LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Well, I may hold the record for briefest ownership of a motorhome.

Anomaly in paperwork was spotted by the lady in the Prefecture when I went to register it. That rang bells, so I had all the paperwork looked at, as well as the vehicle. Nothing was right--the vehicle was probably not the one it purported to be, the paperwork was a right mess, etc. etc etc. The Gendarmes became involved, and the next step was to be the Department of Fraud.
I emailed the company last night , said I was returning the vehicle today, wanted a refund. no-one expected me to get it, I have to say, and today i was there 10 minutes with French speaking friend and was told straight away a cheque was being written. The salesman looked sh** scared, the owner did get a bit verbally abusive with my friend because I wanted to check the cheque (now in bank) but we left.
Not sure what their scam is and how it works (I suspect an older vehicle has taken on the identity of a newer one) but please be careful buying out there. there are sharks around everywhere.
I am now retiring from being a motorhome wannabe--too stressful!

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
awww hollyberry so sorry to hear such tragic news. Lets hope the cheque/check clears and you get your money back.

If you were in the UK I would say come along to the Essex meet, book a static caravan for the weekend and enjoy some FUN with us xxxxx

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
well I never did and you never should, but never mind all sorted now I hope. Don't give up that was a very rare case and luckily you are not I hope out of pocket. Start looking again. Stiff upper lip and all that.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

blamehofman

Free Member
Oct 31, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
Very sorry to hear about your trials and tribulations but please dont let this put you off , its well worth all the hassle in the end .

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
As others have already said, and I second, it is well worth any initial hassle.

We bought ours back in July and my only regret is that we waited so long. It has been a magical time ever since, lovely people, and such a stress reducer (apart from the odd crazy driver).

Upvote 0

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Sorry to hear about your problem, but well done.
Any fraud detection and / or recompense is a good thing.

Upvote 0

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Don't give up

20 years plus and many motorhomes and RV's later still own one.. really worth bashing on.. don't give up.. you will have some really good time in one.. put this behind you and look again.. not every one is a crook.

Regards

Bob

Upvote 0

EthnGeoff

Free Member
Jan 13, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
April 2009
Seems to be a very unusual case, but the main thing is you are not out of pocket, get back on that horse!
Geoff.

Upvote 0

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
One bad experience thousand of days pleasure:winky:

SIMPLES:Cool:

How you planning on holiday's now?

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Hope the cheque clears for you .
Dont let it put you off owning a motorhome though. If i was you i would go to a reputable dealer, unless i was confident around an engine etc , and Im not::bigsmile:
Bev

Upvote 0

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
No longer a motorhome owner

Hi there

Do not let it put you off. I live in France and am sure there are genuine dealers and owners here :) We brought our van with us and reregistered it here. A bit hard going paperwork wise ( but is not everything here :) )

WE are members of ACCCF which is the french Caravan Club but not at all the same !!! Much less snobby. And if you join them then they have a legal department and their help is included in your subscription.

Don't give up !! You were just unlucky.

Upvote 0

wander

Free Member
Jul 29, 2011
Calpe, Alicante, Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
Hello Holly,

So sorry to hear of your problems, do hope you get your money back okay. But don't give up, its a great life motorhoming, you can't beat it!

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Well, I may hold the record for briefest ownership of a motorhome.

Anomaly in paperwork was spotted by the lady in the Prefecture when I went to register it. That rang bells, so I had all the paperwork looked at, as well as the vehicle. Nothing was right--the vehicle was probably not the one it purported to be, the paperwork was a right mess, etc. etc etc. The Gendarmes became involved, and the next step was to be the Department of Fraud.
I emailed the company last night , said I was returning the vehicle today, wanted a refund. no-one expected me to get it, I have to say, and today i was there 10 minutes with French speaking friend and was told straight away a cheque was being written. The salesman looked sh** scared, the owner did get a bit verbally abusive with my friend because I wanted to check the cheque (now in bank) but we left.
Not sure what their scam is and how it works (I suspect an older vehicle has taken on the identity of a newer one) but please be careful buying out there. there are sharks around everywhere.
I am now retiring from being a motorhome wannabe--too stressful!
sorry you had a bad experience in France buying a MH you shold try one in the UK lots of good MHs for sale here :thumb:

Upvote 0

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Bugger !!!!

Henry and I are still passing through and look forward to seeing you and delivering your methane gas detector ! ( I will buy it off you as I need one ) chin up !!! :youbetcha:

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Awww Hollyberry - We're really sorry to hear you've had this trouble. {{{Hugs}}}

Please don't let this put you off! Count it as 'experience' LOL

Upvote 0

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
That is rotten luck, but that is all it is, I haven't heard of such a case recently in the Uk.

Your ideal van is out there, you just ain't found it yet. Close shave, keep your pecker up.

Fond regards ..... Griff

Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:Sad:Awwww Holly, I am so sorry to hear that. I thought you would be on your travels now with Salopian.....

Holly, please keep in touch and if you are in this country at a time when I am able to go on a meet, you can come and stay with me in the motorhome. .... I can put the awning up so you have a private bedroom. Cooking will be no problem as we are both veggies. Don't want to lose touch.

