Non-opening window removal

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Teignman, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Teignman

Teignman

Hi
    I've just discovered water seeping into the van between the plastic window and its rubber 'seal' on the non-opening window at the side of the luton on our 1993 Elddis Autoquest. My instinct is to get it out to reseal it properly but I haven't been able to find any how-to guidance.
    When it stops raining I will get at it with the goo gun for a temporary repair. Any advice on removal and replacement will be gratefully received. If none is forthcoming I'll get at it again with the goo gun for a longer term repair.
    Thanks in anticipation.

P1120377.JPG

2. berni109

berni109 Funster

Cant quite see from the photo but when I did a roof edge window on an old landy there was a rubber half moon sealing bead that pushed into a groove in the exterior of the main part of the seal. Could then force (and I mean forced) the main seal away from its seating against the bodywork. Getting it all back together was a bit of a task as well.
    I might be totally wrong but good luck in getting it fixed.

3. Teignman

Teignman

Thanks for that Berni.... I've just been round to have a look at the window and it does look like inserts would have to be removed from the exterior. Was the force required to overcome some sort of sealant or to physically jam the window and main seal through the aperture as one? Is the window not removed before the main seal?
    I'll put a better photo up later.
    Cheers

4. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

I would also replace the seal as they harden with age and unlikely to fit correctly if you use the old one.

5. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

No seal and window are removed together after the spreading bead has been removed and fitting is an exact reversal
    Do not try removing or fitting window without bringing the seal with it
    Warning Old plastic windows go brittle with age and care is required I'd Source whereabout of a spare before just in case
    Look on Utube for the tools and how to fit old style windscreens and for fitting tips, you should have a special tool for re fitting the spreader bead
    For about £25 a Local screen fitter would remove seal and re fit for you
    G

6. berni109

berni109 Funster

Just getting the main seal and glass out (actually into the vehicle) through the aperture. Probably worse with plastic since easier to break. as said above. Getting it all back involved using thin rope and I made a tool out of thick wire to spread the seal for the insert.
    I might be inclined to take the advice offered by @Geo and at least get a price. Quite possible to make a mess of the thin ally skin if its a really tight fit.

7. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

looking at the photo the water may be entering from the front corner where the roof is damaged and syphoning back to the nearest opening

8. Teignman

Teignman

Thanks to all for the prompt replies. Just been to get a decent photo of the seal...

P1170012.JPG

...but I think my questions are answered.

The roof is damaged 'TheBig1' but not holed. I can actually see the water coming between the window and seal.

Thanks again

9. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Easiest way to remove any insert beading is to go to Longleat safari park and let the monkeys take it out for you ... they are very good at it! :LOL: