Noisy neighbours !! (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
My interpretation of a Gin Palace is an RV. They are definitely too big for camp sites partying all night or not. Should they be barred. :Cool:

IMO , a Gin place can be any size.. it's the owners who use them that make them what they are; as far as banning RVs goes, many sites have a length restriction, just as some ban children, pets, single sex groups etc etc

I have camped in one form of another all my life and the one thing that hasn't changed is human nature, there has always has been and always will be those who do what they want and care not a jot about others..

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Gin Palace, I always thought that was the name given to the big white millionaires fibre glass boats on the Thames, shows how much I know :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

barbt

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
KENT
Funster No
Exp
two
Try this - believe me it works!

Wait till they settle down and then take a loaf or two of sliced bread and spread it all over and around their tent - and then watch!

As soon as it gets light the birds wake up - the noise that the seagulls and other birds make when they spot the bread is amazing!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

mikel

Free Member
Mar 24, 2008
Funster No
As you get older you tend to lose the high frequencies in your hearing range. Not much of an issue really..

Now assuming the noise is coming from a bunch of young punters, or at least younger than you, subject them to a high pitch frequency attack. They have not yet lost the ability to hear higher frequencies. Such units are available online. The sound won't bother you but it will bother your inconsiderate neighbours quite a bit.

They will hear a very high pitched penetrating sound. After a while their heads will explode or indeed they will move on before that happens.

Revenge is sweet they say.

T

TomTee

Deleted User
As you get older you tend to lose the high frequencies in your hearing range. Not much of an issue really..

Now assuming the noise is coming from a bunch of young punters, or at least younger than you, subject them to a high pitch frequency attack. They have not yet lost the ability to hear higher frequencies. Such units are available online. The sound won't bother you but it will bother your inconsiderate neighbours quite a bit.

They will hear a very high pitched penetrating sound. After a while their heads will explode or indeed they will move on before that happens.

Revenge is sweet they say.

Seems a bit cruel to those nearby who have young children, safely tucked in bed and annoying no one! I wish that I was like Jean-Claude Van Damme, then I could just go and kick the sh1t out of them! :ROFLMAO:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Why do so many advocate getting there own back?

The OP asked if he was right to ignore, personally I advocate going over politely and just asking politely and normally with a sense of humour if they would mind keeping it down a touch. It's about how you say it and what you say that will determined the reaction.

In all honesty you can sometimes forget and realise just how noisy you are becoming when having a good time, as well as how far noise travels. I think tolerance is the key but there is a difference in what one's tolerance levels are. I personally hate people being up and chatting, starting there gennies, calling there dogs, starting there cars, shouting at the kids, etc etc etc any time before 11am. However being in the real world I know that people are not going to do that just for me so we tolerate.

Each has there own reasons for going camping,

But OP no, its not a common theme. there are lots of sites that only allow adults only, no tents, single sex groups etc. Some even advocate and advertise themselves as really quiet and relaxing. Why not try some of them and see if they suit you better?
I have only once ever been disturbed or felt uncomfortable and that was at a well known Chavtastic Welsh site, hence we never even bothered unpacking.

T

TomTee

Deleted User
Why do so many advocate getting there own back?

We don't really, it just a harmless bit of fantasy! Who doesn't dream occasionally of being able to do a Steven Seagal on the occasional bunch of yobs! I too would ask them politely, I certainly wouldn't just lie there and suffer, but let us dream!:Smile:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
[FONT=&quot]Originally Posted by TomTee[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The trouble is it's not much fun if you have children who can't get to sleep and it's not much fun if you have an early start the next morning followed by a long drive in a strange country.
Camping is fun but it isn't fun for others who may be desperate to get a good night's sleep but can't because of inconsiderate pests.[/FONT]

Returned home yesterday from a lovely villa holiday at Calla d’or Majorca a very sedate part of the island. You think that camp sites are noisy.:Cool::clap:
It is a fact, some people are less aware of being noisy than others. What gives one person the right to silence when another feels a need to make noise. I did shift work for many years your day was my night. Should I have complained that I had to start work at 7pm and I needed sleep? Keep your children quiet stop your dogs barking don’t drive past my house I’m asleep don’t put letters through my door don’t dig the road up I need my sleep I have to do a nights work. Please..................:Wacko:

