Non ABS Motorhome

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by joggerman, Mar 25, 2013.

1. joggerman

joggerman Read Only Funster

Some of the older classic vans I have seen do not have ABS fitted (even some mid 2000's models).

How many Funsters are OK about driving non ABS vans, and how safe is it with a motorhome ?

2. busby

busby Funster

Well we managed without it for years. Personally i dont like it, but then again i am an old fossil.

3. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

2006 Autotrail Scout !

No ABS fitted !!:Eeek: who cares, :Blush:drive carefully or don't drive in conditions where it might be of help ! (I don't !):Cool:

I had it in a car once ! It never came on in the 4 years I had it !:RollEyes:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

In my opinion ABS may be an advantage in a high powered car, but I cannot possibly see any advantage in something weighing in excess of 3.5 tons that rarely in my case travels at more than 50 MPH. Far to many drivers rely on these gizmos to get them out of trouble instead of driving by watching the road further ahead and using defensive driving techniques. The way I see it is its just something else to go wrong and another warning light that often wont go out.

• Like Like x 6
  5. Terry

Terry Funster

I agree with Dave (SB) it is simply another thing to go wrong :Doh:I had a sensor come loose 2 yrs just before mot which because light was on van failed:Eeek: did not affect brakes on rolling road test at all--even if you disconnect it, no good you have to completely remove it off the van
    :Doh::BigGrin:
    Terry

6. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

Well all I can say I have been driving for 44+ years motorcars...and 50 years driving on the roads...and what vehicles I have had it on motorhomes or cars a or mpvs ....:Doh: I have never used or had to use Abs....:thumb:....is this a trick question:RollEyes::Wink::Wink:

7. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

More coal, more coal !!

What did you do with that Stanley Steamer that you bought from new !:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  8. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

You won't notice the difference if you drive within your limits.

Craig

• Like Like x 1
  9. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

I forgot about that Steve...Sold it and got a good price for it:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  10. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

neither our 1988 or 1990 motorhome had ABS on them.

As long as you keep to the highway code and know your stopping distances there is no real difference and of course its one less thing to go wrong on the vehicle.

ABS didnt exist not so long ago and cars, vans, lorries and motorhomes all managed perfectly well without it but then again we managed without power steering too. Perhaps thats why so many youngsters these days dont have the muscles they used to have :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  11. busby

busby Funster

Steering wheel acts quicker than brakes any time. Concentration is key. Did not help me in Germany though when my van was written off. I pulled of the road onto the grass varge and the git stlill removed the side of my van. Think he was an ex Focker pilot.

12. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Our 2005 van has no ABS. Some of our cars have in recent years, but I can't think of any occasion where having it has been an advantage. In fact the ABS on one of our cars became a positive liability whenever our road iced over.

Just give yourself plenty of distance from whatever's ahead, have your brakes checked regularly, and don't let your tyres treads wear too thin.

13. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

Sorry i have to be blunt this time but
    if you think driving without ABS is a problem just maybe you shouldtnt drive at all - ABS is to make sure that a person has controlled braking so if a persons driving is bad/fast enough to make that a necessity that person mustnt be a competent driver.
    One wonders how such drivers would get on if they didnt have power assisted steering as well.

• Like Like x 4
  14. JJ

JJ Funster

The truth is that, although I know ABS is something to do with the brakes, I don't actually know what it does or which cars I have driven had it.

Does it go wrong when people are relying on it?

In short and to answer the OP... I wouldn't worry whether a motorhome had it or not...

JJ:Cool:

• Like Like x 2
  15. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

ABS is anti-lock braking system.
    What it does is recognise when the wheels have locked, and releases the brakes and applies the brakes and so on, all in a heartbeat.
    What I was taught, was that when the wheels locked, release the brake pedal, and apply the brake pedal, and so on, so as not to skid. If you are skidding you are not in control.
    I have driven hundreds of thousands of miles on motorbikes, in cars, vans, trucks and artics, and the only vehicle i have had ABS on, is my pick up truck i bought in October.
    ABS is for people that hit the brakes hard in a blind panic and don't release the pedal. It stops them skidding.
    If you drive sensibly, and have a command of your driving, and keep the correct distance from the vehicle in front, and drive according to the conditions, you will be fine.
    When i drove artics, the tractor unit alone would stop dead if you hit the brakes. With a trailer on, it was different, more of a normal braking distance, and if you were grossing around 32 tons, then you had to really think ahead, as the stopping distance would be increased 10 fold.

Craig

• Like Like x 3
  16. Terry

Terry Funster

ABS is a foolproof way of applying what used to be called Candace braking in slippery conditions, taught to me when I was a lad at 17 :BigGrin: ie in snow :Smile: no good on ice that was a case of sit and kiss your arse goodbye :BigGrin:
    Terry

• Like Like x 1
  17. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I can only think of one situation where ABS would be useful.
    It's where you have to do an emergency brake AND steer.
    If someone pulls out in front of you and you have to slam the anchors on and steer around them. It just makes it a bit more likely that the manoeuvre will be successful.

As an ex biker, I treat any vehicle coming towards a side junction on the road I am driving on as a threat. I just don't trust any other driver. So far never needed ABS...

• Like Like x 1
  18. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Your quite right Terry
    Im suprised no one has mentioned one of the biggest advantages of this new fangled ABS

That was first used in 1929 and throught the 60s70 on a lot of well known makes
    and that is
    ?????
    Answers on a post card please:RollEyes:

19. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Apart from Grommet whos answer wasnt there when i looked

YES STEERING
    It is vastly enhanced with ABS 10/10 Karl
    PS it was tried on Triumph Motor cycles too

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  20. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

I believe to be a good driver, you should have a motorbike first. That will teach you the art of driving defensively, and also the fine art of 'feeling' what your tyres are doing.

Craig

• Like Like x 2