Free Member
Jun 29, 2012
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
autotrail cheiftain
Exp
since 2006
:xeek: i had the same checked everything all ok but no 240v any way started up the onboard genny run that every thing worked,shut it of all ok 240v back to normal strange or what ??:xThumb::xThumb:

petrol tin glyn

Free Member
Jun 29, 2012
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
autotrail cheiftain
Exp
since 2006
"]Dirty relay contacts mains / genny changeover?[/QUOTE]
:xeek:thanks for the info was in spain when it happened panic stations but ended ok not happened since:xlaugh::xlaugh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
L

longdog

Banned
Apr 16, 2013
Funster No
I spoke to a friend of mine today who used to have a a '58 reg Swift. He said exactly the same thing happened to him a few years ago. He spent a couple of hundred getting the fault sorted before some one asked if he had checked the battery in the control panel above the habitation door. He found it was corroded and starting to swell, he changed it and it worked!

I thought it was worth a try and took myself off to Maplins at 9:00am this morning. By 10:00am the battery was changed and my 240 volt was working in the van! Now that's what I call a result!

How can a £3.99 lithium battery cause the 240 volt supply to stop working?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I had a similar problem when I bought my very first motorhome.

It turned out to be the small adapter lead that converts the blue plug to the normal 3 pin plug. The cable inside the blue plug end of this had disconnected itself.

If you have a multimeter test the voltage on the output of the adapter.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Sorry I had opened this and not responded due to a distraction. Glad to hear you sorted it.

I am so glad I don't have a fancy motorhome whereby a cheap battery can stop 240V from working :xeek:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I spoke to a friend of mine today who used to have a a '58 reg Swift. He said exactly the same thing happened to him a few years ago. He spent a couple of hundred getting the fault sorted before some one asked if he had checked the battery in the control panel above the habitation door. He found it was corroded and starting to swell, he changed it and it worked!

I thought it was worth a try and took myself off to Maplins at 9:00am this morning. By 10:00am the battery was changed and my 240 volt was working in the van! Now that's what I call a result!

How can a £3.99 lithium battery cause the 240 volt supply to stop working?
Completely over engineered for a motorhome.....just like the electrobloc control panel.

Yer car doesnt have this much complication.

OP
OP
L

longdog

Banned
Apr 16, 2013
Funster No
Sorry I had opened this and not responded due to a distraction. Glad to hear you sorted it.

I am so glad I don't have a fancy motorhome whereby a cheap battery can stop 240V from working :xeek:

Well I don't think I have a fancy MH, but it does seem ludicrous that a cheap battery can stop a 240 volt supply from working!

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I'd be willing to bet that the fuse in your adapter has blown. There is a considerable load on the fuse when the MH is being checked over. I'm certain that the fault is not on your MH.

Robert.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Yes, the fuse in the adapter should be a 13amp one but the MH can draw more than the fuse can handle.
Change the fuse in the adapter & all will be well again.

Robert.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The answer was posted above, did you click the link?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Well I don't think I have a fancy MH, but it does seem ludicrous that a cheap battery can stop a 240 volt supply from working!

I find myself thinking "that should not happen" often when it comes to Sargent. We were wild camped next to an old couple on Skye and she said they had to leave because the heating had failed and her husband could not cope with cold, Sargent, unplug control to reset it, they have heat. She was so grateful she tried to give me £50.

Jaws is a great fan of theirs.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Yes, the fuse in the adapter should be a 13amp one but the MH can draw more than the fuse can handle.
Change the fuse in the adapter & all will be well again.

Robert.
Unfortunately the 3 pin plug on the adaptor lead will be rated at 13amps.......putting in a larger fuse (if you can find one that fits the plug) is foolhardy.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Not for a simple function like turning on a basic switch..

In this CANBUS world nowt is simple anymore.

I can see the attraction at design time, a shed load of thick 240 cables all over the place to bulky switches or a single telephone like CANBUS cable from a flashy control panel to a hidden relay box.

But 10 years on ( OK 1 year on with poor build quality ) and oh how things change.

Look at Jaw's pain for the incredibly simple function of extend/retract a step.

OP
OP
L

longdog

Banned
Apr 16, 2013
Funster No
Well guess what? Went away for a few days and it happened again while connected to EHU on a campsite. At that point there was no load apart from the Truma water heater and we were not in the 'van at the time.

I went through everything again and couldn't get 240v working at all. Still, it didn't spoil our few days and I thought I'd look at it in more detail when I got back home. Did everything I had done before apart from changing the battery and it still didn't work. Had it connected to my household supply using a 2nd mains lead and nothing. Switched everything off and then switched it back on and it worked!

Plugged a vacuum cleaner in to give the van a quick clean and it stopped working again, since then, the only thing I haven't done is change the lithium battery in the control panel and it still refuses to work! The 'van is going in on Wednesday for it's annual habitation check, I think I'll ask them to check this out :(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back