No spare wheel! and tyre pressures (1 Viewer)

chausson15

Free Member
Jun 17, 2010
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
10 years
This my first Motor-home that has no spare wheel so like other members I need to consider the alternatives, so far I have investigated the Tyron band system and the call out cover they provide but they tell me the call out cover only services the UK and the band system requires you to carry a special tool for fitters to use, they also said that tyre fitters outside the UK may not be familiar with the system. Other forum writers use the slime gel that reseals most punctures but offers no protection for blowouts. It would appear that a spare is the only reliable answer but does anyone know the weight of a spare and have they managed to fit a spare wheel to a Chausson Flash S2? if so I would love to hear from them and about any other suggestions?

Is there a list of average tyre pressures put together by experienced Motorhome users for the average weight carried on a 3.5t Motorhome 2berth Motorhomes or does everyone stick to the door pillar label that gives the pressures for a fully loaded 3.5t vehicle which I find very firm? I have experimented with my tyres and they give a lot more comfort remain cool and look ok after a run at 52psi in the front and 60psi in the rear, to your knowledge is there any reason why I should not do this?

I would appreciate any help members may offer.

Thank you very much

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
My view on the issue

This my first Motor-home that has no spare wheel so like other members I need to consider the alternatives, so far I have investigated the Tyron band system and the call out cover they provide but they tell me the call out cover only services the UK and the band system requires you to carry a special tool for fitters to use, they also said that tyre fitters outside the UK may not be familiar with the system. Other forum writers use the slime gel that reseals most punctures but offers no protection for blowouts. It would appear that a spare is the only reliable answer but does anyone know the weight of a spare and have they managed to fit a spare wheel to a Chausson Flash S2? if so I would love to hear from them and about any other suggestions?

Is there a list of average tyre pressures put together by experienced Motorhome users for the average weight carried on a 3.5t Motorhome 2berth Motorhomes or does everyone stick to the door pillar label that gives the pressures for a fully loaded 3.5t vehicle which I find very firm? I have experimented with my tyres and they give a lot more comfort remain cool and look ok after a run at 52psi in the front and 60psi in the rear, to your knowledge is there any reason why I should not do this?

Thank you very much

I have in my tires the anti puncture ..slim type thing.. Well I have on most of them... Last year I had extenders fitted to my inner rear back wheels... My RV has win rear wheels.

I purchased a three year service advertised in the MMM. .. I lost a tyre due to one of the extenders not being fitted properly by a garage.. Got home and had a flat tire.. Called the number... The promise is call out anywhere in the UK with a replacement tire...within 2 hours.... Pigs might fly...:Blush: Now it is an RV but the tires are the same as you get on a large 4x4 .. Took a whole weekend to get them.. Three visits by Watling Street tires.. They do the truck call out for the organization that represents the company that offers the service.. They also provide gas bottles.... You know the one!:Blush:

Waste of money.. Does not work.. Well it did not for me. I did not get the service I paid for and in fact can get a tire cheaper from several other tire replacement companies.

Yes you do need a spare.. I am lucky on my Winnebago I have a spare wheel which I was able to use while a tire was found. But when the tire was finally changed after being pumped up before being replaced we found the old valve had been punched through into the in side of the tire.. So not impressed with the call out company..Watling Street tires based in the South East of the UK..:Angry: And certainly not the system that promises a 2 hour call out... And did they want to know when it went wrong..not on your life.:Angry:

As fr tire pressures I cannot help as ourtires are 65 psi on the front and 60 psi on the rears... But then Winnebago do have a chassis plate with the tire pressures shown... You also get a copy stitched into the document paperwork holder (mini attaché case).

Bob::Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
slight difference in weight but i ran my kontiki (3850kg gross) at 65 rear and 62 front......seemed ok and not too hard a ride.

if weight is an issue with a spare, you could carry just a replacement tyre...but most of the breakdown clubs state you must have a servicable spare wheel.
bit of sweet-talking to the attending mechanic may see it fitted though.

a lot of the RV'ers do just that.

Enjoy_Yourself

Free Member
Jul 1, 2010
Pontypool, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Agree with you Chausson. The only sure way is to carry a spare. After that comes the jack issue however!

I got a spare wheel with new tyre fitted from http://www.tyresave.co.uk/alloyvan.html

Go right to bottom of page.

Have to get carrier fitted by Fiat now. All told will cost about £300. When I bought the van I didn't even think that it wouldn't be supplied with a spare!

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
As far as tyre pressures go, you really need a £10 trip to a weighbridge to check the individual axle weights, take the details of your tyres off the sidewall and email all the info to the manufacturer - google them for a customer services address. I had recommended pressures back within two days from Continental.

Once you know what they should be you can experiment, usually upwards, to get the best ride. I upped the pressures on the front as I thought they were too low.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Dealing with a ard ride

We found we got over the hard ride as you describe it..by having air ride ..air suspension on the rear of our RV.. This also took out sway and made for a smoother ride all round..recommend it.

I know you can get most European ice cream vans:Blush: fitted with them.. I imported mine from the USA and had my local truck repair company fit them.