T

TomTee

Deleted User
[FONT=&quot]Originally Posted by TomTee[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The trouble is it's not much fun if you have children who can't get to sleep and it's not much fun if you have an early start the next morning followed by a long drive in a strange country.
Camping is fun but it isn't fun for others who may be desperate to get a good night's sleep but can't because of inconsiderate pests.[/FONT]

Returned home yesterday from a lovely villa holiday at Calla d’or Majorca a very sedate part of the island. You think that camp sites are noisy.:Cool::clap:
It is a fact, some people are less aware of being noisy than others. What gives one person the right to silence when another feels a need to make noise. I did shift work for many years your day was my night. Should I have complained that I had to start work at 7pm and I needed sleep? Keep your children quiet stop your dogs barking don’t drive past my house I’m asleep don’t put letters through my door don’t dig the road up I need my sleep I have to do a nights work. Please..................:Wacko:

You're right of course and I'm sorry some of us are so inconsiderate as to expect that people on a campsite should respect the right of others to have a bit of peace and quiet from a reasonable hour.

Of course people should be allowed to make as much noise as they like right through the night if necessary. Why should we have the right to ask them to conform to our standards?

Obviously everybody should be able to do what they want regardless of their impact on others and I feel really guilty now for being so selfish as to want to stop others from behaving in any manner that they choose. Shame on us all!

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
It's a tricky one this, what is reasonable?

As a rule one expects a camp site to be quiet, doesn't always work as per the OP, one of those things for all the quiet we enjoy I suppose it's only natural that now and again any of us are going to get disturbed.

I say this after having had our selfish neighbours wreck our Saturday night here at home, 7:30 pm (ish) nice and peacefull, our radio on in the conservatory, loud enough to hear (just) but quiet enough not to disturb the whole neighborhood. Next door (couple mid-late twenties with two small kids) plus kids and friends bundle out onto thier decking, rubbish loud music, incesant LOUD giggling etc, balls repeatidly kicked against our fence and over it (along with cutlery and other UFOs) no thought to those, like us, chilling quietly. After half an hour we gave up and went in doors as I couldn't here myself think, not least of which SWMBOed getting seriusly wound up and cranking up our radio:Doh: I got her point but it did seem futile, we could have easliy won the mines louder than yours but what does it gain?
It's not the first time we've been driven in doors by them and chances are it wont be the last. We have had enough confrontations now that there is a sort of uneasy peace, and lifes to short. We plan on moving soon so sod 'em!

In thier defence, they'd been quiet all the rest of the week while we've been enjoying our garden, but then again they also carried on until after 2am, SWMBO couldn't sleep for it, so was still seething, and ploting the following morning.

At the end of the day each to thier own and tolerance are the key but we should all have a reasonable line, which unfortunatly some can't grasp.

At least the joy of a MH, if you don't like, key in ignition and off somewhere else, it's not right but it's easier, and who knows, not through noise just didn't like the site, we were on the C&CC Oban site and didn't like so drove off, found an indy just south of Oban that was soooooo much nicer, views were just wonderfull:thumb:

Peter James

Free Member
Dec 5, 2009
Funster No
Talking and laughter is not barred in my van but insulation tends to keep that inside. Tents don’t have the benefit of insulation..

Lightweight material can be good for heat insulation, but its virtually useless at sound insulation. The sound insulation of a wall depends on its weight. Unless you have lined your van with brick walls I think you would be surprised how much noise is transmitted outside.

White Rose

Free Member
Oct 14, 2009
West Yorks
Funster No

Wait till they settle down and then take a loaf or two of sliced bread and spread it all over and around their tent - and then watch!

As soon as it gets light the birds wake up - the noise that the seagulls and other birds make when they spot the bread is amazing!!

This has just really amused me ::bigsmile: I can't ever imagine having the required be-botheredness to do it, but I love the simplicity of it.

Yep, and if I'm in the next tent/MH, it'll annoy the living daylights out of my three year old even more, and if you think that the sound of young people having fun can keep you awake, it's nothing to the sound she can generate when there's something p155ing her off!

I don't think there's any harm in just going over and politely saying it's 2am, please could you keep the noise down. I think many people just get carried away with being on holiday and lose track of time, they feel bad when it's pointed out to them that they're inconveniencing people. The problem is that we often tend to leave saying something until we're steaming angry then it can come out aggressive rather than polite!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I don't think there's any harm in just going over and politely saying it's 2am, please could you keep the noise down.

