Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
Still making mistakes! But they're not as costly.
There are always threads about what Satnav to use and other such stuff. I have never had or used a Satnav before. Not had one in any car or anything. :Sad: So we are approaching the first of our 3 month sojournes through France and Spain and I really don't want to use a machine to guide me. Am I wrong? Do I have to embrace modern technology, or can the good lady and her trusty atlas continue to do the job? :thumb:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
I've never had or used a sat nav either, just trusted sat nag and her map books.
I do own a large scale truckers map book that shows low bridges and weight limits, so I am not totally guessing ::bigsmile:

I have to confess that I am considering a sat nav for foreign trips as I will be using roads that are unfamiliar territory. :Blush:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
If you are just wandering then of course you don't need one, if you need to find aires from coordinates then don't see how y can manage without, though there is usually a reasonable description as to directions. roads in France are well signposted and a decent map will do it, however satnag never knows just how far along a road you are or in some cases know which direction along the road you are travelling though it always comes right in the end. A sat nav gives you ample warning of turns and direction of turn, which exit at a roundabout etc even what lane to get into on a multilane highway so really do have their uses. These days they are so cheap why go without, plus they will always point you to the nearest fuel station, parking or eatery and let you know speed limits where there is no signage. Low bridges, toll roads etc. go on you know you want one really.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
I use a sat nav and find it particularly useful for "zeroing" on my target. I.e. use it for the last few miles. The disadvantage of sat nav is that if you follow it slavishly you will miss many little gems you find if you take those detours.
Sat nav, great.
Flexibilty, greater still.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
I do not have a sat-nav either. I have managed up to now, with a good map, and my missus is an excellent map reader.

Clever they are, necessary they aren't.

Craig

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I use one for "time/miles" to destination also tells me of trafic conditions delays.

But I must admit to planing the route I WANT to go befor going and the sat nav frequently has to re route itself to suit my wanderings

so basicly its an aid only

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I use a selection... But then I am someone who manages to get lost in his own house let alone 'out there'

In the 80's I did a lot of long distance dispatch work.. Back then all I did was make a list of the points I had to aim for then, when I got to the town, stop and ask someone

Nowadays,, not too well versed in most languages spoken even here in the UK, I find asking for directions is fraught with all manner of dangers !

On top of that it can be VERY useful finding all sorts of things whilst on the road, such as fuel stops etc etc

Yes, sometimes I curse the darned squawking nagger on the dash, but more often than not I offer up thanks to it !

gradyp

Free Member
Aug 18, 2011
Widnes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Supreme 155
Exp
I think its like mobile phones. Only a couple of years ago i said "I don't need an all singing and dancing mobile" now i have a smart phone and I do all my e-mails and searching etc and I would'nt leave the house without it.

It's the same with a sat nav once you have used one for a while and seen and the benefits it gives you it is hard to live without one

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
We have had one for five years and I'm thinking about getting a new truck version. They are certainly not vital and I tend to work out a general route first. In fact, I would say that I do not rely on the SatNav for long distance guidance, preferring to rely on my own interpretation of the map and sense of direction - which is pretty good. Obviously, the copilot's map reading is both excellent and important, but she doesn't always want to be concentrating on the map.
Where the SatNav really comes into its own is in negotiating routes through cities and in finding Camperstops abroad and CSs in the UK. The CC-Infos and Bord Atlas POI files are an important part of our touring.

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
Being a Lone Ranger most of the time I would be lost:Smile: without my satnav it even talks to me and never answers back.
Steve

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i dont use a sat nav either . dont do dot to dot travel . cant see any point in preset places . airres are easy to find with out sat navs .
need good maps thats all . a compass is handy for the big cities . head in the direction you need .
travelled and driven all over europe .etc never needed one .
mind did have a sad nav ,,she couldnt hold the map right way up.
i was called twatnav by her .ha ha /life is funny so have fun .

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I have yet to read a we dont need a sat nav post from someone who has actually used one for a while that should tell you all you need to know.
If it does not, then I will tell you I borrowed one for a day to find somewhere in a city the next day I walked into Halfords to buy my own not only does it make for a more relaxed journey, but tell you the speed limits and cameras your speed and is set to warn me if I am speeding.
I am willing to bet that anyone who uses one for a while will wonder how they managed without

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
think if you want to go to a specific place in a strange town etc they can be use full.
as a truck driver i have experienced them but not for traveling .
use an airres book .helps the language . or view on google if you really think you need more . but from here to london or to malaga or berlin .all you need is a map.

OP
OP
Spottycatz

Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
I think its like mobile phones. Only a couple of years ago i said "I don't need an all singing and dancing mobile" now i have a smart phone and I do all my e-mails and searching etc and I would'nt leave the house without it.