Big hug. Joy x

Upvote 0

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Thanks for posting Holly, I'm sure that at the moment you want nothing to do with motorhomes!

I do hope that the cheque clears and you get your money back - the disillusion will pass I'm sure and next time you won't be so unlucky.

Chin up!

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 309
Exp
since 2011 but years in a caravan
Awwww Holly, I too am so sorry to hear of your troubles.
We have just bought our first motor home and I agree, it is very stressful I lost sleep worrying about if I had spent a lot of money on something that would be a mistake but I had done all the checks and its worked out ok so far.
I bought private and there is a thing called buyer beware that means if you buy private and things are not what you expect then that is your problem and you are stuck with it.
But there are steps you can take like HPi check in the U.Kit seems you have friends over here so maybe when the shock as gone away and it will with time you can think of looking in the UK the exchange id good at the moment and motor homes are being exported back because they are cheaper over here.
I hope you don’t let this put you off the idea.
John

Upvote 0

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Hi Holly,

Sorry to hear of your trouble, at least the prefecture noticed it. Hope your cheque clears ok.

I know it's disappointing and off putting, but remember the vast majority of vans out there are genuine.
When I lived in France I had many friends with "Camping Cars", all without hassle and they just loved the opportunities their van offered. France is probably the number 1 Motorhome friendly country in the world.

So just relax for a while, but keep on looking, go to a reputable dealer if you are unsure. There are so many vans and dealers around, all over France, though you may have to travel a bit and pay a bit more, it will be worth it for the peace of mind, and all the Fun and good times your van will give you.

So chin up and good luck......:thumb:

Callum

Upvote 0

the stig

Funster
Oct 10, 2009
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Holly

as you can see from all these positive posts, you mustn't let it put you off long term. Just have a break, recharge your batteries then off you go again. At least you know what to look out for.
My old Dad God rest his soul, once said to me "Life is an experience, you just need to see how many you can get through"! Soooooo True...

Chin up, we're British, we can do this!

Love n Hugs
Andrea & Jeff
x

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Hi Holly!

Well.... give you some time to forget about the whole story and then call me. My best friend in France happens to be as well the owner of a garage. This is the way he works : you say which vehicule you want , the year , the colour, max kms on the clock, and the budget you have . Then his daughter , who fell into mechanics when a baby (BTW , i was the child minder of this precise baby and she was my FIRST ONE !!!), goes around the places and see if she can find it , and once its done , you just have to come along and have it. Nothing to do , just rely on them! They are honest , do good job, and speak English ! So i come and pick you up if you want , and we go and meet them . And IF it suits you then you just have to order. Does it sound fair enough to you? .... Have some time anyway , think about it . As soon as i get back to France i get in touch with him to see if he would do the job and will let you know (i don't see any reason why he wouldn't but , just in case i'll make sure !)

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile:

Upvote 0

Gran & Rog

Free Member
Apr 17, 2011
Lofthouse, Wakefield
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Eight years
what a horrid thing to happen, so sorry to hear this but please don't let it put you off.

having had problems with our 5th we felt like packing in but carried on and thankfully all sorted now.

Good luck and don'e give up:thumb:

Upvote 0

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Hi Holly!

Well.... give you some time to forget about the whole story and then call me. My best friend in France happens to be as well the owner of a garage. This is the way he works : you say which vehicule you want , the year , the colour, max kms on the clock, and the budget you have . Then his daughter , who fell into mechanics when a baby (BTW , i was the child minder of this precise baby and she was my FIRST ONE !!!), goes around the places and see if she can find it , and once its done , you just have to come along and have it. Nothing to do , just rely on them! They are honest , do good job, and speak English ! So i come and pick you up if you want , and we go and meet them . And IF it suits you then you just have to order. Does it sound fair enough to you? .... Have some time anyway , think about it . As soon as i get back to France i get in touch with him to see if he would do the job and will let you know (i don't see any reason why he wouldn't but , just in case i'll make sure !)

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile:

What a super offer, that's what this group of funsters is all about, thank you Frankie. .. Griff..:thumb:

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
What a awful start to your Motorhome experience, it can only get better, I can see why you feel like walking away from it all, but when your cheque clears and you come to terms with it, don't give up on your dream, there is so much out there to see and do, the kind offer of Frankie and check's that no doubt you would do this time things will work out differently for you.

Thinking of you and hope it all turns out as everyone here on Fun is wishing for you.

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since May 2010
I'm really sorry to hear of your experience, Hollyberry. It would be a great shame if this put you off your dream of owning a motorhome. :Sad:

If you do meet up with Joy, can I come as well? I fit all the criteria - veggie plus dog!

All the best

Upvote 0

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I'm really sorry to hear of your experience, Hollyberry. It would be a great shame if this put you off your dream of owning a motorhome. :Sad:

If you do meet up with Joy, can I come as well? I fit all the criteria - [HI]veggie[/HI] plus dog!

All the best

Whats up with you three, if God intended us to be Veggies why did he make cooked flesh taste of Meat?, ......

...hey answer me that and what do you eat when the bacon butties are produced at the meets

.................and WHY are they called meets?

.................Keep yer pecker up ...Griff

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back