non French speaking solo traveller.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Khizzie, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

Hi although I have travelled quite a lot in Europe it was always with my late wife who could speak French so I never bothered to learn it other than the odd sentence. Now that I am now on my own and never travelled in my motorhome in france can anyone tell me if there are any major difficulties should I decide to visit France. Would be very grateful for advice.

2. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

None that I have come across as long as you understand the various road signs. Neither my wife nor I speak or understand French, if there is a problem someone usually around to help or Yodeli to contact.

3. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

Hellooooo..... Quelques leçons???? Learning can be easy.... Understanding is another job. But I can figure out the usual things you could have to understand. If you want to give it a try just give a shout!

Amicalement

Frankie;)

• Like Like x 8
  4. AuldCodger

AuldCodger Read Only Funster

Language or lack of won't be a problem I am sure. Would suggest an extra n/s mirror as some junctions and I am thinking of leaving m/way services and rest areas can be tricky without a passenger.
    Many happy travels (y)

• Like Like x 2
  5. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

Thankyou yodelli I will remember you,but as to learning I am well into my dotage and the grey matter has no memory cells left to store anything new ,especially a new language...haha

• Like Like x 1
  6. Neckender

Neckender Funster

All that you need to know is "Grande Bier".

John.

• Like Like x 3
  7. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Tolls are a bit of a pain on your own, presuming you are RHD, I find it best to get out and pay and take tickets etc

A good phrase book is essential, but most important I find is trying to speak French, most will then help, in my case a couple of times asking if we can please speak in English :D

It will almost certainly not be as bad as you expect :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Shop in supermarkets and that will crack the vittling problem. Fuel is easy, either self-service or use sign language if the pump is attended. Learning the numbers up to 10 will help, or use fingers!

If checking in to a campsite there are only a few phrases you need, how many night and whether you want electricity. "un durgh new aveck electricity" while pointing at the MH with the multi-lingual finger will probably get you a couple of nights with sparks. The pronunciation will have professors of French falling on their plumes but it should suffice.

• Like Like x 6
  9. GreenHell

GreenHell Funster

If you have access to the web, or a smartphone. Google Translate is a god send in countries you aren't comfortable with the language.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

They understand Anglo Saxon..,:)

11. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

Hi, I am traveling through France soon 0n my own - just signed up for a toll 'tag' - Sanef - no need to get out and pay

Tag arrived 2 days later

(y)

• Like Like x 2
  12. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

Just had a look at Sanef,I see vehicle has to be under 3mtrs. The actual vehicle is ok,but,Kathrein Sat tv takes it about 15 cms over. Would that cause problems ?

13. sedge

sedge Funster

Well I'm no professor - but WTF is the 'un durgh new' bit? Surely you want 'un omplassmont aveck electrictay, poor un ooh duh newee' don't you? I know we do, but there again most of em speak English these days! And with better grammar than me, too!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Tombo

Tombo

No problermo,
    Just shout very loud and say "why don't you learn English you frog eating b------s.
    I find this gets through to them. I must admit though, my wine tasted a bit funny.

• Like Like x 2
  15. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

Well I must admit that even if used to all the funny things English say in French , I haven't got the slightest idea of what that means ....:Eeek::Eeek:
    Edit ..... Reading back your post Jenny ..... I think I should start the courses again .... pronunciation seems to be the eck!! You're imitating the English accent in such a way:LOL::p Skype courses may be?!!! LOL

16. JACQ

JACQ Funster

If you have a smart phone why not download the Word Lens app. Someone recommended it on the forum a few days ago, sorry can't remember who now, and it's fantastic! It translates text from one language to another using your phone's camera, useful for signs and menus, amongst other things. It doesn't need Internet access once you've downloaded all the various options, all free. Good luck in your solo travels!

• Like Like x 3
  17. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

Wife sits in the back watching telly with the little one, so I am flying solo in the captains chair. I usually scoot over to the passenger seat and deal with the tolls/cards. I find the lanes are usually so narrow I can't open the door wide enough to exit.
    On a slightly related note, has anyone else found that the ticket machines have slots at HGV height, and car height, both of which are in totally the wrong position for a motorhome?

• Like Like x 2
  18. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

I use the French forum Campingcar Rapido and I mainly post with the help of google translate. It is amazing how many sentences simply do not translate literally and can be quite amusing but my French friends love my attempts and contributions. On the odd occassion I cannot be bothered so I post an article in English but the management see it of value and quickly translate it for eveyones benefit.
    My wife speaks more French than me but her pronunciation is top drawer and puts me to shame.

GOOGLE TRANSLATE HERE bookmark it!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

Thanks have saved Google translate it looks good.

20. Clive

Clive Funster Life Member

I have been going over the last 3 years on my own, after the first trip I bought the BBC Active French Talk & Talk 2 off of Amazon. Got enough off that to feel comfortable buying stuff in a market. (y)