No picture on Avtex in France

Discussion in 'TV & Satellite' started by Pikeman, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Pikeman

Pikeman Funster

We are in France, have multi directional aerial that has always worked well. But on this trip we are getting sound but no picture and error message 'INVALID FORMAT' Anyone got a reason and solution?

Cheers,
    Keith :cool:

2. Satandpcguy

Satandpcguy Funster

"Invalid format" error messages on a TV usually means you are trying to watch a HD stream on an SD TV, or an MPEG4 HD feed on a MPEG2 HDTV.
    In other words you are trying to watch an image format that your TV does not support.
    Probably to do with the fact that France moved to HD only earlier this year.
    I take it you have tried a rescan of the French tv frequencies....
    If still no image, then I would assume either a new TV or a TNT set top box.

• Like Like x 1
  3. laser101uk

laser101uk Funster

4. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Is that HD on all channels, or are there still SD equivalent channels? We were getting TV OK when we were in France in April and our Avtex only has an SD tuner.

If that is the case does anybody know where we can get a 12V HD tuner?

5. ericroy

ericroy Funster

See if the Humax HB1000S suits you. This is both HD and runs direct off 12v. Not so good news is that mine came without a 12V lead and I had to make one up.

It works well in UK but I am not sufficiently knowledgable to confirm that it would also work in France. But I bet someone who is will be along shortly.... ;)

6. denisejoe

denisejoe Funster Life Member

When you do a set up are you putting France in as the country

Joe

7. denisejoe

denisejoe Funster Life Member

Never had a problem with an avtex in France

8. webby1

webby1 Funster

Crossed over from Spain last week and looking forward to the Tennis from Roland Garros and of course the football tonight..........................but no signal.

Discovered all French TV changed to HD in April and despite having a HDMI input and HD screen our TV will not pick up HD signals.

Luckily we had the August DVB400 referred to above and it will pick up HD TV in France and UK, as well as allowing the USB recording and pause function.Great bit of kit for the price

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. laser101uk

laser101uk Funster

Yep, all French terrestrial channels are now HD. There are no SD equivalent channels.

I use a 150 watt inverter which doesn't hammer the battery when using the HD box.

10. Pikeman

Pikeman Funster

OK, I get it now. If I go for a TNT set top box, I will need to run it off 12V, as we tend to stay away from EHU. This could be a problem to power the TV and the STB at the same time, we have sockets at opposite sides of the van. Unless you know otherwise - can you split a 12V oulet?

If I decide to bite the bullet and up-date the ageing TV, is this one fully compatible for UK, France, Spain etc?

Thanks for your help everyone.

Keith :cool:

11. Pikeman

Pikeman Funster

Sorry trying to post the link to Amazon.

12. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Interesting. I too have decided to update in order to get TV in France. I have ordered this one, which has an HD T2 receiver so should work.

13. Pikeman

Pikeman Funster

Hi Peter,

Does this one require a SAT dish when abroad? Reading the notes on it, would appear so!!

14. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

It has both HD Freeview and Freesat tuners. So it can be used either with an aerial or a satellite dish. Of course if you use an aerial you will only be able to pick up the local TV services, as you will be well out of range for any UK based transmitter.

Details of it can be found here.

Further edit - I use a directional Status aerial and do not know if an omnidirectional one would give you good results

15. Bart

Bart Funster

I have just started to look for a 12V TV for our Motorhome when i came across this thread , and im glad i did.
    Now i am super confused about the likes of France who only transmit their TV chanels in HD , now when they say HD is that 1080 across or 780 across ( FULL HD or HD Ready ) ??
    Does anyone know in if you can pick up the HD channels that they transmt on a "HD Ready" TV which has a screen resolution of 768 across
    Or does it have to be a "FULL HD TV" with a screen resolution of 1080 across.

Would hate to buy a HD ready TV to find out that i would have to buy another box of something to get it to work in france , as that would use even more power, best to do it right 1st time.

16. Satandpcguy

Satandpcguy Funster

"HD Ready" means the TV is a HD display only, and does not have a HD Tuner built in... so you will need a separate HD set top box for it. And is usually a resolution of 720.

FULL HD means that it has a resolution of 1080.

17. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

You need TV that has a T2 tuner to pick up HD channels. Cello have a couple in their Traveller range that do.

18. Bart

Bart Funster

Ok thanks so its not about the screen ress then , its about it having a T2 Tuner , E.G

Terrestrial & Satellite Tuners for all Free to air HD channels (DVB-T/T2 DVB-S2)

19. Bart

Bart Funster

20. peterc10

peterc10 Funster