North Berwick

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by markh, Mar 20, 2015.

1. markh

markh

Spring is here, the sun is out and I sit here in my office in North Berwick watching the growing numbers of motorhomes and campers coming into town, as they always do as the weather improves, but sadly this year many are going to be disapointed as the council have put signs up banning overnighting at the usual wilding areas (the signs have no legal standing as confirmed by EL council) but visitors don't know that

Now I'm happy for as many motorhomes and campers as possible to come here, so if you want to wild camp, you can use the rugby club car park on Dunbar road (its a public car park, no problem with overnighting) or a bit further along Dunbar road is a supermarket car park, the CO-OP have closed the shop, but the car park is still open. Both places are safe and an easy walk to the town

Enjoy your visit and wave when you pass the office on the corner of Forth/Quality Street as I'm in here wishing I was out in my van!

• Like Like x 15
  2. StanandShirley

StanandShirley Funster

Thanks for the information

3. jockaneezer

jockaneezer Funster

Keep meaning to have a run back up there, my Uncle lives at Port Seton and I used to work with a guy from West Barns (y)

4. big bertha

big bertha Funster

Like North Berwick, nearly bought a house there when I wanted the kids to go to a good school. Also stayed in a B &B on the front for a weeks holiday when I was a kid even though I only lived in Musselburgh. My dad owned a hotel in a village nearby so visited quite often.(y)

5. Debs

Debs Funster

:calig:

We will get up there sometime..

6. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I played a bit of golf up there about 30m years ago, we parked on a caravan park that bordered on to the local course it has (or at least had) a shortish par 3 playing to an island green on the beach about 50 feet below the tee, great hole, I think we used everything from a 3 wood to 9 iron during the week for same hole due to varying wind

Great memories of the golf, awful recollection of my 1 year old putting golf ball in her mouth, not only the pesticide risk, but it nearly got stuck behind her teeth

All my fault, I thought she would play with the balls not eat them

Will have a stop over next time we come up, thanks for the suggestion (y)

7. WillH

WillH Funster

Very handy to know as I like North Berwick, many thanks.

8. Finvarra

Finvarra Read Only Funster

Wilded on the seafront up past the end of the beach in April last year, lovely spot, sad to hear we are now banned. Walked into the town and spent pur money inlocal shops, did they think of that?????

9. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

I parked up for a time at the Co op carpark to shop and thought it a nice place to stay but were wary of being kicked off into the dark so we went out to the east and looked at a large area by the graveyard but in the end went to Bardness and spent a very wet and windy night by the gate to the lighthouse I would have preferred to stop at the Co op.

10. DonA4000

DonA4000 Funster

It's about time they take a leap out of Hawick city councils books and introduce a aires style parking ;)

• Like Like x 2
  11. markh

markh

I agree and it's sad that ELC have reacted to the moans of a bunch of wealthy incomers I make a point of saying hello to visitors and helping where I can, they make the businesses in the town viable

• Like Like x 1
  12. jonegood

jonegood Funster

Thanks for post.

Following previous posts we have been considering visiting.

Its not the money for us. Just prefer to be parked up within walking distance of the town or with a view and not hid behind a hedge five miles up a lane.

13. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

Not been there in years but mum mentioned it recently so will visit soon.

Thanks for the info.