Noisy roof light (1 Viewer)

Jun 15, 2016
West Cumbria
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Symbol
Exp
I'm a newbie
Can anyone please tell me if they have found a way of stopping the whistling from the roof vent whilst travelling...whilst unpleasant for us... it is driving our dog demented! Any suggestions gratefully received.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I don't get any noise, I would suggest your roof light is not sealing. That's where I would look first. Maybe new rubbers?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Errr ...

13549-earmuffs.jpg

:imoutahere:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
To be serious ... not all roof lights have the draught seal on them as they are supposed to 'provide ventilation' for H&S reasons! If it hasn't got a seal then you can use some rubber/sponge sticky back door draught seal to lessen the gap (so long as you have ventilation elsewhere).

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Good luck, our last Rapido had vented ones and I tried almost everything and never found a cure

Jun 17, 2015
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
July 2015 plus 20 years of camping
Is it an MPK 40x40? I replaced ours with a heki mini plus. Before that i could not open cab windows while driving as the pressure caused the MPK to make a hell of a racket.

2 hours work 80 quid and a bit of mastic and light swearing and I have a van that will happilly do 70 with the cab windows open and without that horrible noise.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We had a roughly 300mm square one - not sure of maker but there were seals available.

We fitted them to out Autotrail and it shut them up. (y)

Alas I can't find the company that sold them but will have a search and post when I do - Sorry - I know not much help :(

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
get a spoiler and glue it to the roof in front of the vent to make an effective dam to deflect the air over it,

Jun 17, 2015
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
July 2015 plus 20 years of camping
You could try posting some pictures of the offending rooflight. That might help us work out the issues. But I suspect a spoiler or a replacement is probably your most likely solution.

OP
OP
Sarahbrightvan
Jun 15, 2016
West Cumbria
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Symbol
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks everyone for your input. Funny enough I had considered ear protectors for the dog.. made me smile..I'll get a picture from inside of the offending roof light and post it later. Had looked at the spoiler option, but wasn't sure as the van roof profile already has a raised area at the front and the roof light is then in a dip..not sure exactly where a spoiler would fit.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Thanks everyone for your input. Funny enough I had considered ear protectors for the dog.. made me smile..I'll get a picture from inside of the offending roof light and post it later. Had looked at the spoiler option, but wasn't sure as the van roof profile already has a raised area at the front and the roof light is then in a dip..not sure exactly where a spoiler would fit.
Here is the spoiler arrangement on ours:
IMG_0574.JPG

OP
OP
Sarahbrightvan
Jun 15, 2016
West Cumbria
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Symbol
Exp
I'm a newbie
Here is the spoiler arrangement on ours:
View attachment 115790
Thanks for the pic. It looks like you have a completely flat roof profile on yours. Can't get up to take pic of ours without a ladder, but ours is as I said in a dip. Hooe you didn't climb up there especially for me..

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Thanks for the pic. It looks like you have a completely flat roof profile on yours. Can't get up to take pic of ours without a ladder, but ours is as I said in a dip. Hooe you didn't climb up there especially for me..
No, it's an old photo that I had lying around. The van has overhead bulge just in front of that area.

OP
OP
Sarahbrightvan
Jun 15, 2016
West Cumbria
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Symbol
Exp
I'm a newbie
No, it's an old photo that I had lying around. The van has overhead bulge just in front of that area.
OK. .thanks. Bernie has gad a look, but there is only a VERY small gap between the bulge and the roof light, no space to fit one of these. Guess the bulge should deflect the wind already.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
We travel with our two open. No whistle and great airflow through.. I understand not all can be left open while travelling though.. Ours are fiamma

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We had a roughly 300mm square one - not sure of maker but there were seals available.

We fitted them to out Autotrail and it shut them up. (y)

Alas I can't find the company that sold them but will have a search and post when I do - Sorry - I know not much help :(

Found it :)

http://www.leisurespares.co.uk/stock/Seitz/heki-rooflights/

Item 25 on page 5 is a seal that is not usually fitted by some makers.

We had the mini Heki and the correct seal was a bit of a faff to fit but worked.

If they do a parts list for your roof light it should be identifiable.

OP
OP
Sarahbrightvan
Jun 15, 2016
West Cumbria
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Symbol
Exp
I'm a newbie

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun