Noisy neighbours !!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by swiftcruiser, Jun 27, 2010.

1. swiftcruiser

swiftcruiser Read Only Funster

We are just coming back to motorhoming after many years away, wondered what you folks would have done in this situation. We arrived on site parked up, late afternoon early evening, two couples arrived and put up their tent at a distance that was fine too all, the two couples were I would say in their early thirties. However as the evening sun set the laughing and loud talking continued and continued and continued I would say they appeared to cease their endless chatter and laughter at about 2.30 - 3am on the Saturday morning, by then of course our peace and tranquility had been destroyed. I had considered at about 2am to get up go out and ask them to be quiet, but thought better of it. The next morning as the site appeared full we decided to move on as likewise did the elderly couple in the caravan next to us. I mentioned to this couple who came to us about how their night had been spoilt that I had considered approaching them. Their thoughts were that I was right not to confront them as I just might have found our motorhome being trashed ! As I mentioned earlier these 4 people were not youngsters . This site was not a CC or CC&C club site. We and the other couple did advise the site wardens why we were leaving but apart from offering to speak to the culprits offered us no alternative pitch.
    Because motorhoming camping and caravanning has become so popular and sites are busier is this a situation that we will have to accept. I am sure am not alone in knowing what to do when one is pitched up near others that have no consideration for their neighbours, Look forward to reading others observations

2. MrJinks

MrJinks Read Only Funster

A difficult one without a definative answer. I am boring by most peoples standards and generally like to sleep by midnight as always wake early. I also understand that camping attracts all different types but most sites do ask that you make no noise after 23.00-24.00 hrs. You would like to think that a few polite words would make them think about their neighbours but unfortunately, these days, that is often not the case

Someone braver than me would probably have a little chat with them and show them the error of their ways!! :thumb: I would probably ask to move to another pitch or leave site if they were staying on another night. I am passed the the time in my life when I was happy to live and let live :Doh:

We have found that by staying on CLs and smaller sites we usually avoid these situations, however you should be able to stay on any site without being overly disturbed. I would say from my limited experience that most campers on most sites do comply and respect others peace & quiet.

3. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

I might be wrong on this but I believe that a noisy disturbance after 23:00 is considered to a reportable offence, also I think that it is not the police that handle it but the local council.

Being on private property might be an obstacle to the police attending so all in all its down to you to sort it out.

Doug...

4. TomTee

TomTee Deleted User

I'm afraid that I would have asked them to keep quiet as soon as midnight approached. Anyone with half a brain knows how sound travels at night. Why should anyone be deprived of sleep by such inconsiderate and ill-mannered people?

If anyone wants to be able to talk until the early hours they should wild camp a long way from others.

Some people moan about sites imposing rules and regulations but generally they're there for the benefit of the sensible people.

5. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Mmmm.... Maybe a vuvuzela is not so horrible after all:RollEyes:

I would have made lots of noise in the morning, music, pots and pans, shouting the lot! (have done before) a baseball bat and ball are handy to have in reserve as well......:Angry:

we need to police our own lives, and not put up with this sort of thing

6. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

so no change there ... :Rofl1::Rofl1:

7. Losos

Losos Read Only Funster

If it were me I would have got my generator out around 23:30 and started it up, at midnight I would have shut it down just long enough to remove the silencer and then started it again :Rofl1:

8. hallii

hallii Read Only Funster

This sort of behaviour is becoming almost the norm on some camp sites.

Weekends seem the worst and I think it has to do with the offenders not being "campers" but simply someone who has borrowed or bought a cheap tent and then go off for "a good time" with their mates.They usually have a few beers and then laugh and talk loudly until some ungodly hour. They do not care or even have any idea that they are causing annoyance to anyone else.

If you complain you will get verbal abuse and maybe even violence, it's just not worth it.

Such action as moving away to a quieter spot then returning after they have gone to bed with a darning needle and pair of pliers and puncturing the side walls of their tyres is criminal damage and I do not condone it.

I have seen this sort of criminal damage when camping near a noisy neighbour, but it is difficult to know who would do such a thing.

Hallii

9. ddavewoods

ddavewoods Read Only Funster

Unfortunately there are a lot of inconsiderate people, and as camping / caravanning and Motorhoming is becoming more and more popular more of these inconsiderates who would have previously been pissing it up in ibeefa are descending on campsites of all kinds around the UK.

in fact my wife says I should stay at home.

