No insurance without a tracker!! (1 Viewer)

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi, I have just tried to transfer the insurance from our old van to the new one and been told that if the Motorhome is worth more than £50,000 they will not insure it without a fitted tracker and GPS contract.

We are insured with the Camping and Caravan Club and wondered if this was normal practice or are there companies who will insure without a tracker.

The only other alternative is to find out if there is a cheaper one than the dealer is quoting - £750 including 3 years contract.

Any help and advice appreciated.

Ginny and Mike

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I had a similar problem last week. My insurers told me I would have to have a Thatcham cat 2 immobiliser fitted costing £200 from one of there recognised fitters. After I paid for this they then wanted another £100 as the vehicle was 24 volt.....It turned out I already had a Thatcham fitted. Its just another way of insurance companies extracting more cash from a cash starved cow, but what can you do....We have to have insurance.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
there are much cheaper monitored trackers out there. vanbitz do one and you can get a funster discount too

standard practice for most insurers to insist on a tracker on high value or high risk vehicles

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Hi, I have just tried to transfer the insurance from our old van to the new one and been told that if the Motorhome is worth more than £50,000 they will not insure it without a fitted tracker and GPS contract.

We are insured with the Camping and Caravan Club and wondered if this was normal practice or are there companies who will insure without a tracker.

The only other alternative is to find out if there is a cheaper one than the dealer is quoting - £750 including 3 years contract.

Any help and advice appreciated.

Ginny and Mike

Try farmers union, not the cheapest but will usually insure anything, iv got mh two pickups tractors house everything with them:thumb: AND they payout when something goes wrong::bigsmile:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Try farmers union, not the cheapest but will usually insure anything, iv got mh two pickups tractors house everything with them:thumb: AND they payout when something goes wrong::bigsmile:

When I rang them, their quote was astronomical and went even higher when I said I had solar and a sat..

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
came across the same issue when we purchased ours.
eventually insured with safeguard who did not require it, but understandably wanted a decent alarm
Safeguard incidentally were also the best quote and cover for our needs

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
When I rang them, their quote was astronomical and went even higher when I said I had solar and a sat..

How long ago was that, when we first had ours they were miles out but this year they have changed there attitude to mhs and were not much different than anyone else and you can talk to them face to face, ours this year is£285 no tracker, no nowt
We went with saga last time but this time Nfu were £100 cheaper

Last edited:

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
paid 600 this march - first motorhome so no "no claims" with m/home but clean insurance history for car driving, m/home brand new a class and fully loaded with toys,full european break down cover., 10k mileage limit per year, got the quote with introductory offer when visited nec show.
I was beginning to despair as other quotes were coming in at 1.5k plus and not old enough for saga (just)

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Every year I shop around and every year I end up with Safeguard.

Only thing they insist on is a decent alarm which is fitted as standard on most vans nowadays.

Likewise I also tried Farmers Union :Eeek: price scared me.

Shop around
Good Luck :thumb:

mapa

Free Member
Sep 16, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
I can't understand this fascination with monitored trackers. I used to have a phantom and they were rubbish I regularly drove off without switching it off and they never once contacted me. I've now got a cheap one off eBay fitted it myself and it sends a text to me and the wife every time it moves. It works a treat. I would never have another monitored one

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
I can't understand this fascination with monitored trackers. I used to have a phantom and they were rubbish I regularly drove off without switching it off and they never once contacted me. I've now got a cheap one off eBay fitted it myself and it sends a text to me and the wife every time it moves. It works a treat. I would never have another monitored one

That sounds fine, but would the insurance company recognise it for insurance purposes?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
That sounds fine, but would the insurance company recognise it for insurance purposes?
no the insurance doesnt recognise the self monitored tracker, but it is so feature rich that its much better

it texts you to tell you the van has been started if you dont switch it off
you can text it to switch off the engine
you can track it real time on a smart phone or computer
you can text it to set off the alarm

all for just over £30 plus a payg sim card

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Is it me!

MH insurance due shortly so, have run a couple of queries on comparison sites and others like CC & CCC. Some frightening quotes.

Just tried Frank Pickles as recommended here, waded through all the questions, feeling frustrated by the form filling but eventually get to the bit where your hopefully of a competitive quote.

