No fees Credit Card Interesting? (1 Viewer)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
You have to be in full-tine employment :)

Although it says that you have to be in full-time employment in the general introduction, the FAQ page says:

- Who is eligible to apply for a card?

UK residents aged 18 years and over with a UK bank or building society account. You will need to provide a landline telephone number for home or work and have a regular source of income through full-time or part-time employment of more than 16 hours per week (this can be you or your partner), or be a student, retired or on incapacity benefit. Finally, you need to have a clean credit history, ie, no arrears, defaults, County Court Judgments (CCJs), bankruptcies or Individual Voluntary Agreements (IVAs).

Confusing, isn't it?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
You have to be in full-tine employment :)

I wonder who is backing this one?

I don't think anyone is behind them. They provide quite a few store card type things and seem to be a long established company.

Liabilities outweigh assets by a couple of million quid but that doesn't mean much.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Nationwide or what we use, one from the post office :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Thought all credit cards were fee free if you pay them off every month, even get tesco points as well on theirs(y)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Not abroad.. Most put a surcharge on top with every purchase you make

H

Hagstrom

Deleted User
We have the Halifax Clarity Credit Card which ahs an option to automatically pay itself off every month; no charge for using abroad to pay for services like fuel, groceries, meals, campsites etc; no conversion commission; the commercial rate of exchange (about 3 or 4 cents behind the best currency market rate, so currently 1.36 against 1.40 market rate).

Works beautifully in Europe unless you use it to take out cash then, I understand that it charges a percentage fee and not sure what exchange rate they give you.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Thought all credit cards were fee free if you pay them off every month, even get tesco points as well on theirs(y)

Nope. As @Jaws said most of them charge you a transaction fee every time you use them abroad and also a lot of them give you a pretty shitty exchange rate as well. The Tesco one is one that charges.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Nationwide credit card used abroad for purchases, there is no charge and you get the bank rate on the day not the tourist rate. There is a charge if you use the ATM though, it's cheaper to use your debit card at ATM, but there is a charge but not as high as using credit card. I believe Halifax credit card is the same.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I've got 3 CCs for using in Europe fee free: Nationwide; Saga & Metrobank. Also use Metrobank debit card for ATM withdrawals, also fee free.

If you can get into London (even on a day trip) to a branch then Metrobank is good for both debit & credit cards although not much use for anyone who can't get to one of their branches.

Denise

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Halifax Clarity CC and P.O. CC (Bank of Ireland), no charges for use and no conversion fees.
Both to pay off balance so no cost to me to use. Have both in case one fails.
Have got Caxton for the cash withdrawals, send text, card loaded in seconds and get those Euros out the ATM

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back