LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Although I have always used the Channel ports when coming to Spain as the Brittany Bandits were always too expensive. I have just had a pleasant surprise from LD Lines. Santander to Poole with a 10 metre rig including cabin for 2 at £392. This is in May, so hardly out of season. There is no way I can transit France and get a Channel ferry for anywhere near that kind of money now. I always enjoyed the trip down through France and would still prefer to go the long way, but its just a no brainer now. Spend a couple of days on the 500 mile run up to Santander from Benidorm, then 24 hours rest on the ferry getting off refreshed in Poole ready for the run home. Non of that getting off a ferry in Dover at silly oclock and having to run up north because there is nowhere to park up. No Dartford tolls, no M25. Bliss ::bigsmile: Smudger with his Roadtrain will save a fortune as well as the yearly output of at least one oilwell is travelling for £432 including cabin. Maybe he will buy me a beer with the money he has saved ::bigsmile:.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
i never considered the long route always preferring the travel through france but when i saw the price for the line u said it was less expensive than travelling my way so next trip to spain i may consider it but it also depends on when and what the weather is like :Smile:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
It's THE WEATHER that is the biggy with this crossing in the winter especially. LD wanted about £800 of us for two way trip Poole Gijon Gijon Poole end of Feb, as we live in the North East it is always tempting to get the Ferry from Hull and avoid the drive South, so that's what we did again 3 days down France only about €25 on tolls and used aires. OK fuel costs but still cheaper that way for us other that it is just time and certainly more relaxed driving down France.

If we had booked the Gijon Ferry Jen would not have slept at all weeks before the crossing with all the recent winds and on the news about a cruise ship getting windows blown in. I was non too keep on the reports of motorhomes and cargo sliding around in the holds either.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
We have just travelled on LD lines from Santander to Poole. Almost £300 cheaper than BF. The boat is alright, but did roll side to side for about 18 hours. Even though the sea was calm.
Not as much on board as BF, but the cabins are warm and comfortable. Each cabin is four berth, even though there was only two of us.
There is one cafeteria, one bar, no wifi, no duty free, and was told by the purser no lifts.
24 hours is boring on any ferry, but, LD did it's job, at a reasonable price.
Arriving at Poole at 2300h, we found that MH/RVs can stay in the dock (just ask where) it is next to a cafe, there are toilets, showers, waste dump (cassettes or macerator) fresh water tap and all for a fiver.
As for vehicles sliding about on deck, it is no different to any other ferry, so no problems.
If you are needing a lift, i would check with them first. There has to be a lift of some sort, to get provisions to the lounge deck i would think.

Craig

Deleted User
Some rates using BF Club Voyage for 10m overall (website only up to 9m for m'home)

Mon 19/5 Pont Aven with 2 berth inside cabin....full member(30%) £399.30
guest (10%) £475.60
Dep 15.15 arr 14.15

Sun 18/5 Economie with 2/4 berth ..full member £331.30
guest £393.10
Dep 14.15 arr 15.15

Club voyage for Spain costs £100 p.a. plus £100 joining fee but for an extra £30 p.a. an associate member can be added who will be entitled to the full discounts and benefits. 10% off meals over £15, £7.90 pp breakfast allowance.

BF are very flexible regarding alterations and only take £35 deposit at time of booking.

LD lines dep22.30 Arr 23.30, price quoted for 10m this morning is £408 or £423.

With full membership of Club Voyage still slightly dearer but this can be reduced if you know someone that will share the cost by becoming an associate member and even more for return crossing and multiple journeys.

For the small extra amount, if I was making an annual return journey I would pay the extra for the very different experience of travelling on the Pont Aven(or even Cap Finistere)

I do not work for BF or have shares but I have been a very satisfied member of Club Voyage France for several years.:Smile::Smile:

I have also used the Norman Asturias from Gijon/St.Nazaire several times(crossing booked for May) and whilst very good it does not compare to the Pont Aven especially for a 26 hr crossing.

Deleted User
Having spent the best part of 40 years driving 60/ 100,000 miles a year in a truck the 'driving' part of motorhoming doesn't really interest me that much.:Smile::Smile:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I love being on the road in a motorhome...

If I didn't like the driving part of motorhoming I would probably ask myself why have one at all...

JJ :Cool:

Deleted User
I love being on the road in a motorhome...

If I didn't like the driving part of motorhoming I would probably ask myself why have one at all...

JJ :Cool:

You may well be right ::bigsmile:

I still love seeing different places, cultures etc and living in the 5'er but as far as I am concerned the driving is merely a means to an end.

When I was driving for a living we used to call drivers that always wanted the longest runs etc 'cab happy':Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back