Apr 23, 2016
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Soon too buy
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hiya

Im hoping some of you guys could offer some advice we have been looking at the rimmors and Ci's and have noticed that they don't have ovens or they have very small grills.

Im wondering how any one who has a van without an oven cope or get on?

thanks in advance

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
http://www.outdoorworlddirect.co.uk...n=googlebase&gclid=CIGgqNiF184CFUwW0wodUHQNSQ

Just a thought has anybody tried this. Just wondered as we are thinking of a van that won't have an oven unless we order and wait a long time for the preferred option swmbo says we need it. At the moment we have micro and oven and use both. Only for reheating pre cooked meals. Think this may be the option when we are off grid

Funnily enough I was looking at those yesterday. We have a grill but no oven.

I do have an omnia stove top oven but it's not the same as a proper oven and in all honesty it's diameter is a bit bigger than comfortably fits on the hob.

The problem for us is space - the kampa oven would just fit in the space where the bottom drawer is (obviously it would get taken out to cook in), but then I already have a built in grill, so dedicating a lot of space to a separate oven and grill. And in a 6m PVC space is at a premium.

I do miss having an oven though not sure whether this is merely a 'perceived' loss rather than an actual one. We only go away for 2 weeks max - I think if it was any longer then we would definitely look at somehow getting an oven in.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Seajay

Banned
Nov 2, 2014
Funster No
MH
C L Meridien
Exp
since 2000
If you can find a Beauclaire oven I can thoroughly recommend it......It can sit on top of a gas oven hob and do the job of most caravan type ovens without the need to permanently fit one.....When not in use it can come apart and hideaway in a locker or cupboard.....Mine cost £50 some years ago and I tell you it's brilliant......Don't know if they are still available but eBay may be an option.

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Our first van a Chausson had a grill which was useless. Changed it to a microwave at quite a cost :(. Then sold the van and our new van has a small oven/grill which seems to do the job. We are not big meat eaters so no roasts for us. Prefer outside cooking on picnic stoves. We have also got rid of the electric kettle and toaster. Use a whistle kettle (quicker) and a camping toaster (also quicker) :)

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Upvote 0

Char

Free Member
Jul 20, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pvc
Exp
20 yrs
Try and Google 'Ovenette' they were made decades ago in USA. I got mine from eBay from there. 40 quid. it's great. I make bread in it, reheat, do ready meals from m and s. very efficient. good luck.

Upvote 0

Graham Baines

Free Member
Feb 29, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Magic
Exp
Hi.
We had same dilemma with our new van having no oven, so as we were going to be loving full time we invested in a CADAC Safari Chef.
We've now been two months on our trip and haven't missed having an oven (or as a microwave ) once.
The only time we used the CADAC was when our son joined us in Belgium and he bbq'd two evening meals. Since thenit's been packed up in the garage.
3 ring burner has been well sufficient.

Upvote 0

adt

Mar 28, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Nuevo
Exp
Since 2016
We have a lovely oven that is brilliant to keep bread and fruit in. I believe you can use it to make things warm but we've not used it in that way. :) We do use the microwave but I'd happily swap the oven for a bigger cupboard.

That's what our microwave is for :LOL:

When I picked up the van and was getting shown the controls, etc - he did introduce the microwave as the "bread bin".

Upvote 0

Scaniaman

Free Member
Jul 10, 2016
bristol
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
I found this place yesterday they sell everything for motorhomes and caravans I've been trying to cassette blinds for my mh I've enquired and they say they've got loads I've also noticed on there website a good range of cookers

THE CARAVAN CENTRE - BLAENAVON
UNIT 3A GILCHRIST
THOMAS IND.EST.
BLAENAVON
TORFAEN
NP4 9RL

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We had 8 years in a camper with no oven, I prepare and cook all our meals from scratch, I found that it is possible to heat things from frozen or fridge cold, under the grill, if you use a metal plate or heatproof container and are VERY careful with a bit of tin foil over the top. Dont use the supplied grill pan rack as it is too close to flame. You have to have good heatproof gloves as well.
I now have an oven but it is worse than useless and under grill still better.

Upvote 0

Hania

Free Member
Jul 31, 2014
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2010
Hiya

Im hoping some of you guys could offer some advice we have been looking at the rimmors and Ci's and have noticed that they don't have ovens or they have very small grills.

Im wondering how any one who has a van without an oven cope or get on?

thanks in advance

I have an oven and never use it!! Very useful for storage though....We have had a motorhome now for 6 years....(van conversion).

Upvote 0
Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
Whats an oven?

A metal box that you put food into and apply heats, the air in the oven gets hot and that warm air heats the food.

My simple oven is to place a large saucepan on my smallest hob ring, set it to the lowest heat setting, place food in the saucepan, fit the lid, open the wine, pour into a glass, sit back and monitor progress.

Some level of experimentation is required, but you can cook many dishes this way.

For 'oven cook' ready meals, carefully split the trays by cutting along the seams with scissors, pierce the top films, put about an inch of boiling water in the saucepan, place the meal trays into the water, replace the saucepan lid, keep a watch on the water, keep the water simmering and top up with hot water as required.

When you're happy that the food is heated through, remove from the heat, carefully drain the hot water, let the containers regain rigidity, peel back films and serve.

Pies, leave in the foil tray, place in the saucepan, low heat, lid on, pour more wine. Check pie temperature with fingertip, when it hurts, it's cooked. :)

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
been around for years . load of junk.
they sort of work but really are crap.
bit like those toast things you buy when you havnt got a grill.
i have tried these things and really do have a collection of camp cooking items here .
at one time a mate and i did consider having a historical camping kitchen display .
have alsorts of cookers etc , be them meths , petrol ,parrafin ,gas, hexamine block . you name it its possibly here .
but you cant beat a proper cooker .

Upvote 0
Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
What about one of these?

We've got one of those from when we were tenters and had a double burner that it sat on nicely. However it is too big for our double hob in the van (n)

Like vwalan says - it sort of works but needed stuff moving about inside all the time to get an even bake.

Upvote 0
Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
i have tried these things and really do have a collection of camp cooking items here .
at one time a mate and i did consider having a historical camping kitchen display .
have alsorts of cookers etc , be them meths , petrol ,parrafin ,gas, hexamine block . you name it its possibly here .
but you cant beat a proper cooker .

This sounds like a corner of my garage - I'll happily donate to your display:)

One camping trip I discovered Mr Stroppy had packed an electric kettle, a regular gas camping kettle, his kelly kettle and some other mug type thing that fitted on it's own burner (jetboil I think). There's several other cooking/boiling type equipment still in the garage.

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i have a kelly kettle , then luckily bought a sirram volcano kettle complete with its water container for a quid .
was at a car boot and got it for a quid if i would show the old owner how it worked .
have stoves from way back in the 50,s . and tents from the 50,s . even have my first pup tent here . .
think i will possibly have to say thank you but i may have enough . ha ha

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Well I am going to stick with my slow cooker :) Yes, it does require electric (but very little) but I can run it off the inverter when we are travelling and there isn't much I can't cook in it :)

Upvote 0
Jun 9, 2016
L'Isle Jourdain, 86150 France
Funster No
MH
C Class I think
Exp
Just bought an Eriba FT 580
No oven by choice after discussing the hell that is cleaning an indoor oven :)

We use a Cobb which works as an oven and / or bbq in all weathers. Using the coconut based cobb bricks makes it v easy. Does a small whole roast chicken in an hour and a bit.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back