10. Happy Hippy

Happy Hippy Read Only Funster

I have never had this problem, having always avoided paying camp sites :Smile:

11. scran

scran Read Only Funster

noise

there should always be a noisy corner for people who like to party till the early hours then ther wouldn t be a problem

12. Madmaggott

Madmaggott Read Only Funster

This is, IMO, a good idea but who is going to admit to being one of the nuisances at the point of checking in? :Doh:

13. conham

conham Read Only Funster

Just returned from cheddar and a couple turned up in a motor home and left their jack russell outside and went off and guess want yes ,yap yap yap at every body who walked by..they were informed when they returned.(Sorry):Doh:Unfortunately there are a lot of inconsiderate people around.conham

14. Dalek

Dalek Read Only Funster

The only time we've encountered any noise is when we stayed on the car park at Burnham Sailing Club last year. There was an 18th birthday party taking place at the club so you can imagine it was very very noisy. One young lad turned up in his car with bimbette in tow, out to impress his companion he played the music so loud it was louder than the disco at the party. Now that was the wrong thing to do when I'm around because I went out and gave him what for, Graham cringes when I do things like that but I can handle myself so he wasnt scared for me. The lad apologised, turned off his music and engine and went to the party, leaving his car overnight in the car park. Oh dear when he came next morning it had had its wipers ripped off and not by me I might add.

With the nice weather weekends seem a good idea to these novice campers to get away and enjoy themselves and they havent a care in the world who they upset because they probarbly dont even know they are doing it. We did the same on Friday night but we were on our boat on the Broads, had a few bottles of wine and we got louder but we were enjoying ourselves and nothing else mattered. Its very hard when these situations arise not knowing what to do for the best and sometimes it is best left alone because you dont know how people will react.

15. swiftcruiser

swiftcruiser Read Only Funster

Re Noisy neighbours

My first post, thankyou to all who took the trouble to give me their thoughts on this topic. Now I know why motorhomers have said to me have you been on the motorhomefun website, Goodbye Facebook !!! hello motorhomefun:thumb::thumb:

16. scran

scran Read Only Funster

noise

we all go away for our own reasons those who like to party and those who don t ,so hows having a drink and a good time being a nuisance .if someone likes to go to bed early then go but don t spoil it for the party people:Laughing:

17. Braunston

Braunston Read Only Funster

Hi,

I would have thought the site had rules regarding noise after a certain time, if they do then If I was worried about approaching the people making the noise directly then I would have used what ever facility the site had for security situations and followed it e.g. proberbly a phone number direct to the owners/wardens accommodation and explained the situation,

If I wasn't sleeping I would make sure the people who took my money weren't either, that's what I pay for.

18. lorger

lorger Funster

Hi

Firstly i would have a quiet word with them as has been said probably not campers so maybe dont know the impact their having on other i would not argue with them i would just be polite if it didnt work id go and wake up the warden and let him deal with it.

Hasnt happened to often in campsites but happened in a hotel once 3 young lads coming in at all hours playing music when Sophie was only 3 i politely asked them over balcony to turn music down and to my amazement the lads did it and came and said sorry to Sophie at pool next day. So not all loud people are violent nutters just some are :Rofl1: and a quiet but firm word works wonders.

Gerry

19. MicknPat

MicknPat Funster

The site owner, manager or warden would be my first port of call either by a personal visit or if possible a telephone call.

I would suggest to them that during their 'patrol' of the site :Wink: they came across the noisy campers and speak to them. I would expect them to monitor the situation say every half hour an hour unless there are obvious signs that the noisy campers got the message.:Smile:

If a club site and the warden or manager fails to act then get together with the other effected campers and complain to head office.

If privately owned again together with all effected campers and speak to the owner to get the noisy ones moved or ALL threaten to leave and demand a refund, if refused suggest as a group a Small Claims Action as well as reporting and naming the site on the internet .

Mick

20. JaG

JaG Funster

This is not meant as being funny but..... it wasn't a MotorhomeFun meet was it? Having been on several they always go on until at least 2am. So maybe we need to be careful of how we crtitisize others before we look at our own group :Blush:.
    Having said that we agree there are some very inconsiderate people about. You are right in this day and age not to get out of bed and approach them. Those days have long gone because you will not get supported by others either as violence is the norm now and not reason. Camp site owners are only interested in revenue in the main.