non French speaking solo traveller. (1 Viewer)

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Bonjour - voulez vous promenade avec moi ce soir?

(the French equivalent of Allo sailor - goin my way?) (Je pense ....)

:rofl:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
listen my friend, when they ruled england for countless generations they made no effort in the slightest to speak english!

Head up..nice and proud..you are an Englishman abroad!:rolleyes:

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Ja naturlich, aber...
...je pense que l'on dit "bonjour" when you meet someone rather than "bon matin"

There will be a native French speaker along soon I'm sure to give us the definitive version - please! :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
By the way for the OP

My experiences in France as a child were very bad. Rudeness and refusal to even try and understand me when I muddled along in bad schoolboy French. As an adult though I have loved my time in France. I find the French helpful and courteous and willing to help with pronunciation and sign language depending on how badly I mess up my original attempts.

Germans on the other hand will reply in perfect English then have a laugh with you about your attempts, correct your grammar for you and thethbehave like a long lost friend

In Holland, just go straight to English. No point trying Dutch it's too hard and the lowlanders don't mind.

In Belgium, just keep driving, you're never far from a real country...

:imoutahere:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
OP - you're never too old to learn, although it has to be said that language evening classes at local colleges are thinner on the ground than they used to be. I can't find a German evening class anywhere, and the little I know from Commando war stories won't get me very far unless I encounter an artillery bombardment. Then I can run around yelling Achtung! Gott in Himmel! and Schnell!

The single most useful book I ever bought for foreign travel was a book on French street and road signs. There's also no substitute for wandering around supermarkets learning the words for different items. Asking directions, buying tickets and ordering a meal and drinks in a restaurant will get you by, but spending some time learning how to communicate will make for a more interesting trip in the long run.

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Just had a look at Sanef,I see vehicle has to be under 3mtrs. The actual vehicle is ok,but,Kathrein Sat tv takes it about 15 cms over. Would that cause problems ?

We are also over the 3m height since fitting the dome some time ago, was concerned that we may move in to a different price bracket but no, same rates as previously. Along with the sat nav the tag is one of the best bits of kit we have purchased.

Sep 22, 2014
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Duetto
Exp
Since 2014
Hi
I'm going to France later in the year on my own and am getting one of those sticks like a litter picker up for the toll's, just hope it will be long enough to reach across the cab.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Gott in Himmel...

Bonjour is good day
bon matin is the phrase you were looking for...

Errrr.... No Sir ! I'm afraid not . Bon matin doesn't exist. Well the two words exist but not together I'm afraid

Bonjour for Good Morning ... up to let's say 1.00pm
Then Bon après-midi which stands for good afternoon
At the end of the afternoon you can say .... Bonne fin de journée! NOT jour!!!!

Bonne Soirée is Good Evening
Bonne nuit Good Night
Faites de beaux rêves (if you really want to wish sweet dreams... but not to someone you just met....it would be a bit weird)

If you want to know more about Bon and Bonne

Bon is used with masculine words and Bonne with feminine words

Bon Appétit (don't pronounce the ending "t")
Bonne promenade
Bonne balade (same as promenade but a little bit more familiar)
Someone tells you he/she/they are going to the restaurant.: Bon restaurant (short is : Bon resto)
Going out for an aperitif with friends : you then wish them:Bon Apéro

Teacher Frog Franckie:D

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Errrr.... No Sir ! I'm afraid not . Bon matin doesn't exist. Well the two words exist but not together I'm afraid

Bonjour for Good Morning ... up to let's say 1.00pm
Then Bon après-midi which stands for good afternoon
At the end of the afternoon you can say .... Bonne fin de journée! NOT jour!!!!

Bonne Soirée is Good Evening
Bonne nuit Good Night
Faites de beaux rêves (if you really want to wish sweet dreams... but not to someone you just met....it would be a bit weird)

If you want to know more about Bon and Bonne

Bon is used with masculine words and Bonne with feminine words

Bon Appétit (don't pronounce the ending "t")
Bonne promenade
Bonne balade (same as promenade but a little bit more familiar)
Someone tells you he/she/they are going to the restaurant.: Bon restaurant (short is : Bon resto)
Going out for an aperitif with friends : you then wish them:Bon Apéro

Teacher Frog Franckie:D
We need a French lessons forum so we can all improve our attempts at conversing with the locals when we are on our holidays :LOL:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
My postillion has been struck by lightning .....

Mon postillon a été foudroyé ...