NOooooooo please contact us insurance declined as the COSSOA Gold site you store your MH in is more than 100 metres from your home address :Sad:

Ok I'll save the quote and ring up, NOoooooooo can't save the details.:Doh:

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
im with safeguard , and even though my van is a self build and not the same sort of value you are talking about I have a tracker fitted.
when I tried to get discount for that they said I couldn't have any .
I didnt argue about it as I thought their price was reasonable anyway.
this year my quote was again reasonable and I noticed when they ran through the details before renewal that they had recorded the fact that the vehicle had a tracker, so im not sure now as I assume the quote was with tracker fitted.:Doh:. I mentioned the tyre pal this year and I think they gave me a few pounds off for that as well ::bigsmile:

ta andy

mapa

Free Member
Sep 16, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
no the insurance doesnt recognise the self monitored tracker, but it is so feature rich that its much better

it texts you to tell you the van has been started if you dont switch it off
you can text it to switch off the engine
you can track it real time on a smart phone or computer
you can text it to set off the alarm

all for just over £30 plus a payg sim card

Your absolutely right, they won't accept it and that is my gripe. In my opinion its a far superior system because it means that I'm able to take action immediately and not rely on someone in an office who just happens to be on his tea break. The text I receive links directly to a mapping system showing me the MH location which gives me control of the situation rather than relying on someone else.

atlantisbird

Free Member
Mar 26, 2012
Near Bridlington
Funster No
MH
New Bentley C Class
Exp
since 2012 in own van
Hi,
Ginny & Mike,
We only have a cheap "Bentley" :winky: we went with Comfort who gave us one of the best prices and cover especially for 365 days abroad for a mere 350 quid and we have been very happy with them.
Should have gone to [STRIKE]specsavers[/STRIKE] sorry Bentley's.
Hope you can get fixed up.
Harry

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi,
Ginny & Mike,
We only have a cheap "Bentley" :winky: we went with Comfort who gave us one of the best prices and cover especially for 365 days abroad for a mere 350 quid and we have been very happy with them.
Should have gone to [STRIKE]specsavers[/STRIKE] sorry Bentley's.
Hope you can get fixed up.
Harry

Come on Harry, you love your Bentley! We have just found out that the Bentley Oulton was overweight on the back axle - unloaded!! Thank goodness we didn't get stopped and checked.

We are really looking forward to catching up with you again, are you going to Misterton???

Ginny

atlantisbird

Free Member
Mar 26, 2012
Near Bridlington
Funster No
MH
New Bentley C Class
Exp
since 2012 in own van
Come on Harry, you love your Bentley! We have just found out that the Bentley Oulton was overweight on the back axle - unloaded!! Thank goodness we didn't get stopped and checked.

We are really looking forward to catching up with you again, are you going to Misterton???

Ginny

No not going to Misterton as Ann wants to go to Woolfest in Cockermouth Cumbria but we will be going to Wrenbury,The ballon festival in Bristol before going to Malvern up to now.
Harry

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Our renewal with comfort was £280 for year with euro cover but no breakdown insurance 5000 mile limit as we are not planning much this year
It was £320 with 10000 miles
I did not think it was too bad I searched a few online company's and best was £270 from a company I had never heard of

easygirl

Free Member
Nov 7, 2010
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Kontiki
Exp
3 years
Go to trackerfit and look at the smartrak trident tracker
Comes in at £700 but the subscription is for your ownership of the vehicle, which was a bargain for us as we intend to keep for a long time, and it is covered all over Europe, which some are not.

Iola

Free Member
Jun 24, 2014
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
No insurance without tracker

Try Lifesure . . . . Safeguard wouldn't insure us as we don't park on a drive . . . : )

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
We were told the same. 50000 + requires more than cat 2 immobiliser. Other company's didn't ask. We are booked in at van bitz with a fun discount to upgrade:thumb:

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
Safeguard

came across the same issue when we purchased ours.
eventually insured with safeguard who did not require it, but understandably wanted a decent alarm
Safeguard incidentally were also the best quote and cover for our needs

I am with safeguard also but they required Tracker?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back