North Coast 500 (with whisky detour!) (1 Viewer)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Well we're off!!
Our 21 day trip up Norther North , than Yorkshire. Ralph will be 50 on the 23rd of September and we wanted to do something together that we'd remember .
We went to the Maldives 3 years ago for mine , which was amazing , truly out of this world .
But having been to the Outer Hebrides the last couple of years , we've enjoyed it ( differently but ) just as much.
So, Ralph managed to get a job finished earlier than planned and we set off today , instead of Friday . Because of that we thought we'd stop off at Hawes , Moffat then Aviemore on the way up to our starting point on the NC500 which is Inverness Castle .
Here's a few pictures of today at Hawes , in the centre of the beautiful Yorkshire Dales .

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
Lovely spot is Hawes. Got a fancy lead there for the hound from the ropeworks.
Great photos too. Don't know if it helps but I've just posted about a new site just outside Inverness ....... might help for your trip up. Would cross post the link to my post if I can figure out how it's done.
Have a great trip.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Blooming Internet. I forgot we were in the middle of nowhere . Took an age to upload haha.
We even got a bit of haggis from the chippy, just to whet out appetite , for the real deal in Scotland . We stopped for a couple of pints each , which went straight to our heads . We was only going to have one , but the chippy wasn't open......
Im not doing guess the price , with being in Britain , but a pint of Theakstons old perculier was £4 a pint !
Ow much .......:Eeek:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
so the long term forecast must be wrong then :). hope the sun shines on you both, with just enough breeze to keep them midges on the ground (y)

unless you are determined to do the NC500 I would miss the north east corner , go up through Lairg (stop at falls of shin for salmon sighting) then come back out at Tongue, miss out the boring bit (my view only)

looking forward to your travels (with photos :LOL:)

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
so the long term forecast must be wrong then :). hope the sun shines on you both, with just enough breeze to keep them midges on the ground (y)

unless you are determined to do the NC500 I would miss the north east corner , go up through Lairg (stop at falls of shin for salmon sighting) then come back out at Tongue, miss out the boring bit (my view only)

looking forward to your travels (with photos :LOL:)
Hiya David
We're doing it anti clockwise east coast first. We've got to go to Jon-o-groats , it would be rude not to !
It's been red hot today , up to 29 at one point , though the weather for sat said heavy rain at 5 pm it didn't happen.
The chippy didn't open till 5pm.
We're back in pug now it's very dark at 8pm. We can hear thunder and see sheet lightening over the hills , yet it's not raining here as yet.
We've all the windows open and the fly screens up as it's muggy.
Tomorrow we are heading up to Moffat. Stopping at the ccc for the night . Pics to follow .

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Just started raining here too. Ours has to has just gone off too Andy ! The lightening is very bright due to no light pollution and thunder very loud and rumbling .
Ralph's trying to remember which way we had the avtex digital TVs ariel last time we came. Wouldn't mind, we were just saying how easy it was to set up the new oyster cytrac satellite . Spoke too soon........

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Believe me the lightening is VERY bright here too, not like I've seen before

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Have a great trip - hope you have plenty of sunshine and no midges

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
enjoy your trip and if the first stop is anything to go by i hope youv'e packed some loose fitting clothes as you'll need them after all that food :).
Tomorrow in Dumfries its forecast to be in the 20's and sunny so I would assume Moffat will be the same if your stopping there tomorrow.

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
The whole sky is lighting up. @Techno .
Not spears/daggers of lightening like normal .
I've tried to photograph it with he ipad.
It's pitch black here in Hawes now. Thing is it's not even raining much. But it looks and sounds like the end of the world !
From pugs window.
image.jpeg

Between flashes!
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I can't get a really bright one!

Well we've packed clothes for all weathers/occasions .........as you do when you've got the space and your own house on wheels.
It would be nice if it didn't rain the whole 3 weeks though :Eeek: fingers crossed.
We're normally lucky.:pray:
We're watching slide shows of our older trips ( Whitby goth atm !) whist the electric storm passes over. I can't believe a bit of rain can spoil a satellite new all singing dancing satellite system .

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I hope you both enjoy your trip. Nice photos and great to see what you both look like. Its always nice to put a face to a name.
I hope you bring the sunshine with you. Its been wet here for days.