Just in case ;)

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
If you want to pick up some French then you could spend a while here at Parc Verger - there are classes in Dino's (the local bar) every week for beginners and you can join in a group that get together for French conversation. You'll pick up enough to get by very quickly, and from then on you can practice on French folk, most of whom will be happy to help you and correct both what you are trying to say and your pronunciation. We've learned so much since we came here, and it is great being able to natter to those around us. Age does not matter - both of us were retired when we came here, and we reckon that this learning has helped to keep our minds active. If you want to do it go ahead and do so!
Bob
www.parcverger.com

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
:LOL::LOL::LOL: ...where did you get that one from? De dessous les fagots....jamais entendu LOL

From a book my mother had at school!! ;)

Other gems were things like "Puis-je aller au cabinet?", and "Il eut fallu que j'eusse eu ..." or 'Tur-lu-tutu-chapeau pointu"...

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
From a book my mother had at school!! ;)

Other gems were things like "Puis-je aller au cabinet?", and "Il eut fallu que j'eusse eu ..." or 'Tur-lu-tutu-chapeau pointu"...

As we were very naughty when younger we used to say "Il eut fallu que je le susse" meaning savoir but sounding like ...errrr... sucer... Lol naughty naughty:blush::blush::blush::blush: !

Still... don't get at all what the sentence with postillon means... "a été foudroyé"? Are you sure it is "postillon"... could it be PORTILLON by any chance?? Postillon is when you split while talking... sounds really really weird! While portillon is a small gate (garden for example)

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Hi, Franckie

A postillion (or postilion) was the driver mounted on one of the leading horses of a horse-drawn coach or post-chaise in the 18th and 19th centuries.

"My postillion has been struck by lightning" is often given as an example of the ridiculous phrases supposed to have been found in phrase books or language instruction in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.

Attachments

• Postillion.png
    Postillion.png
    323.1 KB · Views: 6
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Ok now it makes sense in English BUT .... the French word still means a split .... so it still doesn't make any sense in French. I'll have a look at the dictionary just in case it is an old word we don't use anymore!

EDIT: Just found it in French : never heard of it, we use "cocher" but even so it is not exactly the same thing. Not used at all nowadays, that's for sure!

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
If you want to pick up some French then you could spend a while here at Parc Verger - there are classes in Dino's (the local bar) every week for beginners and you can join in a group that get together for French conversation. You'll pick up enough to get by very quickly, and from then on you can practice on French folk, most of whom will be happy to help you and correct both what you are trying to say and your pronunciation. We've learned so much since we came here, and it is great being able to natter to those around us. Age does not matter - both of us were retired when we came here, and we reckon that this learning has helped to keep our minds active. If you want to do it go ahead and do so!
Bob
www.parcverger.com

Much as I would love to I have to get the kids to school each day and earn pennies to put bread on the table.. je suis désolé

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Le postillon de Lonjumeau (The Postillion of Lonjumeau) is an opéra-comique in three acts by Adolphe Adam to a French libretto by 'Adolphe de Leuven' and 'Brunswick' (pen names of Adolphe von Ribbing and Léon Lévy).
The newly married postilion, or coachman, (Chapelou) and his wife (Madeleine), an innkeeper, to ensure that their marriage will be a joyous one, decide to consult a clairvoyant, who predicts that things will not go smoothly in their marriage but does not state exactly what will occur nor when. Initially concerned, their thoughts are temporarily forgotten as they enjoy their wedding night. Several days into the marriage, the Marquis de Corcy (who is also the director of the Royal Paris Opera House) arrives at the inn that Madeleine owns and Chapelou works at. He is immediately smitten with Chapelou's wife, but doesn't say anything to her. Then he overhears her husband singing his ‘usual’ song with other guests at the inn, and is impressed with his beautiful voice. He decides to invite the young coachman to join the Marquis’ company, but they have to leave immediately. With excitement, Chapelou asks his friend, Biju, to tell his wife where he has gone and what he plans to do. Chapelou and the Marquis then quickly depart for Paris, leaving Madeleine in a state of shock.

"POSTILION" FRENCH TRANSLATION
Results: 1-1 of 1

postilion {noun}
postilion {noun}

postillon (cocher) {m}

A postilion (or postillion, occasionally Anglicised to "post-boy"[1]) rider was the driver of a horse-drawn coach or post chaise, mounted on one of the drawinghorses.[2] By contrast, a coachman would be mounted on the vehicle along with the passengers.

Postilion riders normally rode the left (or "near") horse of a pair because horses usually were trained only to be mounted from the left.[3][4] With a double team, either there would be two postilions, one for each pair,[5] or one postilion would ride on the left rear horse in order to control all four horses.

Postilions were typically supplied with a special rigid boot for use on their inside (right hand) leg. This appliance provided protection from possible crushing injury due to contact with the central wooden shaft (if any) and the body of the adjacent horse.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back