No more Merc chassis

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Wizbangs, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Wizbangs

Wizbangs

On the Rapido stand yesterday at Peterborough Paul from Wokingham Motorhomes dropped a bit of a bombshell. There will be no more Merc Rapidos as Mercedes are stopping making the camper chassis. Having had a Fiat automatic and absolutely loathed it, that's a never again decision. So I am absolutely gutted by that news. He hasn't even got any in the pipeline left to sell.

Whilst I am more than happy with my Merc Rapido, it's nice to think about getting an upgrade in the future. Now it's not an option. Paul said most of his sales were Mercs and like myself, his customers are angry and bitterly disappointed.

Edit to add.... Now I don't know what to think. Just heard that Hymer have a new Merc range with auto for 2015. Huh?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  2. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  3. TheDogMan

TheDogMan Funster

It does seem very odd as this chassis would be used in a lot of commercial applications, if true that would just leave Iveco as the only RWD:Sad:

Should say I am a happy Iveco driver

• Like Like x 1
  4. Wizbangs

Wizbangs

We have an 891M. Evidently it's built on a chassis-cowl not a chassis-cab. Could that be it? I'm not a techie on any of this. I'm really confused on this as I'm sure Paul wouldn't have misled me. He was adamant on it and certainly wouldn't want to lose potential customers. Hohum....

5. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Hi Mary

Still enjoying the Rapido I see, we met when you collected it from Wokingham!

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  6. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Difference between Chassis-Cab and Chassis-Cowl shown in the pictures.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Wizbangs

Wizbangs

Hi Peter :)
    Yes, of course I remember you. And yes I love my Rapido and cannot fault all at WH. Shall be down there soon for the hab check. Nevertheless shall be looking at the new Hymers tomorrow just for interest. Something to aspire to in a year or two's time maybe.

Mary xx

8. Wizbangs

Wizbangs

I was at Wokingham Motorhomes yesterday and asked again about the lack of Rapido Mercs. The guy there confirmed what Paul had said and did explain to me, but it's a bit too technical for me. Nevertheless, here goes... there are new EU rules that have to be followed and the Rapido/Merc combination don't meet the required parameters. Evidently other MH manufacturers are facing similar issues. Rapido are working on it, but it is likely to be a year or two, getting things sorted. So, no new ones available, unless you go for a Fiat... spit..spit. Oh another little worry, it also seems that Mercedes have not been honouring their warranty as some dealers have refused to service Merc motorhomes.

9. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

We might see some more Transit A classes then!

Up until now it has just been the Hymer Exsis.

10. Tootles

Tootles Funster

So what's wrong with Fiat chassis?? Most of the ones I have come across, (barring the Al-Ko version), seem fine.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Forester

Forester Funster

Maybe its a snobbery thing?

• Like Like x 3
  12. Tootles

Tootles Funster

The other day, a *FUNSTER* posted pics of a Fiat chassis, which is still being used nearly 30 years after it had been manufactured. (BAZ). That's not bad for any chassis, be it rusty or not.

13. WAG2CRU

WAG2CRU Read Only Funster

What is wrong with Fiat/Al-ko?

14. vwalan

vwalan Funster

i would say one of the worst chassis is the merc sprinters . seen loads broken by corrosion . cant understand how merc dont seem to protect them very well.
    mind have seen many transits the same way as well.

15. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

My last van was a Fiat/Al-Ko conversion and was simply brilliant - 3 litre engine and very stable.

16. Tootles

Tootles Funster

I do know that they can be very easily damaged by attempting to jack up the vehicle using the Al-Ko bit.Saw one a few weeks ago, very twisted.

17. BwB

BwB Funster Life Member

Lots of, ahem, "seasoned" motorhomers seem to put down Fiat/Cit/Pug but I've never had any real trouble with any of them (the motorhome build, on the other hand, is a different matter).

Any of mine have yet to leave me stranded, broken down, stuck on grass or snow (choice of tyres and loading important) or given me a problem getting parts or servicing. There are just so many about they would be littering the road sides if there was anything fundamentally wrong with them. Instead they are whizzing up and down to Spain (etc) each year not giving it a second thought.

Shame Merc is pulling out at this stage, but with the increase number of moho's on the roads these days they are probably just taking time out to build a chassis which will meet modern required spec. Same with all the other brands, chasing to keep up with new regulations all the time.

18. DABurleigh

DABurleigh Funster

Fiat use full production customers as beta-testers. It is part of their business model, an integral part of which is they avoid the cost of recalls (unless mandated by safety authorities) denying all knowledge of a general problem by dividing and ruling their customer base.

With a 2005 Ducato at the end of its production I escaped pretty well, though still got collared by factory paint defects on non-white vans that hit Sevel vans for several years.

At least I did avoid the worst problems of the 2006 series Fiat chassis, such as clutch burning out, juddering, leaking, rusty injectors, etc.

Dave

19. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Fiat drive wheels are in the wrong place!
    If it ain't got dual rear wheel drive, we ain't buying!

• Like Like x 1
  20. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Something like this may interest you.. it was parked up in our neighbours drive for a couple of days.. looked like it was in good nick..and close to you..

Iveco Mobilvetta 180X 740 A Class