Free Member
Jan 22, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On & off since 1974
We are planning to do this starting mid February , we don't have anytime restriction , I've found www.northcaost500.com which is very helpfull .From what I have read there seems to be a differing of opinion as to which is the best way, clockwise or anti-clockwise .I would like your views on this and any other relevant tips, as I always value personal views as much as published info.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Always plan your journey to head off in a westerly direction, when you can, to avoid driving into the sun every morning (y) :)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
end on the west coast every time, save the best till last, or even miss of the north east bit completely, it was one of my few disappointments with Scottish scenery, the last bit up to John o Groats and the north coast back to Dounray, I would now spend more time on the west coast :)(y)

but some bits of the east are equally surprising in their beauty, far more sand than I ever expected :)(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
which is the best way, clockwise or anti-clockwise.

Well it'd only 500 miles, nothing to a FUNster. Do it one way, turn round and do it the other way. I've noticed over the years how different a route can be from each direction.

Mid Feb. That is winter up there. At least the midges can't fly in their raincoats.

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
Mid Feb? Stunning scenery but maybe a few roads closed i.e. Pass of the cattle, a road not to be missed ! As mentioned west coast , once seen never forgotten , and the urge to return year after year . I plan a quick 4 weeks to Scotland from Southampton then back for a week then off to Scandinavia for 6 weeks .

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Melvin

We did part of the NC500 last September. There does seem to be a consensus that the Eastern part of the route is nowhere near as attractive as the Western part which is the part we had a look at.

We did not start at Inverness but starting from Killin went West towards Oban. Then worked our way North towards Fort William. We continued further North to Invergarry where we turned West again towards Skye. Travelling vIa Stromferry we turned right at the T junction with the A896 onto the NC500 and missed out the Applecross section. Travelling via Kinglochewe and Gairloch we worked our way to Ullapool staying at Ardmair. From there we worked outr way North stopping at the new Aire on the old harbour at Kinlochbervie which we really lked. Then Via Durness and Tongue where we turned South and stopped at Altnaharra campsite which may not be open early enough for you. From there we returned South missing a lot of the Eastern Section. The scenery is marvellous and involves many miles of A class single track roads which we had no problem with. One thing to note is that when we passed through Durness and Tongue both fuels stations were out of fuel so always keep yourself topped up in anticipation of possible problems.

If you have TV catchup I would suggest you download last Thursdays addition of Landward broadcast on BBC2 at 1.55pm 2/2 as you see some of the NC500 in particular the bit including Applecross. Gives you a taste but let me assure you the route we took did not have the hairpin bends of the Applecross section which some on here have travelled.

If you would like details of the places we stopped at then PM me.

Doug

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
Melvin wrote,We are planning to do this starting mid February !!

Watch the weather forecast as they often get it very badly wrong !! it can change very very quickly.
That been said the forecast for the coming three weeks is supposed to be -15c and snow !! if possible do no drive in the dark as black ice forms very quickly when the suns goes down.
Take the right precautions , have Propane gas and you will be fine.
Come and enjoy

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
Ref Durness, pop into the John Lennon memorial garden , bizarre to think John Lennon as a youngster went up there to visit family , I mean back in those days it must have seamed like the end of universe ?? And yes I can remember visiting Durness many years ago arriving around 2pm sat afternoon and seeing two German motorbikes by the fuel pumps looking confused then asking me are they closed ??? 'Yes till Monday morning '!!!! I told them . But now I was there last year pumps are open for credit cards 24/7 AND there is a power point for electric cars !!!! How times have changed !

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Your trip will be very much weather dependent, the North West is about to get hammered as I type this.

OP
OP
Melvin

Melvin

Free Member
Jan 22, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On & off since 1974
First of all, thanks for the replies ,I must admit to having a craft moment in my original post ,I said February but I should have said mid March:whistle:
C R A F T. Can't remember a fxxxing thing.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Always plan your journey to head off in a westerly direction, when you can, to avoid driving into the sun every morning (y) :)
Lol...... sun, in northern Scotland, in march:Eeek: bloody southerners.:moon2:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We did the NC500 last September here's a link to our trip , we posted on Fun.
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/north-coast-500-with-whisky-detour.138281/
We saw lots , ate lots and drank lots !!
Stopping somewhere new every night. But we will need to do it again to see all the bits we had to miss , due to only having 3 weeks to do it in.
What ever you do don't just drive it.
Many do.
We spoke to landlords and restauranteurs who said they'd had some guests that have did the official NC500 route in well under a week. Just to say they've done it.

Take time and do a bit of research on the route.
There's so much to see , that you don't , when whizzing by . The East coast has a lot on offer too , even if it doesn't have as much spectacular scenery etc.
Most of all enjoy it.
We did , and can't wait to go back up to do the bits we didn't have time to enjoy .

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
I can't imagine why you would want to go to the North of Scotland!!!

The first is the view from the van whilst at Mellon Udrigle, Apparently we missed a better view the night before.
The other photo's were taken within 10yrds of the van at the Altnaharra campsite.

DSC02341small.jpg
DSC02421asmall.jpg
DSC02430asmall.jpg

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
I can't imagine why you would want to go to the North of Scotland!!!

The first is the view from the van whilst at Mellon Udrigle, Apparently we missed a better view the night before.
The other photo's were taken within 10yrds of the van at the Altnaharra campsite.

View attachment 147132 View attachment 147131 View attachment 147130
Lovely Campsites indeed. Been to both of those.๐Ÿ‘ Used to go to Altnaharra every year and have paddled up and down that Loch a few times.๐Ÿ˜Ž Wonโ€™t let us on there now as over 8.5m๐Ÿ˜ฉ Well, our last van was too but told a little porkie๐Ÿ˜Š Only club site we have ever stayed at, and in a beautiful area of North Scotland.๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ‘

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Lovely Campsites indeed. Been to both of those.๐Ÿ‘ Used to go to Altnaharra every year and have paddled up and down that Loch a few times.๐Ÿ˜Ž Wonโ€™t let us on there now as over 8.5m๐Ÿ˜ฉ Well, our last van was too but told a little porkie๐Ÿ˜Š Only club site we have ever stayed at, and in a beautiful area of North Scotland.๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ‘
Wow, congratulations, youโ€™ve resurrected a 5 year old thread , agreed sites brilliant ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back