Normandy Beaches

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by donnkim, Jan 22, 2013.

1. donnkim

donnkim Funster

We are also doing our first motorhome trip to France over 2 months - June/July so will be taking our time. Once we leave eurotunnel we want to head to the DDay Beaches for 2 or 3 days.
    Can anyone recommend Aires or Campsitesi in the area. Would be great near the beach with views - not bothered about big commercial sites, we don't need pools etc.
    Any other - must see - places you would recommend?
    Thanks
    Don

2. froggy59

froggy59 Funster

3. f6c

f6c Funster

Port Besson Arromarches are good aires:Wink:

4. dshague

dshague Funster

5. Larby

Larby Funster

Hello, I did my first trip to France in a Motorhome in August-September. I actually parked on the cliffs alongside the 360 degree cinema at Arromanche. Being late afternoon we parked for free. The car-park attendant arrives about 8:30am so you can go or pay to stay.
    We also visited Pegasus Bridge near Caen. Got there in the evening and parked overnight for free in the grass-stone car-park opposite the Museum.
    Watched the bridge rise for a boat to pass twice. Went in the Museum next morning.

Enjoy your trip.

Oh, Honfleur is a must. Easy walk into town. Costs 10 euros for 24 hours from arrival, even electric if not too busy.

Peter

6. JOHNSTEY

JOHNSTEY Read Only Funster

If you fancy a night or two inland go to the municipal camping in Falaise. Lovely site right below the castle where William the Conqueror was born and good value at around 14 euros.Only a short walk into the war ravaged but still interesting old town.Recommended.:thumb:

7. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

There's a free Aire in the centre of Bayeux with a theoretical maximum stay of 24 hours.

Honfleur's worth a look - it has a huge Aire. It's also worth pulling into the parking area near the toll booths at the Pont de Normandie (if you're crossing it) and taking a walk up to the viewing platform.

Mont St Michel is in my humble opinion overrated - nice to look at from a distance but horribly commercial up close.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
    • Like Like x 1