No room on roof for solar pannel (1 Viewer)

Lily savage

Free Member
Nov 18, 2014
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
15 years
Iv no room on roof for solar panels so thinking of generator can any one recamend one that will run most things

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Gennys not very popular because of the noise. How come no room on roof?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
As Sue says.. There are now available long thin panels as well as the more normal square and oblong ones.. Lord knows where from mind, but I have seen them a couple of times on vans :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
We have a Hyundai SE1000, which we use for places like the F1 camping. It is very quiet as gennies go, but still puts out 60db. We have found it very reliable, and economical, it even powered our microwave this year when we forgot to take the sausages out of the freezer.
As others have stated, gennies annoy some people, so make sure you use it in a considerate manner, and only when needed.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
We have a Hyundai SE1000, which we use for places like the F1 camping. It is very quiet as gennies go, but still puts out 60db. We have found it very reliable, and economical, it even powered our microwave this year when we forgot to take the sausages out of the freezer.
As others have stated, gennies annoy some people, so make sure you use it in a considerate manner, and only when needed.

In an attempt to stop a further heated debate on gennies I would like to say:-

Thank you.(y) Very nice to see someone with a genny advising considerate use as opposed to some who have said they use them when and wherever they like and if others don't like it they should move. :)

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
Have you thought of a portable Solar panel? I used one quite successfully with my last van, it just depends how much power you need. Mine is a 40 watt one and gives 2 to 2.5 amps on a good day.

oldmanriver

Free Member
May 24, 2013
gillingham kent
Funster No
MH
autotrail comanche
Exp
im a newbie
we have a folding solar panel and a generator, solar panel is excellent and charged all batteries when battery charger broke down, still havnt used generator in a year

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
As Yorick says,"Under the van",try E-Bay...Australia LOL
Tea Bag

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I'm not convinced you are genuine to be completely honest.
You have started three threads now and not been back to any of them.
Your profile states you have FIFTEEN years experience.
Is this a wind up?

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Lily savage

Free Member
Nov 18, 2014
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
15 years
I'm not convinced you are genuine to be completely honest.
You have started three threads now and not been back to any of them.
Your profile states you have FIFTEEN years experience.
Is this a wind up?
Iv always been on sites now doing wild camping so no it s not a wind up .plus am only a lady that knows nothing about sloar panneles or Gennys

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Iv always been on sites now doing wild camping so no it s not a wind up .plus am only a lady that knows nothing about sloar panneles or Gennys
Don't worry Lils, spend your tenner here and you won't be limited by the number of posts you can make.

You question about solar panels was very relevant to me as my MH has very little space free so how to squeeze in, in my case a second panel is an intriguing problem.

Sep 28, 2010
Castletownbere West Cork
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
11 years
I had a large genny worked well. Very silent until I used the microwave So decided to change it to a Honda EU10 which I only used for charging and watching telly. Have now changed to an Efoy arm and leg to buy but silent in use still only to charge batteries. I also have solar panels. I never had anyone complain when I used the Petrol gennys just use them wisely. Some people are just genny haters.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
One question to ask before you buy is "Do I really need a solar panel?"

If you almost always have EHU or travel every day then you probably don't need it.
If you wild or do not use EHU and stay put for a few days then it will be worth it's weight in gold when there is enough light for it to work.

Not saying one way of travelling is superior to the other, just a general observation as there seems to be an assumption that solar is a must have when it may not be.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hmmmmm.. The vernacular is painfully similar !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its not possible, according to Lilly "she" was on a hen weekend in Benidorm last week. Now we all know Yosser is a man, so how could it be.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back