There is no harm , but have you ever tried to reason with a crowd who have had a few ( too many ) sherbets ?

no thank you, better a sleepless night than a black eye

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
:welcome: to MHF by the way....

First of all...........WHATS THE SIZE OF YOUR MOTORHOME GOT TO DO WITH THE SUBJECT Buttons!!!!!?
Green eyes cos you got a puddle jumper??

I fulltime on sites and being a contractor I get around abit, I have only been woken up twice in 20 years by noise polution (being deaf for the last 10 years of that has helped ::bigsmile:)

First time was in Portugal when a stupid german guy thought it was a good idea to go out leaving his 2 big dogs tied up outside all night........They did nothing but bark for hours (which is has got to be the most annoying noise in the world...............I think dogs should be debarked at birth unless they are for the police, it's not like they need a bark...............but that's another subject for another time)

I had a quiet word with him but he just shrugged his shoulders and went out, when he came back in the early hours of the morning he had a note on his tent from the police saying that some kind english guy had found them roaming on the road outside the campish and brought them to the station (wonder who that could be) and it was going to cost him equiv to £70 each for their board before he could get them back, low and behold it happened again the night after................he moved somewhere else the next day :winky:

Second one was some french students in france pitched next to me, they was in their 20's but they shouted, played music and giggled until 3am, well, some nasty person sprayed their tents with WD40 and if by magic it rained that morning and they had to pack up and go home as their tents turned into teabags :winky:

Dont get mad, get even ::bigsmile:

Boo

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
:welcome: to MHF by the way....

First of all...........WHATS THE SIZE OF YOUR MOTORHOME GOT TO DO WITH THE SUBJECT Buttons!!!!!?

I fulltime on sites and being a contractor I get around a bit, I have only been woken up twice in 20 years by noise polution (being deaf for the last 10 years of that has helped ::bigsmile:)I had a quiet word with him but he just shrugged his shoulders and went out, when he came back in the early hours of the morning he had a note on his tent from the police saying that some kind english guy had found them roaming on the road outside the campish and brought them to the station (wonder who that could be) and it was going to cost him equiv to £70 each for their board before he could get them back, low and behold it happened again the night after................he moved somewhere else the next day :winky:Second one was some french students in france pitched next to me, they was in their 20's but they shouted, played music and giggled until 3am, well, some nasty person sprayed their tents with WD40 and if by magic it rained that morning and they had to pack up and go home as their tents turned into teabags :winky:
Dont get mad, get even ::bigsmile:Boo

I like the bread outside the tent idea but mindless vandalism should be discouraged from camp sites. How would you feel if you found graffiti or a scratch along the side of your Gin Palace, not too happy I would guess? :Angry:

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Reasonable?

Well Swiftcruiser,
you certainly stirred a hornets nest. IMO there is some good advice and some questionable advice here. It boils down for me to integrity and common sense. I had to chuckle quietly about the bread for the dawn chorus, as we once had a dog worm its way into an awning for some strong cheese in a container in an insecure coolbox, so I am sure the bread would work - but birds tend to have rather indiscriminate habits of where they drop and perch, and i would not want to be too close to them, especially seagulls anywhere near Sellafield :ROFLMAO:.
More seriously, the advice that you can never be certain about reactions from people these days is all too true, as its not just alcohol they may have taken. People who have taken other substances 'socially' can react completely out of character when challenged. However you can be prepared to back up others who may have similar complaints, witnesses/supporters are hard to find.
Causing damage yourself is not something I could agree with either.
On a different nuisance tack we complained with our feet on one site where irresponsible kite flying busted a seal on our caravan, and did not go back to the site where we had been regulars for many years until the owner rang the following year to say they were sorry we had not been as usual and they had rules about kite flying in camping fields now.
You have to be selective about all things in life these days, and many do not realise just how selective they are in the way they do things to avoid being a victim of many things. Some things no matter how selective you are still result in an unwelcome outcome.
I think this one you have to put down to a learning experience, I am told it never ends.

T

TomTee

Deleted User
I like the bread outside the tent idea but mindless vandalism should be discouraged from camp sites. How would you feel if you found graffiti or a scratch along the side of your Gin Palace, not too happy I would guess? :Angry:

There's that Gin Palace dig again. I'm beginning to think that Boo is right when he accuses you of being jealous because you have a 'puddle jumper'.

'Puddle jumper', what a wonderful expression! Never heard it before!