It's the same with a sat nav once you have used one for a while and seen and the benefits it gives you it is hard to live without one

Strangely enough I've never had a mobile phone either!!!:Eeek:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I use a sat nav and find it particularly useful for "zeroing" on my target. I.e. use it for the last few miles. The disadvantage of sat nav is that if you follow it slavishly you will miss many little gems you find if you take those detours.
Sat nav, great.
Flexibilty, greater still.

On the other hand, they are useful if you want to detour cause they will always get you back if you get lost, that is mostly what I use my navfree on my nexus for

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
A sat nav, like any computer, is only a tool, nothing more and nothing less. Same with different types of mobile phones as mentioned above. Same as with an electric hammer drill as opposed to a Rawlplug tool and a lump hammer.

If you are content with the tools you have then a sat nav is a "want" rather than a "need".

We have a Garmin Nuvi 1300t bought over 3 years ago with lifetime map updates which we use in conjunction with a printed atlas (currently a truckers atlas bought a year ago). I won't buy a "large vehicle" sat nav as I don't believe there is sufficient difference in the base mapping data to enable the software to work to its full capabilities.

OP
OP
Spottycatz

Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
Thanks for all your opinions, which obviously vary from person to person. So here's my thoughts. We've got this all singing all dancing ipad, that we've bought to take away with us. It's got wifi and 3G with vodafone, which means (in theory) that we can use it most days. Is it worth downloading one of the mapping apps that act like a Satnav and use that instead of a dedicated dashboard machine? If yes, what app does the best job in Europe?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I am a very firm believer in that anything in the motorhome must have more than one primary use. the satnav serves its obvious purpose including access to numerous essential points of interest (fuel, sites, shops, historic places) plus it also serves as a bluetooth hands free kit for my phone.

on top of this it identifies the correct lane for motorway junctions and roundabouts. it also reroutes immediately if I choose to deviate off route and follow a local sign, which allows for sight seeing. I can also access google and do a search for say a nearby garage or business.

we still have a paper road atlas, but only refer to it once before setting off to give an idea of travel or to set waypoints to visit en route. also good for avoiding toll routes, but not essential as the satnav asks if you want to use them each time.

I believe it saves time and stress on our journeys and prevents arguments that would of resulted from poor map skills of the navigator or limited road signs. once you have used a good modern satnav you will put one on your need list for essential kit. they are far superior now from original offerings

if you have an ipad or tablet, try using navfree and a secure mount, it works very well and is free, but i find the screen size too large

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Thanks for all your opinions, which obviously vary from person to person. So here's my thoughts. We've got this all singing all dancing ipad, that we've bought to take away with us. It's got wifi and 3G with vodafone, which means (in theory) that we can use it most days. Is it worth downloading one of the mapping apps that act like a Satnav and use that instead of a dedicated dashboard machine? If yes, what app does the best job in Europe?

Scotties use an iPad with good success.. Unsure of the app they use though.. My thoughts are that if there is no one sitting there to hold the thing I am stuffed.. You might say that will never happen,.. When in France last year woman fell off her pushbike and was ambulanced to hossy.. I had to return to the site, pack up as best and fast I could and follow on. If I had had to rely on the iPad I would have had probs ! Yes, you can get a mount for them but blimey, they DO take up some room when mounted !!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Scotties use an iPad with good success.. Unsure of the app they use though.. My thoughts are that if there is no one sitting there to hold the thing I am stuffed.. You might say that will never happen,.. When in France last year woman fell off her pushbike and was ambulanced to hossy.. I had to return to the site, pack up as best and fast I could and follow on. If I had had to rely on the iPad I would have had probs ! Yes, you can get a mount for them but blimey, they DO take up some room when mounted !!

no need for copilot to hold it, buy a mount, either screen or airvent
Link Removed

or
Link Removed

Last edited:
OP
OP
Spottycatz

Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
Thank you all very much. I love this place. :thumb:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Bin the Satnav, keep the Lady.

Satnav can't cook:Sad: cant keep you warm:Sad: cant open bottles and pour:Sad: give you cuddles when you are down:Sad:, make you laugh:Sad: etc :Sad:etc :Sad:etc:Sad:

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
I don't just have one! There is the one for the MH which is kept updated with all the traffic details, lpg stops etc (tomtom not cheap) then I have one for the motorbike very handy when I park up then go of exploring often forgotten where the MH is. Then there is the one on my phone which is always with me great for taking picture's which go straight to the cloud. So I probable make up for those who don't have one.
Steve

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

Had a satnav for years but still like to use a map and always do a rough route on paper

Satnav useful for getting out of big cities and finding sites - in POIs with address and phone number.

I never now look at the screen, just listen to it, leave the satnav on the passenger seat or van floor and only switch it on when I need it

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child

Had a satnav for years but still like to use a map and always do a rough route on paper

Satnav useful for getting out of big cities and finding sites - in POIs with address and phone number.

I never now look at the screen, just listen to it, leave the satnav on the passenger seat or van floor and only switch it on when I need it

now that makes sense .
i dont use sites so just drift around till i find as good place .
i find a compass helps in big cities .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back