Normandy campsites late February and early March? (1 Viewer)

PeeAndDee

Free Member
Aug 20, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T Line 740
Exp
3 months
Hi all
Just booked the tunnel for our very first European holiday in our motorhome, crossing to Calais on February 27th for 9 weeks travelling down the west side of France to southern Spain and then returning up the east side of France or the Rhine valley.
I know that we are travelling early in the year and suspect that the number of campsites open in Normandy will be limited so would appreciate any tips that you can give us for sites that are open in February/March otherwise we will make do with aires.
Particularly want to visit the beaches of the D Day landings and then on to see the abbey at Mont St Michel before we head south towards the Dordogne.
Any advice that you can give to us motorhome virgins on France at this time of year would be great.
Regards
Peter

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
Dont forget aires, not motorway style , but lots in local villages.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Unfortunately the aire we used for Mont St Michel is run by the nearby campsite and both appear to be shut between October and April, otherwise I'd have suggested it.

Mont St Michel is unbelievably touristy/tacky, but if the historic abbey is what you're interested in then at least the streets won't be full of tat shops and tourist hordes in February :).

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
At that time of year majority of camps sites will be closed but there are plenty of Aires but do travel with a full tank of water as a lot may have the water turned off.
Cemeteries & church yards can be a good source of water at that time of year.
If stuck for somewhere to stop overnight no one will mind if you stop in the village car park but don't do it if tomorrow is market day. A friend did that they built the market around him, he couldn't get out until 3pm.

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
About 1 km from le Mont St Michel is an aire at Beauvais.
All services including wifi for around 12.50€
As for campsites, most will be closed but all the aires are open, though sometimes the water is turned off if the weather is really bad
Honfleur is a good place to stop and the aire is right next to the harbour.
There is a good aire next door to the port at Ouistreham and just a few minutes walk to "The Bunker" there are also many other memorial sites along that part of the beach.

Reactions: f6c

Highwayman1

Free Member
May 9, 2013
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autohomes
Exp
Since 1980 on & off
We stored our caravan here for a few years, not cheap but it is open all year and convenient for the D day beaches.

http://www.normandycampsite.com/
I`ve stopped there too with my boys . I had no problems and the owners were very good . Fairly straight forward run from the tunnel if using main roads , close enough to St Mere Eglise for a trip, and also the D Day beaches and onwards south too. St Malo via Avranche & Mont St Michel is within striking distance. Why hurry though, so much before you get there on the Channel coast. Drive safe on your travels and enjoy relaxing.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Feb & March your going to be freezing your butt off. However, the D Day beaches are a must do IMO and I would save that for warmer months. September would be good.
If you have 9 weeks get yourself down to the Spanish Med. A lot warmer and a lot drier, especially in the Murcia region. Benidorm would be fine at this time of year compared to Normandy.
Some route advice.
http://about-france.com/tourism/no-tolls-routes.htm
http://about-spain.net/travel/map.htm

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Actually, based on what PhilandMena said, it might be worth going south first and then doing the battle field visits a little later in the year on your way back to the UK.
Mind you Normandy and Brittany can still be a little chilly in late April'ish.
That's why we try and leave it until at least the end of April/ early May before we get back home

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Have to agree with above posts. N France in late Feb / March can be cold as UK and many sites closed and aires may have water turned off... Straight to Spain and fit in France on the way back.. :xThumb:

Oct 20, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 625
Exp
Since 2016 and caravanning before that
I a similar vein we are visiting the Normandy area in mid September specifically for the D Day sites. First time abroad in the motorhome so any tips would be gratefully received. Most particularly, as Weenie will be our only transport what is the parking like at places like Pegasus Bridge, Arromanches, Courseulles, Colleville, St Mere Eglise. Would we be best to stay at one campsite, Arromances perhaps, or use different ones.
Many thanks

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I a similar vein we are visiting the Normandy area in mid September specifically for the D Day sites. First time abroad in the motorhome so any tips would be gratefully received. Most particularly, as Weenie will be our only transport what is the parking like at places like Pegasus Bridge, Arromanches, Courseulles, Colleville, St Mere Eglise. Would we be best to stay at one campsite, Arromances perhaps, or use different ones.
Many thanks
Based on our last tour, you will be fine, plenty of motorhome parking and September is the best time to visit as school holidays finish on the 2nd and the roads clear and campsite prices drop through the floor and most importantly, the weather is brill. Do not miss the Museum at Caen and a visit to Saint Mere Eglise (they have a superb museum in the town). Make sure you visit Melville and visit at least one national war cemetery.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Many thanks

Pegasus bridge, large car park, takes coaches so no issues. They will allow you to stay over as well if you ask.
Arromanches, large car park (pay) on cliff tops. When we went, were allowed to overnight.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@49.3...4!1sBJdvpoZ_vYW2BDdGcoHnPg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Touring between the sites is easy and there is always somewhere to park a motorhome, remember this is France and "camping cars" are a lot more accepted than here in UK... We often just stayed on village car parks etc and never once had a problem.
It's a trip we need to go do again....

Oct 20, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 625
Exp
Thank you tonka and neighbours PhilandMena. I had forgotten Merville Battery and intend to visit the Bayeeux Cemetery. I suspect my Dad would like me to take a poppy cross there. When he was a lad growing up he and his mates idolised a older lad in the village who was captain and best player of the football and cricket teams and was in the local Fire Brigade too. He was in a reserved occupation but badgered and badgered until he was finally able to join up. Did all his training and was dead before 10 am on D Day

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Bayeux Cemetery is absolutely beautiful. However - the memorial opposite is even more touching, when you don't have any direct connection to the graveyard itself.

Bayeux aire is actually on an unlovely carpark but it does mean you can visit the town and anything you might like looking at, some bit of embroidery or whatever, easily on foot.

There's also a very small aire in Arromanche, down the bottom of the slight hill!

Reactions: f6c
Oct 20, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 625
Exp
Thank you sedge. We were wondering about basing ourselves in the Camping Municipal in Arromanches

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back