camp sites, aire's etc., etc.

Come on, lets see what you've got for me.

Keith :Cool:

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Bilbao definitely worth a visit especially the Guggenheim Museum.
We had details of an aire just outside the city but they wanted 16 euros a night. It was next to a big free public car park so we decided to wild it for a couple of days in the car park along with a few other vans (mostly German).
The day we left it looked like they were closing the aire - office boarded up, gates padlocked. I'm not surprised at the price they were charging.
The Police came by a couple of times but didn't seem bothered.
There are no facilities so make sure you arrive with a full water tank and empty toilet cassette!
The car park is actually in a great place on top of a hill overlooking the city (see photos). A No58 bus passes by which will take you into the city - you want the bus stop on the opposite side of the road to the car park ie travelling to right to left as you look at the city. It's about 30 minutes to the nearest point to the Guggenheim. Basically you get off the bus when you cross the river and walk about a mile along the river bank to the museum. It's a pleasant walk.
Coordinates:
N 43º 15' 34"
E 2º 57' 49"

Attachments

• 28 Bilbao small.jpg
    28 Bilbao small.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 28 Bilbao (98) small.jpg
    28 Bilbao (98) small.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 28 Bilbao (97) small.jpg
    28 Bilbao (97) small.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 25

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i would just say follow the coast stop where you find nice . stay off the bigger roads use the n632or the n634. buy a cepsa mapa max map .have a look on amazon . best map i have seen of spain . far better than michelin .
.going towards santander take the ca131 . i love it there .
beautiful scenery specially around san vicente de barquara . lovely views over the estuary from the 634 just before you turn off on theca131 .
also lovely beaches on the east side of river .
.look out for the granite mushrooms . tell us what they are for . ha ha .really big ones along that coast.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
two winters ago we came back from the south . we drove through and along the poicos .in trucks . so dont be put off . its a great drive if you like heights . but i love the coast.
but the n625 ,and n621 the ca185 (one way in come back out )is fantastic .we had faily good snow at the time it was a real adventure . that was end march beginning april . but would do it again .

so did you see granite mush rooms . ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pikeman
Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
Thanks to all, but im leaning further west on this trip - Galicia, anyone got stuff for me?

K :Cool:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes .follow the coast .but becareful at luarco can get narrow. on the way cabopenas .parking by lighthouse . after that its park where you feel good . so many places . go onhave an adventure . stay off main roads . get that map . even the whitye roads on it we use.
shouls you get to arou nw galecia . there is a road to it through a forest . very interesting village by the sea . lovely we stop on a car park right by the sea . go on you will love it.

Deleted User
We have stayed at Luarca a few times, a Dutch owned site on the Eastern side of town and one on the Western side, both clifftop sites and walkable into the town. Sorry can't remember names but will probably come up in a google search.

We followed the coast round stopping at Viveiro and Sanjenjo/Sanxenxo the latter surprised us, we were expecting fairly quiet and remote but is very popular with the Spanish in the Summer to get away from the interior heat.

We didn't explore the more remote coastline of the Ria's but would think it well worth exploring.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Try to get up into the Picos de Europa. We stayed just outside Potes, but there were some vans parked in the municipal car park in town.

La Viorna Campsite

We would recommend this site also - try the meal of the day in the site restaurant - fantastic value.

Also if you like sunsets - stop off at Zarautz. Not sure of site name but its on the hill on the east side of town off Talaimendi auz.

The site restaurant is ok but much better is the one in the car park as you enter the site.
Lovely helpful people and great food.

Mike and Sandra:thumb::thumb::thumb:

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Bonjour funsters,

Just returned from our trip to The Dordogne and although the weather wasn't great, when the sun came out we realised why everyone loves the area. So thanks to all the advice supplied from you guys for places to visit - spot on.
OK, on to the next trip - we are off to northern Spain in July, taking the ferry to Gijon, we have limited time (2 weeks - bloody work!), so want your must do's, must see's, best wine, best food, architecture, vista's, camp sites, aire's etc., etc.

Come on, lets see what you've got for me.

Keith :Cool:

Gijon itself is very elegant and interesting, we stayed 2 nights at the eastern end of its enormous bay on a site which had great views. There is a fantastic wide esplanade to walk or cycle round the bay, and old WWII fortifications at the western end, from where first pic was taken looking straight towards campsite. Also an open air free 'gym' near fortifications, with several oldies using the equipment, including my oldie in second pic! Excellent cider and Galician bagpipe players, some interesting urban architecture and large marina.

Catherine

Attachments

• DSCF6142a.jpg
    DSCF6142a.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCF6148a.jpg
    DSCF6148a.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 12

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!