voyager14

Free Member
Aug 7, 2016
Kidderminster
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde
Exp
I'm a newbie, did have a Caravan about 8 years ago.
Hi there, Parked my MH up last year in October, covered it up and left it over Winter.
Everything was fine when I put it into hibernation.
I uncovered it recently to find Battery flat, completely, must have been something draining it.
After two days of charging I managed to get it to charge back up, it is fine now and fully charged and holding charge.
My problem is, I took the MH for a run today, just to blow cobwebs out and was surprised by the lack of power from the engine, I can normally buzz along at 50mph quite easily, it was a struggle to get the thing to do 40, with foot hard on the floor, would not entertain 5th gear at all. I took it for about 3 miles and though I had better turn for home before it cut out on me, a little better on the way back 45, but no 5th gear. It was fully serviced last year in August by a reputable Auto service depot (whom I use for all my vehicles) so I trust him. My mate says take it for a longer run and it will get better, I think there is something wrong, It will rev out fully when it is stood, but only about 2000 revs under load.
It's a Peugeot Boxer with a 1900 diesel engine 2002, non turbo.
Has anyone had a similar problem.

Mar 31, 2015
WORCESTER
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 660 merc
Exp
SINCE 2012
My brother bought a T4 2.4 non turbo couch built on way home from purchase it black smoked would only do 40. After a fresh tank of fuel and injector cleaner. Totally change.
Andy

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
on a modern vehicle if the battery is disconnected and then reconnected its not unusual to feel the engine is not running correctly... I'm sure it says that in my handbook as well.. but not sure whether thats a trait on a 2002 engine set up..
could it be a fuel issue with the vehicle been stood so long, bacteria in tank and filter...
unless you get a more sensible answer i would be looking at renewing the fuel and the filter..
andy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Could your brakes be binding, did you park it up with the hand brake on, if so it could have seized on.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Go for a run and then feel the wheels, if there hotyou may have sticking brakes as @daveandsan said but because it's been laid up for so long it's probably fuel, fill it up with fresh fuel and a cleaner/additive won't hurt redex or similar ....
I like @TheBig1 's idea though...;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Battery.......self discharged to destruction after 6 months of inactivity.
It may appear to hold a charge but believe me, it isn't and once subject to a constant load will be flat in a fraction of the usual time.
Struggling engine....brakes seized on due to inactivity for 6 months....in particular, the handbrake (if left on when stored and
probably need a full brake overhaul)
Feel the wheels for excessive heat after a short run.

I fitted New pads to my front wheels and it struggled to pull at all due to the pistols seizing as they were pushed back to allow the new pads to fit.
After a one mile run I had to stop and the discs/pads where smoking badly enough to be visible billowing out from under the wings from INSIDE the car.
With 218bhp I had enough power to overcome most of the friction...but not all of it.
Had to bin the new pads, completely burnt out, and replace the pistols, seals and discs plus another set of pads.

Last edited:
OP
OP
voyager14

voyager14

Free Member
Aug 7, 2016
Kidderminster
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde
Exp
on a modern vehicle if the battery is disconnected and then reconnected its not unusual to feel the engine is not running correctly... I'm sure it says that in my handbook as well.. but not sure whether thats a trait on a 2002 engine set up..
could it be a fuel issue with the vehicle been stood so long, bacteria in tank and filter...
unless you get a more sensible answer i would be looking at renewing the fuel and the filter..
andy

That's going to be my first move.

OP
OP
voyager14

voyager14

Free Member
Aug 7, 2016
Kidderminster
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde
Exp
I am going for Fuel first, change filter. (It was done last August) but we will try that.
Then the ERG valve.
Will check for Rodents nest in tubing also.
Thanks to all who have taken the time to respond.
Will keep you posted.

OP
OP
voyager14

voyager14

Free Member
Aug 7, 2016
Kidderminster
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde
Exp
Update. The man who looks after my vehicles gave me this update last night. Fuel filter changed, (was clean) EGR Valve checked, Ok.
Check no blockage in exhaust. (This is the bit where I am going to feel a little embarrassed because I didn't think there was a Turbo on it) Whilst checking the exhaust system he noticed that there is a Turbo on in, so he checked the pressure on that and there was none. Now he knows what the problem is he is going to proceed with it today. will keep you posted.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back