@Techno I'm happy to read your post about the storm as Alan is still up here and all I keep hearing is how Leeds is usually wonderfully dry compared to Glasgow...You have given me ammo to fire back :D:D

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
enjoy your trip and if the first stop is anything to go by i hope youv'e packed some loose fitting clothes as you'll need them after all that food :).
Tomorrow in Dumfries its forecast to be in the 20's and sunny so I would assume Moffat will be the same if your stopping there tomorrow.
Haha.
We are both a stone heavier than we like to be , before we've even got out of Wakefield.:Eeek:
But sod it! We can lose it once we're back. Back on the 5/2! With vengeance .
Too many nice places to eat are planned .
We've even booked a couple of places in advance, like the The Kylesku Hotel for some lovely sea food.
Then the Fat Whippet ( Aultbea Hotel ) at Wester Ross for Ralph's 50th Birthday meal.
I'll be like a house end ....... But there's always someone else fatter eh ? :laughing:
Slippery slope ................:whistle2::blush:
Anyway the oyster is doing it's job now and Huston we have a picture!
Moffat tomorrow . Have a good night all.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I know you've been to Moffat a few times so might know this, if you fancy a nice meal try Claudio's really nice place. If you fancy chip shop then try the Balmoral chippy. Have a nice trip

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Have a lovely trip, did Hawes last year and will definitely do again. Moffat is also a favourite. Where are you hiding that extra stone. ;)

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Where are you hiding that extra stone. ;)
Well I'm 5'11" so 13 stone isn't quite as wide on me, as someone whose only 5' a bit like stretching an elastic band:laughing:

Well we're here in Scotland.
image.png

First stop Moffat .
image.jpeg
Sun is out for us again too. The wardens say it's rained non stop for the last 3 weeks, this is the first sunny day.
image.jpeg
Let's hope we keep on being as lucky !
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Look at tomorrow's forecast for our next stop Aviemore :cooler:
image.png

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
I'll be seeing a welcome to Scotland quite often when I make my way back over the border after moving to England especially as I'm keeping Dentist and hospital there.(y) Weather looking great don't think we've had a bad day in Moffat. Weather great here in Cotswolds.(y)

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
If you're heading in the area of Aultbea on your travels, and you're obviously on a special birthday bash, then pop in here http://www.drumchork.com/whisky.asp
Apart from being very knowledgeable about the odd dram or two, the owner has his own (legal) still on the premises. Worth a look if you're passing. (y)

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Thanks @Baileysbus .
We are at Aultbea on the 23/9/16 for a nice meal at the Fat Whippet. It's Ralph's birthday http://www.aultbeahotel.co.uk/
So we shall pop in for a wee dram ! It would be rude not to !(y);)

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
After a bit of sunbathing and a couple of cold Scottish cans , we went out to eat.
image.jpeg
First meal out on our NC500 trip . We went to an old favourite of ours in Moffat , The Buccleuch Arms.
image.jpeg
Ralph had the steak and ale pie with veg n chips . This is the small version !
image.jpeg

I had crispy topped slow roasted belly pork braised with tomato and fennel , with veg.
image.jpeg
No puds as we were sampling whisky and drinking ale and were already as we said , both stone heavier before leaving home !
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

We called into the Star and the Stag too.
image.jpeg

Then back to pug , for a chill . Big moon over the hills
image.jpeg
Still surprisingly warm .
We are also surprised how full the site is. We've been coming here , at least once through out the year . Then for New Year for the last 3 years and already booked for this up - coming one , as there a great atmosphere in the town , with all the locals.
They have turned away several vans and caravans today that we've seen . Seemingly it's cheaper for pensioners here now the kids are back to school . So they are out in force hahaha. Worth taking a note . Most of the pubs take well behaved dogs , and lots of eating places do too.

Last edited:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Looks like your having a great start to the holiday, its been wall to wall sunshine today in Dumfries although we can be quite different from Moffat even though its less than 20 miles away must be due to the height and mountains.

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
@JockandRita Hahaha I know It's that thin , so thin , I think you can even drink it when pregnant !
We liked the look of the can , in the local shop , we won't have it again..... Not like our usual Theakstones old Perculiar , that's for sure.

Last edited:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I bought 6 bottles at £29 from waitrose online. Not keen on this version of pulteney
image.jpeg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back