Non-expiring Vodafone dongle on eBay

Discussion in 'Computers' started by GJH, Feb 3, 2011.

1. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Saw this on another forum. Argos clearance Here.

According to the description this is "The only pay as you surf mobile broadband with no 30-day expiry."

2. freelanderuk

freelanderuk Read Only Funster

Hi Graham

where did you see the details about this as i just sent a message to the seller and got a reply back saying no details on this item

3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Details on bottom of sellers page

Item Description
    Read ratings and reviews for this product here

[15 TopUp gets you 1GB of data.
    Doubles up as a memory stick using a MicroSD card.
    The only pay as you surf mobile broadband with no 30-day expiry.
    Compatible with Windows 2000, XP, Vista and Mac 10.4 and 10.5.
    3.6 Mbps download speed.
    Plug in and go.
    See vodafone.co.uk for details.

4. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

That would be useful, I'm on a dongle now as I'm in the middle of a switch from TalkTalk to Sky and had to renew my dongle time yesterday.

But............ I can't see any mention of no expiry on it.

Edit:

Too quick for me - I'll go and look.

5. alcorn54

alcorn54 Read Only Funster

Just plug your phone into your lap top connect through that,if you pay for internet with your provider its totally free ,used mine for years. Alan

6. MrMotorhome

MrMotorhome Read Only Funster

Pay as you Go

Looks like a good deal. I read from some reviews you have to use it at least once within 120 days or you loose the min £15.00 credit required.

7. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

True, I started using a mobile phone for Internet connection over 10 years ago. However, connection speed does depend on the phone capabilities. Even today many phones don't have the 3G+ (or even 3G) capability which dongles have.

8. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Jim got in before me Chris :Smile: I have to admit I am just going by the details in the listing, I haven't contacted Argos. However, as Argos is such a big company then if there were a problem I don't doubt they would give a refund.

I just had a look at the main Argos site and the Vodafone dongle currently listed in their catalogue Here is described as "30 day top up expiry" so it does appear that their eBay Clearance store is getting rid of old stock.

9. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

Thank you Alan, time I moved on a bit, I'm still on an a ten year old Nokia and only use it for emergencies and texts so I'll have to get with it.

10. MrMotorhome

MrMotorhome Read Only Funster

Sadly nothings for free! :BigGrin::BigGrin:

Andrew

11. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

I have had one of these for well over a year now

I have a vodaphone dongle and have so well over a year now. You have to use it once in every six months.. (was what I was told when I bought it).. so that may be now reduced to 120 days.. but I just turn on my Dell Note Pad on the RV and log on every now and then.. still got £11 left all this time on... just tend to use it to check emails.. but then I do have an Apple Iphone 4 and can do that from the phone as well.

I purchased my Dell note pad in the USA on a trip and used it there so it came home with us and we then purchased the dongle... works fine.

Bob:thumb:

12. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

If its the same one that I have, as said, you have to top up £15 at a time, and as long as you use it once in 6 months, you will not loose your credit.

I can surf for an hour, and use up pennies. You can alse easliy check how much credit you have left.

As a matter of interest, I have a nokia xpress, how do I connect to my notebook to use the phones internet?

S

13. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

First of all the phone must have a built-in modem.

Then there are three ways I know of to connect a phone to a computer: Data cable, Bluetooth and Infra red (not seen so often these days). The method(s) which can actually be used will depend on the capabilities of the phone and the computer.

Looking at the spec for your phone Here and Here I see that it has a modem, has Bluetooth and should have come with a data cable (so you have two connection options).

However, as the phone only supports 2G you won't be able to achieve the 3G/3G+ speeds which the dongle supports.

14. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

R U not getting just 1Gb that expires when used?

15. alcorn54

alcorn54 Read Only Funster

cable or Data

I have an old Motorola V8 about 4 years old with 3G( 3rd Generation0most newish phones all connect to a computer and if you pay for the internet or like myself now have an Andriod phone connection is totally free . Paying for a dongle is a thing from the past ,in fact its a waste of money and has been for years. If you plug your dongle in the side of your lap top just replace it with a data cable ,or link via blue tooth either way if your phone has a signal you have access to the internet ,compare the cost of your dongle to upgrading your phone? alan .

16. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Each £15 top-up on the older style dongle buys 1GB which expires when used (which could be over several months). Each £15 top-up on the newer style dongle buys 3GB which expires after 30 days whether used or not.

So, with the older dongle you buy less capacity but (so log as you sign on at least once every 6 months) you don't lose any of that capacity but with the newer dongle you lose whatever capacity you haven't used at the end of the 30 days.

For people who only use a dongle when away in the van or have a low usage anyway then the amount used in a month is probably going to be way below 3GB (and probably way below 1GB).

17. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Depends what deal you have Alan. I got my dongle from T-Mobile on contract in February 2008. It was expensive considering my usage but the best available at that time and cheaper than the mobile I had then to get the 3G+ speed I needed.

Last year when the contract finished I had the dongle unlocked and now have PAYG 3 and non-expiring Vodafone SIMS which mean I pay very small amounts which are worth it for the convenience.

Basically a matter of each to their own preference :Smile:

18. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

It does not seem good value to me, for £15.00 I get 5Gig of data from Three.co but there is a 30 days expiry. but even that is not a problem for me as I use up all the data allowance.

Doug...

19. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

as you say, as a heavy user it wouldn't be a good deal.. but for many like me who only use infrequently and have on occasions 'lost' more data than I've used .. so for me it would be ideal

20. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

My son gave me a Vodafone non-expiring dongle for Christmas just over two years ago. I think it's great! I only use it when out and about and travelling in the motorhome. The 1gb lasts absolutely ages - for me anyway. I've only topped it up once with another £15 of credit and I did that well before the original credit had been used up. In fact, I think I've still got about a pound or two of the original credit left.

Drawback is it only works in the UK, and you are dependent on the service available. Given we tend to go off the beaten track quite a lot in the MH, the speed can be pretty slow. But where there's a decent 3G signal it works well. Out in the sticks you just need a bit of patience.