Noise when on hookup

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Mattyjwr, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Mattyjwr

Mattyjwr Funster Life Member

When we plug into EHU, we get a humming noise from the leisure battery storage unit - I haven't been able to investigate exactly where from but the storage area has the 110 battery and something like an inverter. Any ideas what could be causing the noise - it is certainly loud enough to be heard when trying to sleep so we unplug at night.

2. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

Could it be your charger that's humming...?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mattyjwr

Could be the charger but is it normal for them to make enough noise to be heard from several meters away?

And it if it the charger, can I turn the charger off at night but still retain 240v supply for the heater & fridge?

4. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

sounds very much like your charger's transformer is beginning to fail. switch it off at night by all means

5. phase3begins

phase3begins Read Only Funster

Our charger normally quiet but does have an internal fan that only comes on when the charger is working hard. Very low battery or too hot. Area blocked with coats, etc.

6. icantremember

icantremember Funster

If indeed this is an inverter then they can make various noises depending on the loading being put on it. They usually have a cooling fan which may be noisy, particularly if badly worn and they sometimes squeel if over loaded.

As others have said it may also be a charger past it's use-by date which you should be able to switch off while still keeping your 240v supply.

7. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

Or it could be a Sterling B2B....unless the batteries are fully charged when you hook up it can start charging and the fans will come on. Having said that it will not do that the whole time but it could be a few hours or so dependant on how much charge your batteries need. Jane

8. keith

keith Funster

Our charger makes a noise, I think it is the fan, especially when the batteries need to be charged after a spell of off grid parking.

As I understand it this is the type of charger that gives an initial boost to get the batteries up then it will go quiet and maintain the full charge. This is all quiet normal and has done it in our van since new (07).

As others have said it may be some form of inverter or transformer. We had an RV that had one fitted to change the voltage from 110 to 230 and that hummed, but not enough to keep us awake.

Maybe needs checking out by a qualified eleltrician.

9. Goforit

Goforit Funster

With the EHU connected and on, just put your ear close to the leisure battery and double check that the noise is not coming from your battery. I had this problem last year and wondered where the noise was coming from. It was a knackered battery which was also giving off hydrogen and triggering the CO alarm. Checked the charger and that was OK. Changed the battery (both - although only one was was making the noise) and problem solved.

10. Yorick

Yorick Funster

You 'um it son and I'll play it :Smile:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  11. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

It probably doesn't know the words.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Mattyjwr

Thanks for the replies. I'll experiment with turning off the charger etc. over the weekend. I'm hoping that I can isolate what every is making the noise so that we can keep the EHU on over night and then flick the switch to charge batteries etc. during the day when the noise is not so noticeable.

It looks like a new charger is cheaper than a new battery.