No trade-in .. Discount buying from dealer.. ?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by scotjimland, Feb 13, 2015.

1. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Just wondering what % discount you should haggle for when buying a second hand van with no trade in.. ?

For a figure, lets say £30k on the windscreen..

How successful have you been and what did you save or gain by haggling ?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  2. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Hi.
    What you have to be careful of, is if you agree a price and there is NO warranty. The wife does all the haggling,i just stand back watching in admiration..... Go girl go,keep this up and they will give us the item and.............. Money to clear OFF !

• Like Like x 3
  3. scotjimland

indeed.. . no point in haggling away the warranty .. :cry:

Ts & Cs have to be the same.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

In my experience with dealers of anything, if they ask 30 then you are better haggling with a private seller and pay 20. Dealers have overheads, private sellers dont. Dealers get a kicker from the finance company, so prefer you to have something on finance than pay cash. If I was buying anything if it be a wheelbarrow or a motorhome and it was second hand, the last place I would be looking would be at a dealers. Whatever they give in one hand, they take away with the other. There are genuine private sellers out there that for whatever reason wish to sell there vehicles privately. If I was a cash buyer, thats where I would be looking.

• Like Like x 6
  5. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

10-20% start low & work up, offer a too higher price difficult to go down, where as you can always increase an offer. Don't see why it should effect any warranty, bear in mind UK dealers work on very high margins for S/H vans.

• Like Like x 2
  6. UK Pete

UK Pete Read Only Funster

Yes you have to bear in mind a van with 30k price on screen was probably traded in for 20k, most dealers only give a brief conditional warranty on second hand stuff, which half the time they dont honor anyway read some of the posts on hear that crop up weekly, i would personally buy private, i was after a tigano tribute a couple of years back , dealer price for the year i wanted 23k, private price for lower mileage better condition private buy 18k, that gave me 5k to play with
    enough said

• Like Like x 2
  7. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

We knew the people who had our van before we did. They traded up and we paid the dealer £500 more than the trade-in allowance although we didn't have the numbers at the time....... think we did okay. The service guy at the dealer said the salesman (his son) sells the first van and the after sales sells every van afterwards.

Okay we probably could have bought cheaper by going private but didn't see the model we wanted for sale except at two different dealers and the dealer might not be the cheapest but the warranty was honoured and their after sales has been excellent.

• Like Like x 4
  8. DiggerJon

DiggerJon Funster

Bought one van on eBay and traded it in two years later for what I paid for it! It was a good ebay deal!

• Like Like x 1
  9. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

That's what I was thinking as well :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. scotjimland

that is also my thinking..

so on a £30k price.. offer £24 k

dealer falls over laughing.. .. and makes a counter offer of £28k

you say.. meet me half way.. and offer £26k

shake hands ..you have saved £4k which is nearly 14%

ha ha .. that's a great theory :LOL:

• Like Like x 2
  11. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Buy German and save all the BS and a ton of money.....Can be there and back in a day. Or as Snowbird said buy private...,UK dealers the pits!lol

• Like Like x 2
  12. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Remember the dealer has to make a profit or he will soon be out of business.

If we want a dealer network and backup we should be prepared to pay for it.

• Like Like x 3
  13. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

The thing is you should never ever WANT the van so much you cant walk away from it if the offer is not met

• Like Like x 3
  14. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Bit of a sweeping statement there. There are good along with the bad. Experiences can vary even within the same dealership.

• Like Like x 3
  15. scotjimland

Yes, I've looked into that and decided against.., don't want the hassle .. . and besides.. once you import there is no dealer to go back to.. so whether he is good or bad is of no consequence..

UK dealers are not all bad..

Private Buy.. happy with that up to a certain limit .. but .. £30k is a lot of brass to hand over with no warranty or come-back if it all goes tits up..

• Like Like x 2
  16. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Like most things in life your attitude to risk governs your actions.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Sorry. No way, uk fealer mois operate a cartel, what with the prices they charge, treating UK customers like its treasure island, learnt early on buying here for what you gets for mugs.

So what will 30 k buy you here? A 10+ 0ld van? With all the associated problems

And I know all about risk, made a good living in risk assessment for many years.....it's all on the head.

18. UK Pete

UK Pete Read Only Funster

Agreed 30k is a hell of a lot to risk on private sale, i suppose a proper inspection like AA or something and take a couple of motor home savy friends would cut down the risks , you do pay for peace of mind from a dealer and it does suit alot of people to do so, thats what makes us all different, so like your post started off getting the discount from the dealer can be satisfactory compromise
    pete

• Like Like x 3
  19. Moodybrook

Moodybrook Funster

Yep did very similar sums, condition, mileage, etc. and saved about 20% on forecourt ticket prices that I was pushing dealers to get less than 10% off, I was delighted and asked if they were happy and they said yes, more than best dealers offers. So drove away kicking myself should have gone lower :sneaky: but today I am still delighted about the deal. Does everyone fall in love with their first van ? :)

• Like Like x 2
  20. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

basicly every dealer buys private sale vans all the time the markup covers the lemons they buy as well as profit every dealers night mare is a sticker for some reason they all get a van no one seems to want every now and again it gets shunted round the yard for 18months and then stuck back into an auction somewhere

• Like Like x 1