Non-electric water heating?2007 Chausson Allegro83 (1 Viewer)

Kanberlingo

Free Member
May 18, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
10yrs. & 20yrs towing.
Hi all,

Has anyone ever looked at the feasibility of converting the gas only water heater on the above to gas & electric. At first glance it would appear that we are paying for electric on sites, when the only power being used, is for the fridge, kettle, & the TV (when there's owt worth watching) All the hot water is accessed via the gas boiler. I know that if it was possible to do a retro fit, it would cost an arm & a leg, & that it would be cheaper to stay with gas only, as the cost of a conversion would probably far out weigh the gas used.
But it would be interesting to delve into the possibility if one existed.

Cheers

BeeJay

OP
OP
Kanberlingo

Kanberlingo

Free Member
May 18, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
10yrs. & 20yrs towing.
Of course you could fall at the final fence -- it's possible that the heater would take more power than is available on some sites.

Thanks for that, but surely the element would only be the same capacity as is used in factory fitted units.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 18, 2011
cheshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2001
Water otter

Hi, if you think about it, if you keep that old standby, the elctrick kettle plugged in, you could back up your gas only hot water heater, not a perfect soloution I know, but I find nothing ever is on a motorhome, solve one problem and you get another. Cheers Ronboyracer:ROFLMAO:

Allegro83

Free Member
Jul 20, 2010
Balfron, Stirling
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer L
Exp
15 years
Hi

We have an Allegro 83 and found the same problem of paying for electric and not using it except by using an oil filled heater(cold bathroom) and using the electric kettle.

There are many routes which we looked at

Add electric hot water element to the bolier
Change whole unit for gas/electric hot water and heating
Change to diesel/electric heating and hot water.

Non of the above will be cheaper than adding a gaslow system and continuing to use gas.

We however decided to have the Webasto Dualtop fitted and we're really pleased with it. We no longer have to worry about having enough gas for our winter trip to Spain. We changed for the convenience of being able to use electric which we are paying for and when not on EHU we always have the diesel and don't have to worry about gas running out. We decide electric/diesel option is better than elecric/gas and having decided to keep our motorhome indefinitely went ahead with the change.

Jan

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Another alternative would be to fit a calorifier, as fitted to many boats. On a boat the initial heat is supplied by the engines cooling system heat exchanger and on my boat that's all there was.

I removed the hot water tank and fitted an 800w submersible heater (immersion heater) this of course would run off shore power (EHU) and also my whisper quiet 1000w gennie.

At 800w it took about 15 mins to heat the tank sufficiently for two showers, that is two people to shower one after the other.

I would have thought it fairly easy for the gas heater to take the place of the heat exchanger, hmm, worth thinking about. ..Griff

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back