No Spare wheel is this worth a try ? (1 Viewer)

Johno

Free Member
Oct 29, 2008
Kent
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
30+ with caravanning & camping
Hi Folks

Like many MHs my model has no spare wheel only a seal and inflate device in which I don't have a lot of confidence. So I was considering trying Tyron Assist who claim they can get to you anywhere in the UK within 2 hours 24/7 and fit new tyres, the 3 year subscription is only £65 with no extra charges like call out etc, one only pays for the new tyre/s.
This seems like quite a good deal to me even if only for the peace of mind it will give me and I think I'll subscribe. I was wondering if any of you good people out there have experience of this service.

All the best and happy times John.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi John, sounds good but how much will they charge you for a tyre ??????
Got to think carefully as you can call out ATS etc, only charge £20 plus tyre at what they charge at depots
terry

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi,

I understand it is possible to retro-fit a spare wheel carrier, our workshop would lnow more about that though.

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Griffs

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
SOUTH WALES
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2007
spare wheel

This may seem a bit on the slow side but why dont you buy a spare wheel

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi sirhandel..i have used a green slime in my tyres called oko you buy it at farming stoes . it woks fine to stop the tyre going down ,but if you get a large hole it makes it hard to repair tyre. if you get a good blow out you still need a spare w/tyre. i have put it in tyres with lots of slow punctures after crossing desert thorns in maroc and it got me home. i think its best to carry a spare . i carry 2 for trailer n 2 for truck when going abroad as england is much cheaper for tyres than europe n maroc.

sirhandel

Free Member
Nov 28, 2008
Chippenham, Wilts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
This may seem a bit on the slow side but why dont you buy a spare wheel

Space
Payload
Not sure I could physically cope with changing a wheel
leaks due to poor fitting are sealed
punctures sealed in situ without deflation so tyre not ruined

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
believe me not all punctures get sealed that easy . i,ve tried lots of ways best in todays world is tubeless n if you get a puncture in maroc they stick chewing gum like string in the hole if you catch it quick the tyre dont even loose much air. not legel in uk and we wouldnt use it would we ?no after 6,000mls when you get home we always do a permanent repair ,yes sir course sir. not me sir. still leaves the option of further repair or tube insertion. if you are in the assistance clubs i think if you havent got a spare its not liked very much as its easy for them to change your spare.

Decmac

Free Member
May 17, 2008
Funster No
I have the same situation with my motorhome, but I got a spare hub that the dealer I bought from had left around. Apparently some people when they buy a new motorhome they get the works for their brand new van . . . the best of tyres including the top of the range hubs, so I got their leftovers as I insisted that I should have a spare wheel as well as the sealer supplied with new vans. I then had to buy a new tyre to fit to the hub the dealer gave me

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
i can understand cars not having spares (like my smart.. no physical space) but a motorhome, there's going to be space under the chassis for one,

as for not being capable of fitting it, that's what your breakdown cover is for, (and hence why these people offer tyre breakdown for a premium to those who dont have spares as breakdown companies like to moan if you dont have a spare... but if none fitted from new then they have to help you)

but as with this tyron assist, a breakdown firm will supply you with a tyre if they can, but at what cost, deffo no chance to shop around, and not even sure you'd get to choose the make... i certiantly wouldent want an odd tyre on my van, but i understand not everyone is that bothered about mixing tread types.

as for the sealants, the post puncture sealants can be a pain, there's a good chance of the tyre breaking the bead if run flat for any distance on a motorhome... due to them being tall sidewalled and the weight,
but if the tyre stays on the rim, you have to hope the sealant will plug the hole, but then you will be hard pushed to find a tyre place to fix it, they hate tyre gloop.

the stuff you put in the tyres before a puncture seem better, i've used them in motorbike tyres, and they have sealed many small punctures from riding off road (as shown by the little trails of green and black gunk on the inner mudguard, and from the inside when you take a tyre off the rim)

tyre places still dont like it, but the stuff that goes in before a puncture is water soluble, so they just need to wash the area to put in a mushroom patch,

but way i see it, if the gunk cant seal a puncture, i want a new tyre anyway, as that hole would have most likely caused a blow out and a shreaded tyre anyway (and a shreaded wheel arch, bottom of the wardrobe or what ever is above the wheels)
the gunk stuff can prevent a blow out by slowing the leak down, so you just get a flat,

for small punctures, the type that cause slow flats, they are permanantly sealed, so you dont need to worry about them,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back