Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
One thing I noticed when I test drove the Hymer was the amount of background noise inside the vehicle. Is this normal?

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
yes it is a euro box

Yes it is a euro box.... some might say they are not very well made:reel: unlike the RV's that are well sound proofed... only thing worse than a euro box is one with VW on the front.. they are mini, mini euro boxes:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bob... actually bored today........:Blush:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Yes it is a euro box.... some might say they are not very well made:reel: unlike the RV's that are well sound proofed... only thing worse than a euro box is one with VW on the front.. they are mini, mini euro boxes:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bob... actually bored today........:Blush:

Yes Winnebagos are sound proofed shame their not rust proofed :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/winnebago-caused-rust-need-names-100738.html#post935377

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
One thing I noticed when I test drove the Hymer was the amount of background noise inside the vehicle. Is this normal?

Most of those noises can be tracked down, and fixed, ours used to have a few internal rattles but we've isolated and fixed them. It runs very quiet now.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Yep !!!

you either get used to it or become proficient at using bubble wrap etc to wrap all the bits and bobs.

worst bits are the grill pan and glass hob lid.

a folded tea-towel under the grill pan wire grid and a little foam or bubble wrap to hold the hob lid slightly up.

bubble wrap or thin foam between all the crockery and a bit of foam in the cutlery draw seems to help.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
The background noise in our van usually is muffled oaths from me when my beer flies out of the fridge when we go round a corner.:Doh:

OP
OP
B

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
Could be cupboards I suppose...

This was more of a constant impression of being inside a drum, although to be fair the vehicle was empty, which would magnify the slightest sound.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Oh I thought you meant the two skeletons havin a "WALK" in a biscuit tin:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
This was more of a constant impression of being inside a drum, although to be fair the vehicle was empty, which would magnify the slightest sound.

I did think that that was what you were referring.
Yes, to a degree, placing things inside the MH will change the sound and get you some rattles.

One thing I would say is that our van is on the new chassis and the difference between this and the old 2005 model is amazing. The old model felt like driving a van, this feels and sounds like a car.

TBH,
you just get used to these things, some will tell you its irrelevent as its about sleeping in it. Me? i think enjoying the journey is also very important. :thumb:

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
I test drove a Hymer, and it rattled like a bag of spanners. When we picked our own up, we tracked down the loose rattly things, and shut them up. The stereo, because its designed for the confines of a car, is crap, so thats next on my list...along with running it off the lesiure batteries.

OP
OP
B

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
I think I may have found the cause...

Re-reading the advert tonight it could have been the remains of the nine previous owners in one of the cupboards ::bigsmile:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Only nine?

Re-reading the advert tonight it could have been the remains of the nine previous owners in one of the cupboards ::bigsmile:

Only nine? That is not a lot.. They seem to change owners like the weather.. Expect it is the rattles that drive the owners round the bend make them chop them in:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bob

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
By the time you have stuffed every locker, cupboard and any other freely available space with stuff you don't need and are 1/2 ton over the limit, you will notice an appreciable difference with the noise level.:ROFLMAO:

Oh and the tyre pressure makes a big difference also, when you tested it probably had the pressure set for a fully laden van.:thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
if it is still to nosiy

If it is still noisy buy a Winnebago (yes Jim they do make all fibre glass versions roof, front, back sides etc.,) so rust is not an issue these days.:reel:

Bob:Blush:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back