Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Get super night skies here,but there is a star that seems to be unwanted.
OK. Looking up at the moon now,it is crescent shaped,sitting on the bottom point,tilted slightly to the right,this star,if i hold my hand out,with the moon to the right of it,is a hands breadth to the left,roughly in a line horizontaly with the bottom point.
So name that star please,as its so lonely up there,i can have a chat with it now and again,keep it company........ Now,how did it go."every action has an equal and opposite reaction,i see the moon,the moon sees me".
Tea Bag.
PS. And NO! No Conde Noble tonight,just a small pint of."Portal do Minho. Loureiro Vinho Verde D.O.C"

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
its a satellite hence the apparent shape

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
its the wasit one, you know the thingy ma jig:rolleyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Tea Bag
Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
its a satellite hence the apparent shape

Hi.
If its a Satellite,its like me......Not very bright. I have noticed it now,on and off,for quite a while,would a Satallite keep station like that,and if it WHERE a satellite,could i become. "Zubar the Almighty,ground station Portugal.".... Have you got your ears on good buddy?

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Suggest you download the Google Sky Map star charts to your Phone (Androids) then open the APP hold the phone up to where the unknown object is it will tell you if it is a star
otherwise try WinStars 2 programme on your laptop it is a telescope control / star map updates regularly so has all satellites and asteroids and comets so it will help you id the object definitively

BTW a Geostationary satellite (Tea Bag for You one that keeps station as you put it) rarely shows in the night sky the one you can normally see is the International Space Station and that moves quite quickly across the sky

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Most of the satellites that are visible from earth with the naked eye are not geosynchronous..
If you see it again take a rough gestimate in degrees east or west of south where it is..

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Snap ! We types at the same time, but me being a windbag type a bit more and you beat me to the punch @Madcaravanner ;-0 !

OP
OP
Tea Bag
Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
I don't feel quite so alone in my world after reading that. :)

Hi Movan.
You are not. Just to give you another giggle,going down the m/way,doing a bit of "Night hawking" (Off radar) in the lorry,beautiful moonlit night,and i was keeping an eye on an aircraft,that appeared to be on a collision course with the moon,thankfully it missed,so i said into the CB. "Thank....mmm oh yes goodness? for that,i thought an aircraft was going to hit the moon." Three more CB'ers said....... "So did i"
Reach out and feel the love Movan,we are surrounded by it,and this forum helps.
Tea Bag

OP
OP
Tea Bag
Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
Most of the satellites that are visible from earth with the naked eye are not geosynchronous..
If you see it again take a rough gestimate in degrees east or west of south where it is..

Hi Jaws.
I don't do "East or West of South",just North and South. As for "Geosychronous." You have sat in your Radio Shack for to long,todays speak is."Sometimes it takes another route"
Tea Bag.
PS. Yes,it is, East,not West of South,you have been peeking.....Shame on you,i saw it first!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If it is crescent shaped and bright it can only be Venus. Not a, star of course but a planet . :) But Venus is very low in the south west at the moment so perhaps it was the moon, , which is also a crescent at the moment.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hi Jaws.
I don't do "East or West of South",just North and South. As for "Geosychronous." You have sat in your Radio Shack for to long,todays speak is."Sometimes it takes another route"
Tea Bag.
PS. Yes,it is, East,not West of South,you have been peeking.....Shame on you,i saw it first!

I didn't understand that.

OP
OP
Tea Bag
Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
If it is crescent shaped and bright it can only be Venus. Not a, star of course but a planet . :) But Venus is very low in the south west at the moment so perhaps it was the moon, , which is also a crescent at the moment.
Hi John Laidler.
I know you find it hard to believe that English is my first language,however,the "Crescent shape" i was rtefering to,was the moon,so,the moon is sitting on its botton point as i look at it,with the top point just tilted to the right. I now holdt my hand out infront of me,so the moon sits to the right of my thumb, and to the left of my hand horizontaly,is this little dim star.
As Jaws said,i had another look,and it is sitting to the left of the moon,if i had to remember my Compass bearings ,i would say it was East south east. Thanks for your help,i guess i am not going to be "Zubar the Almighty" talking to an "Unknown" Space vehicle after all,are well,win some lose some.
Thanks again all.
Tea Bag

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Which way are you looking, could be Uranus :whistle2:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hi John Laidler.
I know you find it hard to believe that English is my first language,however,the "Crescent shape" i was rtefering to,was the moon,so,the moon is sitting on its botton point as i look at it,with the top point just tilted to the right. I now holdt my hand out infront of me,so the moon sits to the right of my thumb, and to the left of my hand horizontaly,is this little dim star.
As Jaws said,i had another look,and it is sitting to the left of the moon,if i had to remember my Compass bearings ,i would say it was East south east. Thanks for your help,i guess i am not going to be "Zubar the Almighty" talking to an "Unknown" Space vehicle after all,are well,win some lose some.
Thanks again all.
Tea Bag
Sorry, brain fade again but serendipitously I may just have been correct, it is Venus . :) http://earthsky.org/astronomy-essen...night-mars-jupiter-venus-saturn-mercury#venus

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
I didn't understand that.
Satellites are marked by their position relative to the South pole

So Astra where Sky is transmitted From is 28.8 degrees East of South so if you work out 28.9 degrees towards the East point from Sout that's it
there are quite a few satellites West of South Too mostly Spanish and French with a lot of Arabic channels

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
from Lisbon right now

Yourtel

OP
OP
Tea Bag
Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
Hey, thats fantastic.....a camera which can see below the horizon. Whatever next.
Hi pappajohn.
Keep up,i am looking with my naked eye,not some old Box Brownie,at the moment,CWH and Speve seem to have a satellite in about the spot,,BUT,it is not bright light,SO, if it is Mars,Specsavers have just lost a customer for at least 20 years LOL.
Thanks to everyone,including "Madcaravanner",who thinks i am up to speed on "Gigs/Mega bites/Apps/down-uploads etc":rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: NO!! LOL.
Just taken Growler last walkies,sky is super,it feels as if you could reach out and touch the stars.
G'night.
Tea Bag

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Hi.
Get super night skies here,but there is a star that seems to be unwanted.
OK. Looking up at the moon now,it is crescent shaped,sitting on the bottom point,tilted slightly to the right,this star,if i hold my hand out,with the moon to the right of it,is a hands breadth to the left,roughly in a line horizontaly with the bottom point.

Check underneath it at ground level. If you see three kings on camels, heading East towards Skegness, then it signifies that on (or about) December 25th, a man in a red suit will climb down your chimney, (usually in the middle of the night), steal your mince pies, drink your beer, and, if your like me, leave you frig-all. :cry::cry:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

kings.jpeg

OP
OP
Tea Bag
Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
If it's new it's mums star she recently passed away.
Hi.
I will say "Hello" tonight,now i know its not a lonely star. Tell her to watch out for an old,(But STILL handsome...) "Slightly ?" tipsy bloke,walking/ambling...Rolling? around in the dark,on a hillside,in Portugal, with an Ancient...Border Collie, at mid night 'ish,that has the same gait.
Tea Bag.
PS. Tell her to only tip me a wink,as i am....DEAF. 'ish.

Reactions: CWH

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back