I would think that people in large motor homes are the ones least likely to give trouble as they are usually of the older, more well-mannered generation.

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years

I wouldn't find a long scratch down it as you do your deed undercover of night, would you rather I took a bassball bat to them or poisoned his dogs?

I am fed up of this mambypamby political correct crap.................you bother me, I bother you.
If these people are that thick that they don't know that shouting and screaming in a tent at 3am wont bother everyone else or that making their dog bark because they think it's TALKING!! (it may surprise those small minded people that we dont think your pooch's constant yapping is cute)......... then they deserve what they get.

I am so glad I am deaf when I see a young couple coming onto the site with a baby lmao! :ROFLMAO:

Rant over :thumb:

Boo

P.S Buttons............is you microbus long enough for someone to write more than WA on with a fine tip? :Blush: ........ hehe ::bigsmile:

mickandalva

Free Member
Nov 12, 2009
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Arca
Exp
Noise at night

I just wait until about 7 o'clock then start shouting the dog(not got one) or pip your horn that wakes em up.

LillyBeth

Free Member
Jun 28, 2010
Herefordshire
Funster No
"people are people, challenge them in the correct manner and they will respond in the correct manner, go in all guns blazing because the red mist is taken over and your in trouble". Haganap

Hi

Firstly i would have a quiet word with them as has been said probably not campers so maybe dont know the impact their having on other i would not argue with them i would just be polite if it didnt work id go and wake up the warden and let him deal with it.
…So not all loud people are violent nutters just some are :ROFLMAO:and a quiet but firm word works wonders.

Gerry

…I don't think there's any harm in just going over and politely saying it's 2am, please could you keep the noise down. I think many people just get carried away with being on holiday and lose track of time, they feel bad when it's pointed out to them that they're inconveniencing people. The problem is that we often tend to leave saying something until we're steaming angry then it can come out aggressive rather than polite!

Agreed. Although there are a few nutters out there I think the majority of nuisance types are just a bit ignorant and don't realise how much noise they're making and how it travels, and a polite quiet word asking them to keep the volume down a bit works in that case. Be polite to them and they’re more likely to be polite to you. Storm up to them screaming and expect abuse back (or they’ll be so scared of the “nutter” screaming at them they’ll shut up):roflmto:

Griffs

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
SOUTH WALES
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2007
We have just come back from a nice weekend, great people either side until one couple left Sat morning and another couple came with son etc grandchildren and although they were a :nice couple the talking and kids playing with balls spoilt a Saturday evening ,but it did stop at ten pm by this time i am pissed and gone to bed.
Sunday was a lovely day and a nice evening , what we learned was to change our weekends to week days.:winky::winky:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
P.S Buttons............is you microbus long enough for someone to write more than WA on with a fine tip? :Blush: ........ hehe ::bigsmile:

I'm sure that it is Boo but why would anyone want to write my name on the side of my van?

Wayne........

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010

............is you microbus long enough for someone to write more than WA on with a fine tip? :Blush: ........ hehe ::bigsmile:
WHA...!!!

HEY!!! :Angry:
Cough...
DOWN HERE!!! :shout:
How dare you insult my fellow 'compact' motorhome-owner's dimensions! That's size-ist....and if it wasn't for the fact that the wind is blowing in the wrong direction this week I'd track you down in my 'gin thimble' :boxing:

allie sommerville

Free Member
Dec 30, 2009
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
conversion
Exp
The worst place for noisy nights must be Spain! :Sad:
The worst place was at a site in the Pyrenees.
We were allocated a pitch which turned out to be next to a motormouth in a tent, who didn't stop all night.
We unplugged and drove away to the middle of the footie field at about 4am.

Then revved past his tent when he was still slumbering at 9.00am :thumb:

They seem to need loud TVs, Radios, Kids screaming and arguing to have a good night!

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Earplugs............................:thumb:

Like a previous poster, I choose to work nights, and therefore have to sleep during the day.
Which right now is a pain with the warm weather. Living close to a road and railway line, I have to balance heat with noise, earplugs allow me to do so satisfactorily.

These Link Removed are the ones I use, and having tried them all, they are the best.

