Noise from brakes on 09 kontiki 649

Discussion in 'Swift Motorhomes' started by jonmid, Sep 1, 2010.

1. jonmid

jonmid Read Only Funster

Hi all I have a Kontiki 649 tag axle van. I was driving on the weekend & suddenly cam a noise from the rear n/s wheels. kind of a whish whish noise as if something was scraping it got quicker with speed as in road speed. I pulled the hand brake up gently then firm a few times and it when away. But it did return slightly about 25miles further down the road...

Any Ideas

thanks

JON

2. Dodgey

Dodgey Funster

Obvious is a good look around, strip the drums off and check the who lot over.

How much use recently?

On an '09 it's quite possibly just a bit of rust buildup in the drum cleaning off, but being brakes it's always best to check it thouroughly.

PS Welcome:thumb:

3. jonmid

jonmid Read Only Funster

I'm going to take a look tonight, I'm assuming it will be a drum setup within the discs?

Cheers

Jon

4. Dodgey

Dodgey Funster

Disks? I truely don't know, I expected with the TAG it would be drums.

It could be a drun inside the 'bell' of the disk or simply a mechanical action on the disk, investigation will answer these questions.

If discs, you could have a simple sticky slider or piston, clean and re grease the former, exsersise the later or simply if the hand brake in a drum game clean them out as they can get rusted up, experience from car system of this type.

5. jonmid

jonmid Read Only Funster

Hi I've pulled it all apart. After spinning both rear n/s wheel I could here the front one making the sort of noise I heard on the weekend (all be it much quieter) so removed caliper & disc to expose the hand brake shoes inside. It's all like new! Well it's what I was hoping for really as its only done about 2k. I cleaned it all out with an air line after inspecting it all & reassembled it. I'll have to give it a run & see...

Jon