Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Sorry mate, I thought you mentioned 'facts'? :(
Yes indeed I did, but you have gone slightly out of context.....

My quote:
I think that the difference is between stating facts (xyz group trashed abc carpark by leaving rubbish after they camped illegally there) and broad sweeping statements (shoot the lot of the thieving swine). The second statement is not acceptable and it is this sort of thing that we all must steer clear of. The internet is a very public place - there is a difference between "closed" and "confidential"

Unquote

Just saying that we must be careful to quote facts.

The second mention of facts
Well, it was written in a newspaper with a decent reputation for finding good verifiable stories, not least of which was the parliamentary expenses scandal. If it is good enough to pass their libel lawyers then it is good enough for me. It has also been reported in the Guardian, Independent, ITV news and Sky news. I would call the report of the investigation fact not supposition as it is in writing clear for all to see in print

Here I am saying that the existence of the report was fact not necessarily the report itself, which in any case had presumably been passed by the legal staff.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I just wonder how many people actually give a %@# about that story tbh?
My interest was in sticking to facts when writing anything on the Internet, rather than the alleged transgressions themselves. It was to illustrate that the Internet is a very public place

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I don't know about anyone else, but what waste of time this thread is. Someone posts a story that is in the newspapers and the public domain, to what point? to inform us all, why, we can read newspapers for ourselves. This is followed by post after post of argument that gets nowhere and then starts going off topic, the original being alleged private racist comments but now becoming another rant about travellers.

This certainly isn't "fun" for me, I think my best policy is to avoid reading "Lounge" topics altogether.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
  • SUNDAY 19 JULY 2015 (the independant)
  • SUNDAY 19 JULY 2015
  • The Metropolitan Police is examining allegations that serving officers used a closed group on the social network to post racist comments about Gypsies and Travellers. Both groups are officially recognised as ethnic minorities, and discriminating against them is illegal.

And you point is?

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I don't know about anyone else, but what waste of time this thread is. Someone posts a story that is in the newspapers and the public domain, to what point? to inform us all, why, we can read newspapers for ourselves. This is followed by post after post of argument that gets nowhere and then starts going off topic, the original being alleged private racist comments but now becoming another rant about travellers.

This certainly isn't "fun" for me, I think my best policy is to avoid reading "Lounge" topics altogether.
I tried to keep to the point of sticking to facts when writing things on the Internet - whatever the subject

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Don't you lot have some grass to cut or anything else to do? Of if really stuck, come here and look at a pair of cupboard doors which were painted this morning. The paint is still drying in that riveting way paint does. :)

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
A group moved onto some grass locally. Next thing a local 16 year old has been beaten up by 2 adult travellers such that he is now in hospital. Police are deciding if they can press charges so the travellers have promptly cleared off! Maybe there are some that give them a bad name just like there are motorhomers who discredit the rest of us. For the parasites, thieves and lawbreakers amongst them they deserve to suffer the full extent of the law!

And another thing, whenever the fair comes to town, all the local businesses near the fair site have their milk stolen from their doorsteps even though there is a Tesco just across the road from them! More bloody thieves and they expect equal treatment to law abiding citizens!

You break the law and infringe the human rights of those you hurt or steal from then you should forfeit your own human rights to the same degree!

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
A group moved onto some grass locally. Next thing a local 16 year old has been beaten up by 2 adult travellers such that he is now in hospital. Police are deciding if they can press charges so the travellers have promptly cleared off! Maybe there are some that give them a bad name just like there are motorhomers who discredit the rest of us. For the parasites, thieves and lawbreakers amongst them they deserve to suffer the full extent of the law!

And another thing, whenever the fair comes to town, all the local businesses near the fair site have their milk stolen from their doorsteps even though there is a Tesco just across the road from them! More bloody thieves and they expect equal treatment to law abiding citizens!

You break the law and infringe the human rights of those you hurt or steal from then you should forfeit your own human rights to the same degree!
What I struggle with is that as an identified minority group, they have rights that the majority don't....to have designated areas available for them, as an example....with no,rates, no charges. (I will be happy to stand corrected if I am talking out of my hat, but is what I have been told)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It makes me wonder that if travellers and gypsies have rights as a recognised ehnic group, that scarbourough council are not infringing human rights and persecuting a recognised group ie us "travellers", with there no overnight parking rules.
Just a thought
Andy.
The Itinerants in scarborough dont park in the same type of places covered by the no overnight rules.
they pitch up on wide grass verges, community greens, waste land etc and the council know its takes too long to get "eviction" notices so dont bother.
just a week ago a large group of Itinerants pitched up on Ganton golf courses 17th fairway.....and the club was powerless in the short term to do anything about them.
could take a week or two to get a "move on" order in which time they would be gone anyway.

During the seamer fair, granted by royal order, the council provide a campsite with waste skips, water etc for £5 per unit per night....most wont pay the fiver and prefer verges

Last edited:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
just a week ago a large group of Itinerants pitched up on Ganton golf courses 17th fairway.....and the club was powerless in the short term
Easy. Just turn the 17th into a temporary driving range.(y) They would soon bu**er off!.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We have the luxury of living adjacent to land owned by the corporation of London. They have a very refreshing approach to "travellers" who don't realise where they are.
1 hour or the jcb diggers move in to drag them off.
Compared to the local council COL powers are awesome and fun to watch

Reactions: Sue

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back