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
1_man_and_his_dob(lo); 'gin thimble' :boxing:[/QUOTE said:
Love it:thumb::ROFLMAO:

Personally, this 'gin palace' tag attached by some to all RVs bugs me, each to thier own at the end of the day. We have an RV, 28 ft A class (says so to the left:ROFLMAO:)
and it's no gin palace, comfortable, yes extremely, but it's what we're into. This MH lark has so many variations to suit whatever type of MHing you want to do. We got into this on a whim 5 years ago via an RV and being vehicle nuts (formally car nuts) fell in love with the RV thing hence sticking with them when we changed, quite apart from the whole HMing game. We are fully aware that a small MH would be more practical in general terms but frankley the comfort of more space suits us far more than the gain to be had by a smaller vehicle. We have yet to find somewhere we can't get, though going up the west side of Coniston last year was, err interesting:Eeek:

The 'rant' inspiration here is that there are some MHers that can't be bothered to open thier minds to others way of doing things, they'd rather just run them down, sorry but where is the FUN in that, banter is one thing but now and again it's just narrow mindedness. We're into RVs (said that already) but I was really pleased to see Timberland's recent post re still trading because frankly, if our mood or need changes they'll still be about and I for one maybe an RVer but I really like the look of Timberlands. (to make a point?)

OP
OP
S

swiftcruiser

Free Member
Apr 27, 2010
Funster No
we all go away for our own reasons those who like to party and those who don t ,so hows having a drink and a good time being a nuisance .if someone likes to go to bed early then go but don t spoil it for the party people:roflmto:
Don't disagree I like to enjoy myself too, but on a camping and caravan site I think one should consider neighbours particulary as a) children were in caravans close by b) this was after 2am in the morning.

OP
OP
S

swiftcruiser

Free Member
Apr 27, 2010
Funster No

Now thats what I call a great suggestion:thumb:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Scran - I've nothing against people having fun, but they should have consideration for others when doing so, especially late at night.

It's not very fair if those who are enjoying themselves drinking and chatting, are doing it loudly so it then stops others from getting to sleep and therefore they are tired and end up like zombies the following day because of it.
:Sad:

Now, if someone purposely puts themselve in a place where they KNOW there is going to be a lot of noise, that's a different matter. We used to belong to a microcar club, national organising rallies for many a year, and always had 2 areas - a quiet one and a noisy one well way form the rest of the campers. It was always well publicised in the rally programme and on the site maps, when arriving people were asked which area they wanted to go in - if you went in the wrong area, that was your fault.

Many years ago in Scotland at a smaller rallies, we were all camped together one Friday night where we had been allocated a field, well away from the main part of the site and everyone else, as the rally organised had informed the site in advance that we liked to have late night 'sit-outs', chatting, drinking and chilling. Unfortunately one couple in Landrover with a tent, who were nothing to do with our rally, decided they would like to camp in 'our' field, there was no reason for this as there were plenty of nice pitches in the main part of the site, but hey-ho, that's what they wanted to do and it was obvious from how we were all pitched, the 'communal' awning, and the microcars that we were having a private 'rally'.

Later, we were having a great old time, not overly noisy, but obviously chatting and laughing, I think it was about 11.30 pm. Anyway, the female of the party comes stomping over in a right mood, having a lot off about not being able to sleep. She was informed, very politely, that it was a private 'rally' and we were supposed to be the only ones in the field (as arranged) and that she shouldn't have been there with us, but we hadn't objected to her pitching there and invited her and her partner (?) to join us. ::bigsmile:

Everyone was being very well behaved but then she made the mistake of trying to intimidate us ... I'll never forget the words she uttered as the mood changed immediately
:Eeek:

We just couldn't help ourselves as she uttered the 'threat' ...... :Angry:

"A landrover winch is an awesome weapon ...".

We all exploded ... literally ... into uncontrollable fits of .......

LAUGHTER!!!!!!
:ROFLMAO:

I don't think it wasn't QUITE the reaction she was hoping for!!!! :roflmto:

If she thought it was a bit noisy before, it was nothing by comparison with the whoops of laughter that were now being emitted by us all, we were all totally helpless, rolling about on the floor (I think that's were they got the idea for this :ROFLMAO: from!!!!)

This state of uncontrollable laughing continued for quite some time and during the rest of the weekend everytime we spotted a Landrover when on our little runs out, the car horns would beep, and we'd all be giggling uncontrollably. If anyone dare mention winch, Landrover or awesome for that weekend we were all helpless. Since then the rally has always been remembered as the 'awsome weapon' rally ... :RollEyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back