One of my main buys this year was a Stanley Bostich air compressor (with air tank) plus a commercial grade air line and gauge..allowes me to check and inflate my tires fast to the correct levels.

Bob:whatthe:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I run mine at 50 in front and 60 rear, also have AIRRIDE fitted as an extra. Don't know if this helps but some people carry a tyre instead of spare wheel, that way no waiting for a tyre to be ordered, and you can stuff it with your small bibs and bobs to aid storage.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
I have weighed mine at 25 Kg, that's on a Peugeot Boxer but remember the carrier is quite a heavy item also. If neither is fitted I would imagine a saving of around 35 Kg all told.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
When I picked my M/H from the dealer I found when driving it home it was very difficult to keep it on the straight and narrow, I checked the tyre pressures and they were 73 front 80 rear. I then checked the Elddis hand book and they were quoted as 60 and 65 (later found sticker inside the door pillar stating 73 and 80), any way reduced to 60 and 65 and noticed a vast improvement. However there was an even better improvement when I loaded the van up for our first real trip, it felt like a different vehicle altogether. :thumb::thumb:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
If you look in the downloads section under "useful tools" there is a tyre fact sheet that should answer your question about pressures. However, as stated earlier, you need to know the actual weights on your axles to get it spot-on. If in doubt, I suggest you use the pressure required to carry the maximum weights allowed on your axles. This is shown on the vehicle plate.

That should show four figures: the largest is the max train weight (vehicle plus trailer if towing); next largest is max loaded vehicle weight (called GVW or MAM), then there should be two weights marked 1 and 2. 1 is the front axle, 2 is the rear axle (3 if you have twin rear axles)

Philip

alcorn54

Free Member
Nov 21, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Spare

Thank you very much
I bought a used fiat spare wheel inner with a new tyre of Ebay £45.00 and put it in the garage cant imagine a flat especially if its in the wall of the tyre ever being repaired by the gunk fiat supply. Also can you imagine the hassle if in the middle of no where and you need AA and there no phone reception or indeed they come but all tyre companies are closed for the evening:Blush::Blush: My suggestion Buy yourself a a Spare !!Alan

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Link Removedfrom Tyresafe.org in our downloads section should put you right::bigsmile:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009

Thank you very much

Hi Chausson15

SNAP - another Chausson Flash S2 owner here!

Fascinating post, and I'm obviously extremely interested to hear everybody's observations. We did know there wasn't a spare wheel when we bought the van, but it is a real concern. Haven't decided what to do about it yet - certainly don't fancy our chances with the can of tyre gunk supplied with the vehicle. Especially if we're offshore on a Scottish island, or travelling across the continent.

We got our Flash S2 at the beginning of October and the tyres were pumped up horrendously hard. During the winter we've been using the MH as a day van, so very little personal kit on board. Took it to the local weighbridge in Bristol and, with my wife and I on board, came up with the following axle weights:

Front: 1,515 kg

Rear: 1,425 kg

Wrote to Continental tyres and this was the reply:

"Thank you for your recent query.

It is unusual to find the rear axle lighter than the front. Nevertheless,
here are the pressures required based on the information you have provided
us.

Front: 3.25 bar - 47psi
Rear: 3bar - 44psi

Regards"

Subsequently, I've been running around with about 48psi all round and the drive has been transformed. Once we start increasing the load in the vehicle I'll increase the pressures accordingly.

The whole tyre-pressure game is a real business and bizarre that neither the cab manufacturers or the converters are prepared to provide proper advice - and it's not just Fiat and Chausson that are guilty. It appears to be endemic amongst all the parties involved, apart from in this case, Continental Tyres.

My previous MH was fitted with Michelin camper tyres, and I couldn't get that company to offer anything less than the maximum 80psi (5.5 bar) for the rear axle, which was ridiculous. They did give a slightly lower figure for the front. When I queried it they said they always advised maximum pressure in the rear tyres 'to be on the safe side'.

As you can probably telll - I've got a bee in my bonnet on the subject. I obviously want to be safe and for the vehicle to be fully roadworthy and legal, but it beggars belief why the key players can't get their act together. Rant over.

Hope you're enjoying the vehicle - we love ours. Think the interior design is very clever - 'quart into a pint pot' comes to mind.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
When I picked my M/H from the dealer I found when driving it home it was very difficult to keep it on the straight and narrow, I checked the tyre pressures and they were 73 front 80 rear. I then checked the Elddis hand book and they were quoted as 60 and 65 (later found sticker inside the door pillar stating 73 and 80), any way reduced to 60 and 65 and noticed a vast improvement. However there was an even better improvement when I loaded the van up for our first real trip, it felt like a different vehicle altogether. :thumb::thumb:

Hi Gooney

See my post above. I suffered just the same problem as you, when I picked the motorhome up from the supplying dealer in Exeter. Travelling home up the M5, the van was all over the place. I was quite concerned. It seemed to be the lorry tracks in the nearside lane that were upsetting the steering - and I was barely doing 60 mph. I thought there must be a serious fault. But, as I've already mentioned - dropping the tyre pressures, thankfully, sorted it all out. Completely happy with the ride now.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back