No doubt a topic that has been discussed.......cleaning motor home roof. (1 Viewer)

Oct 1, 2014
Kent
Funster No
MH
Autocruise
Exp
2 weeks! def Newbie......
After just recently purchasing our new MH which now has pride of place on our drive....I was wondering exactly how to clean the roof?.....there is no rear ladder.

I am aware about the use of power hoses not being used, but I want to ensure the roof is protected as good as possible from the elements and bird poop!, also maintaining the solar panel.

so any tips on wax / shampoo and ladders used would be appreciated!

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
If you think your roof is dirty this is one i had to tackle today
roof before.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
I use Graham's method.. a multipurpose ladder that can be used as a platform ..

like this Broken Link Removed

It can be used to reach really awkward areas like above the windscreen, especially if you have a luton body .. this with a decent car wash brush that takes a water supply is all you need.

Unless absolutely essential, don't go on the roof.. not only is it dangerous, especially when wet and slippy, I've read several tales of people falling off and ruining their next holiday.. but even if strong enough, your weight can distort the roof panel and break the seals around the roof lights ..
If you must go on, use something to spread the weight, like a scaffold plank.. I've always found bare feet gave me the best 'feel' and less likely to slip.

I used to go on the roof of my RV , but it had a very strong roof, composite plywood with a rubber membrane.. quite different from most European motorhomes, it did not bend or buckle under my weight and being so big it was a lot easier to use a deck scrubber and hose to get the muck off.

Plenty of propitiatory caravan cleaning products on the market.. most have a favorite... I like Silky but you can use any car cleaners. Traffic film removers are very good.. Screwfix have one at about £3 for 2lt and if nothing else avaible use washing up liquid..

If you have an awning, now is the time to also give it a good clean.. my method is is simple, very effective and cheap..

Bucket of warm water , good squirt of Fairy and 1 cup of cheap thin bleach.

Open the awning and wash BOTH sides with a soft broom or car brush.. roll it back in while still wet and soapy.. Leave for half an hour.. open up and hose off.. brand new awning.
!
Can I just ask, is your awning still fully waterproof after you do this? My bro in law tried a similar thing and ended up having to rewaterproof the whole awning. :(

Upvote 0

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
just done mine used a squeegee mop half 1 side half the other job done no need to go onto the roof

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Can I just ask, is your awning still fully waterproof after you do this? My bro in law tried a similar thing and ended up having to rewaterproof the whole awning. :(

Very surprised to read this.. what kind of material was it.. and how old ?

Obviously you would never clean a cotton canvas awning or tent by this method.. that would strip off any proofing, but modern roll out awnings are made of acrylic which doesn't need proofing.

I washed my RV awning many many times over a 6 year period and no issues with it, and so have thousands of others, ( I found this method on a US motorhome site ) but .. if you feel or think it will damage yours please do not use this method.

Upvote 0
Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
Very surprised to read this.. what kind of material was it.. and how old ?

Obviously you would never clean a cotton canvas awning or tent by this method.. that would strip off any proofing, but modern roll out awnings are made of acrylic which doesn't need proofing.

I washed my RV awning many many times over a 6 year period and no issues with it, and so have thousands of others, ( I found this method on a US motorhome site ) but .. if you feel or think it will damage yours please do not use this method.
Ah! Totally my error. His was a caravan awning and not the roll out type. Doh. Ignore me! Blonde moment! :doh:

Upvote 0

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
To clean my MH roof i climb a step ladder and reach over the roof with a proper extending cleaing brush.

Firstly i would spray the roof with clean water from a low pressure hose.

I use fenwicks motorhome cleaner in in a spray bottle.

Spray a section at a time agitate with the brush and then rinse off.

Continue until the roof has been done.

Repeat for heavily soiled areas.

Once complete, spray with Bobby Dazzler in the rinse water.

It will be easier to clean next time.

Great product that does what it says on the tin.

The product will last a long time as only a capful is needed each time.
Hope this is of some help

Upvote 0

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
just done mine from ladders with pipe protectors to protect roof,spray [after spraying with clean water] with fenwicks motorhome cleaner rinse off spray with fenwicks bobby dazler , wipe/polish then spray with fenwicks winterisor,when dry polish comes up like new, awning to be cleaned and waterproofed [ now 5ry old]

Upvote 0

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
If you can't see under it then surely it isn't dirty is it? :LOL:
As I said, about 1" gap , so I can see under it and the rest of the roof was filthy, so stands to reason it's just as bad under the S/P Will try spraying some fenwicks and maybe use one of those bottle brushes for behind radiators, then rinse off.
Cheers, Dave (y)

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
As I said, about 1" gap , so I can see under it and the rest of the roof was filthy, so stands to reason it's just as bad under the S/P Will try spraying some fenwicks and maybe use one of those bottle brushes for behind radiators, then rinse off.
Cheers, Dave (y)
That seems a good plan. I never thought of using one of those brushes. Please let us know how you get on (y)

Upvote 0

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
don't know where post went but this is my truck nearing completer clean / roof sides wheels

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
don't know where post went but this is my truck nearing completer clean / roof sides wheels
did we see you at Ilminster in September?

Upvote 0

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
hi don't think so last 1 we did was Lincoln, looking 2 get away next week some-where for long week-end

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
just the MH looked familiar... can there be 2 this clean & shiny???

Upvote 0

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
I have had to change my user name and avatar due to forum rules (not complaining) You can see how I tackle roof cleaning in my new avatar

Upvote 0

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
I have had to change my user name and avatar due to forum rules (not complaining) You can see how I tackle roof cleaning in my new avatar
i have a set of same ladder,s with runner/s did not feel safe find ladder,s r best 4 me

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back