No more motorhoming :(

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by ROB1CHELSEA1, Sep 19, 2013.

1. ROB1CHELSEA1

ROB1CHELSEA1 Funster

A real shame but Jim my father inlaw has finally given up motorhoming aged 81:Sad: He bought a 2013 nu venture rio in february and its still showing less than 1,000 miles on the clock. Jim has to load in and out the mobility scooter for his wife but feels he cannot manage it anymore:Sad: Jim asked me to contact the dealer he got it from to see what they would give him, Jim paid just over £40,000 with extras, today the dealer offered him £25,000:cry: Jane and I will now be buying the motorhome from Jim. Woody our little motorhome will be going on ebay in a couple of weeks time.

Jim & his wife have had motorhomes all their life starting out with an old ambulance which they used to pack the 9 kids in to:Rofl1: (our number plate came off that ambulance):thumb: without the 9 kids they visited Europe and even motorhomed in New Zealand:thumb: such a shame their calling it a day:Sad: but seeing him go over roundabouts rather than round them I do understand:RollEyes:

Rob&Jane

• Like Like x 18
  2. jb0371

jb0371 Read Only Funster

that is ripping the piss.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Allanm

Allanm Funster

And they would have sold it on for at least £35,500! A nice little profit for doing nothing.
    Shame he has to give it up, but at least the van will still be in the family.
    Allan

• Like Like x 4
  4. Teepee

Teepee Read Only Funster

A real shame, but if he feels its to much for him it's for the best. Sounds like he's enjoyed all the motorhoming he has done, and knows its the right time to stop. Respect him for that, perhaps he could join you on a trip occasionally to ease the giving up of something he loved. Good luck to him and his wife.

• Like Like x 3
  5. MrMotorhome

MrMotorhome Read Only Funster

He will be really pleased it is going to a good home and to someone he is close to.:thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  6. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

Sorry to read that, Rob...

That`s what I`m dreading.... :Sad:

But at the end of a rainbow and all that... enjoy your new set of wheels... Nice it`s being kept in the family... :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  7. JJ

JJ Funster

Robbers. Thieves. Lowlifes.

Very interested to know the name of the dealer.

Name and Shame.

Something should be done to stop this.

I wonder what our professional dealer Funsters say.

Is that the norm?

£15,000 Loss in 7 months and 1000 miles?

JJ :Cool:

• Like Like x 8
  8. old-mo

JJ.............. If I told you how much I lost on the RV over 10 months and less than 2,000 miles...

You would call me a liar.... :Angry:

I know they have to make a living..... but would they knock 20 or 30 K off the asking price if you asked.... "NO"... :censored:2

• Like Like x 1
  9. grasscutter

grasscutter Funster Life Member

So sorry for them Rob but as others say they can take heart that it will be loved by you and Jane.
    Enjoy :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Silkcut1105

Silkcut1105 Funster Life Member

No more motorhoming

well it was nice to meet them before they decided to retire from camping .but i bet the only reason you bought it from them the bed must be more comfi than yours as youve worn the bloody mattress out in yours with all the sleeping u do .lol say hi to them from stuart and kathy.and tell him the blanket i bought did work lol he knows what i mean ..:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Silkcut1105

Silkcut1105 Funster Life Member

No more motorhoming

and i agree with JJ, name and shame those scoundrels who call themselves dealers.bloody thieves.

• Like Like x 1
  12. old-mo

Regarding,,, Name and Shame.... It`s a non starter... :Blush:

Anybody naming the so called dealers on open forum, would leave yourselves and especially Jim the ring leader open to a "Libel Case"...

I would suggest any body wishing to know who the dealer is... should PM the agreaved ..
    For their views on the why`s and where fours ...

Just my two penneth.. :thumb:

• Like Like x 3
  13. chippy63

chippy63 Funster

I hope you don't bang you head on the roof of this one :Rofl1::Rofl1::RollEyes:

Karl

• Like Like x 1
  14. SWOOD

SWOOD Read Only Funster

No more motorhoming

What a bunch of shysters! Glad he's had a good motorhoming innings.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

I cannot comment on how other people run their business but if it was us and the owner was not in a rush to sell and get cash in the bank, we would have suggested a contract sale at a fee of £3000 plus Vat and at a sensible retail figure of say £34,000.

Peter

• Like Like x 6
  16. old-mo

We need more "Johns_Cross_Motorhomes" .. Throughout the UK... :thumb:

• Like Like x 3
  17. daisy mae

daisy mae Read Only Funster

I know a couple who bought a van at the end of January this year,for £24.000, drove it 14 miles home, later on had a heart attack, recently had another so was selling it, :Sad: it was not quite what I am after ,anyway the dealer fetched it back, I believe he got no where near £18,000, it is now on the dealers web site for £22,995 I would not go to that dealers, I know they have to make a living but fairs fair, have heard bad reports some time ago about this dealer, and no I am not mentioning who it is.

18. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

any new vehicle looses the vat as you drive of the forecourt and depreciation starts there. on the £40k+ van thats £7500 just in the vat of 20%

i agree losing £15k sounds awful greedy but the dealer is looking at making about £5k profit selling it. peter's suggested retail of £34k used is maybe optimistic and they are likely aiming to be negotiated down to £30k

you dont see many poor motorhome dealers, but the bigger the setup the more it costs to run and turn a profit. through the winter they may be lucky to average 1 or 2 sales a month. but theres wages and rent and other overheads to pay. any business needs to make money or its a charity and will quickly fail

just pointing out the other side too this. plus you all want to buy a bargain in a used van. paying nearly new price wouldnt tempt many buyers

• Like Like x 3
  19. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

sorry to hear about your father in law rob but hey every cloud has a silver lining will it fit in your parking space ?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Pat and Trish

Pat and Trish Funster

Hi Rob
    It was nice to meet them (and you two) at Shepton. I imagine it's very difficult to know when to call it a day (just ask John Terry :Smile:) but it's a decision we will all face one day, even driving a car will become a no no eventually. At least they have some great memories and you two can stop worrying about them and carry on the legacy.
    Wish them all the best from FUN
    Pat

• Like Like x 1